Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Getting an F-Body this year...problem is, which one?

Ive decided to try and make an investment into an F-Body car, problem is, im having debates between an SS (if I can find one), Z28, or TransAm (WS6).

I am about to be 18 and am about to start working for Cox Communications. I will still be living at home, and have wanted one of these cars for a while now. Im ready to start learning about high performance cars (and how to handle them one step at a time), but I am wondering what the best deal is.

TransAm,SS, or Z28? I am really confused and dont want to get one and think, "man I should have gotten the other one".

Thanks for any help !

Tyler

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

best deals depends on wht you really want options wise and miles. you best bet is to get a trans am, or an z28 but if you are still at home get what you really want now because you may not be able to later on. how much you want to spend? lets start there.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I prefer the hidden headlights of the TA, but then I have one. Also, I like the Coke bottle look of the TA over the Camaro when viewed from the rear 3/4, but then again I am biased. However, any of these with a manual trans is a great choice, and they get good MPG also. Don't forget about the stealth look of a Formula. Also, the TA has a better CAI than an SS. The airbox is better.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

I dont want anything over 54k on it, and I am willing to spend somewhere up in the range of 20grand +or- 2 grand. I have a squeeky clean driving record, btw. Does the WS6 T/A come with SLP?

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

for 20 i'd sell you mine but you would need a little more. plus i would feel bad if you killed yourself, look for a nice stock car then you can work on it yourself, and see they improvements and be proud of your work.
    check our section on here there are plenty.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you dont want his piece of junk^^^^

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Welcome to LS1.com brodband. I suppose you are a senior in high school, right? And living in a nice place...but then I'm biased since I grew up in Gulf Breeze and am in the process of moving back.

Don't rush it and just make sure you buy an F-body with the LS1 engine (1998-2002), regardless of whether it has the Chevrolet or Pontiac label. If I were you, I would want one loaded with options and still in stock condition (I like to do my own mods rather than buying one with someone else's mods). I prefer the 6-speed manual transmission, but you may not.

Search and search, don't buy the first one you see. There are still a good number of cherries out there.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Welcome to LS1.com brodband. I suppose you are a senior in high school, right? And living in a nice place...but then I'm biased since I grew up in Gulf Breeze and am in the process of moving back.

Don't rush it and just make sure you buy an F-body with the LS1 engine (1998-2002), regardless of whether it has the Chevrolet or Pontiac label. If I were you, I would want one loaded with options and still in stock condition (I like to do my own mods rather than buying one with someone else's mods). I prefer the 6-speed manual transmission, but you may not.

Search and search, don't buy the first one you see. There are still a good number of cherries out there.
    Yes I am still a Senior in high school.

Thanks for the welcome, Gulf Breeze is a nice place (I live in Pensacola). More than likely I will try to find one with a 6 speed, but I have heard that shifting all the time does get old. But I still have some time to decide. Would anyone might know about how much insurance will run me for a car like this? Ive got a clean driving record, and I will be making probably somewhere around 1554 a month after taxes.

Im really excited about getting such a nice car, I am curretnly driving a 4.3L Xtreme, and I have had it for about two years. I went to a car lot and was offered to take a 2002 Z28 for a test drive. Im sure you can all imagine what was going through my head when I stomped on the gas for the first time just to see what it had. I didnt really want to drive my truck after that lol. But, good things are worth waiting for, and I believe I have waited and my time is coming and I can feel it. All your support is appreciated too!

I still want to hear your opinions!!!

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    you dont want his piece of junk^^^^
    you must know of all my new "stuff" to be put in or on come spring or as soon as i can get to it. 500 plus to the wheels.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by brodband View Post
    Yes I am still a Senior in high school.

Thanks for the welcome, Gulf Breeze is a nice place (I live in Pensacola). More than likely I will try to find one with a 6 speed, but I have heard that shifting all the time does get old. But I still have some time to decide. Would anyone might know about how much insurance will run me for a car like this? Ive got a clean driving record, and I will be making probably somewhere around 1554 a month after taxes.

Im really excited about getting such a nice car, I am curretnly driving a 4.3L Xtreme, and I have had it for about two years. I went to a car lot and was offered to take a 2002 Z28 for a test drive. Im sure you can all imagine what was going through my head when I stomped on the gas for the first time just to see what it had. I didnt really want to drive my truck after that lol. But, good things are worth waiting for, and I believe I have waited and my time is coming and I can feel it. All your support is appreciated too!

I still want to hear your opinions!!!
    Shifting only gets old when you're stuck in traffic and constantly have to get in and out of the clutch. I don't have to deal with the "rush hour" traffic like those in the rat race of a 9-to-5 job, so my 6-speed is still fun for me after all these years.

Insurance will be somewhat of a problem for you because of your age and a sports car with a V8 engine. In Pensacola, it will cost you at least $2,000 per year for the minimum required coverages (assuming you will also have collision coverage) with a $500 deductible. That's more than twice what it would cost me, since I'm an old timer compared to you. Fortunately, the Western panhandle of Florida has the lowest price car insurance in the state, otherwise $3,000 per year would be more like it. I'm just giving a rough estimate, since I haven't checked the prices for your age lately ... I just know it will be more than doube what it would cost me.
    Last edited by GatorSS; 01-14-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Welcome Tyler!

If I were you i would get an SS or WS6 because you wont regret it.
    If you get the Z28 or Trans Am you will probably want to add the look of the SS or WS6 anyway.

Get the best you can get FIRST.

then the fun begins..........
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

go with an SS

Pewter
    02 Z28

I love my Z28 but I love the way a T/A looks a little bit more
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    go with an SS

cant go wrong with an SS

Navy Blue Pearl
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome on this Site. Take the Z, it's power and understatement
    Greetz to Big Apple

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    cant go wrong with an SS
    Is the price about the same as the WS6 and are they as easy to find?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by brodband View Post
    Is the price about the same as the WS6 and are they as easy to find?

from most of the ones ive looked at for sale the SS is a bit cheaper than the WS6, givin that the miles and options are about the same.

personally i like the back end, and hood of the SS better than the WS6. JMO

both are great cars!

black
    2002 WS6

WS6 all they way!!!! no bias here, nope not any Pontiac loyalist. Welcome to the forum lots of good stuff comes through. Get what ever will make you happy and can afford.

Bright Rally Red
    1996 Camaro SS

It all depends on your preferences. with your budget you can choose about anyone you want. My only stipulation is take your time. I wouldnt rush into it and look around. Im sure you will find "the one"

--------- Chris - 1996 Camaro Z28SS #1524 ---------
    LT4 Cam Kit | Comp Lifters/PR's | Jet Hot LT's & ORY | Corsa RSC Exhaust | SLP Bilstiens | S-C/D Rotors | 1LE Elbow | !EGR/AIR
    madZ tune | 17x11 Chrome ZR-1's | Berger Panel | Fillins | BMR STB | Autometer A/F & Trans Temp | !Mouldings | Zaino

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya I remember having the same problem. I looked at Trans Ams and Camaros at the same time. I ended up getting my SS with only 48,000 miles fully loaded for only 12,000. but then again we haggled witht he original owner. he wanted 14,500 at first. he seemed to like us. . anyways, I think both cars are awesome looking, especially the WS6's with their hoods. but then again, SS's are pretty damn awesome too. if you have 20 grand then I would definetly get a SS or WS6 tho. I'm sure you can find one with under 54,000 miles for that. either way, your friends will be jealous.

Thread Information