General info on LS1 engines

1. I would like to know what a typical unmodded LS1 makes for hp and tq at the crank?

2. I would like to know what a typical unmodded LS1 gets for gas mileage....both auto and manual transmission.

Thanks.

LS1 crank HP is average 350 HP 330 TQ
    milage on a corvette (all I have to go by) is on an automatic 15-17 city &
    22- 28 freeway combined average about 20

Actually isn't the 350 hp the "under rated" power of an LS1???

I'd be thinking in real world terms it would be closer to 400....at least that's what some have said, but I just wanted to verify here.

never heard of LS1's being underated in HP.--I had mine dynoed when I 1st bough it it was bone stock--it had 285 RWHP--coverting that to Crank HP by multilying by 1.22 (for an automatic) would make the Crank HP 348.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Ya like said above most LS1's will average between 345-350 FWHP
    with about an equal amount of torque.
    Mileage depends on Transmission the 6spds will get better mileage
    I average around 18-19 City and 29-30 on the Highway.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

The 2002 Camaro SS LS1s were under rated by approximately 30hp from a VERY RELIABLE source that had major play in the designing and production of the car.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Factory rating for a Z28 at the crank was 305hp for the first few years and then stepped up to 315hp for the last few. SS's & WS6's recieved a 10hp boost in the factory rating. In reality, all LS1's were making between 340 and 350hp at the crank on average.

Mileage to expect (assuming you drive like a normal person would drive their Honda for the entire tank) should be in the high teens/low twenties around town and mid-high twenties on the highway. Manual transmissions will average 1-2mpg better than autos.

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    never heard of LS1's being underated in HP.
    Yeah, I don't know how true it is but I had a few folks tell me the LS1's were underrated, probably for insurance reasons.....and that an LS1 was making close to 400 hp in stock form and 450 with some mods.

And don't the LS1 F bodies weigh 3500 + lbs? Yet they run low 13's out of the box?

I happen to have a 400 small block Chevy in my garage that I want to build to make 400-450 hp without having a radical idle. I was even planning on a fuel injection set up.

One of the car mags claimed they made 425 hp and 525 tq with a 400 sbc build with a set of Vortec heads and a hydraulic roller.

My goal is to make my 400 have the same if not more power than the LS1. I know the biggest thing the LS1 has going for it is the heads.

Yet I have folks telling me a stock LS1 would make more power than any mildly built 400 sbc unless I were to stick some wild hairy bumpstick in the 400.

black
    2002 WS6

The 400 SNC is a compleatly diffarent block then the LS1. but getting 400HP off a 400 isn't as hard as you may think, made easier by adding fuel injection. THe big reason why LS1s are soo good in power is the intake and head set up.

To get 400 HP out of a 400 SBC you will need (going off of what little i know) a good/very good flowing intake and fuel system that will meet your demands. A worked set of heads nice a port/polish, I can't see needing a "wild hairy bumpstick* as you put it. I can't give you exact numbers but something mildly agresive but still streetable should be good. A strong valve train and a blue print and balance will go along way as well.

I would advise caution in using vortec heads as 400 is a siamiese bore block asn you already know and requires steam holes in the head and head gaskets to keep from over heating.
    Last edited by Orcus79; 01-24-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: After thought

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    The 400 SNC is a compleatly diffarent block then the LS1. but getting 400HP off a 400 isn't as hard as you may think, made easier by adding fuel injection. THe big reason why LS1s are soo good in power is the intake and head set up.

To get 400 HP out of a 400 SBC you will need (going off of what little i know) a good/very good flowing intake and fuel system that will meet your demands. A worked set of heads nice a port/polish, I can't see needing a "wild hairy bumpstick* as you put it. I can't give you exact numbers but something mildly agresive but still streetable should be good. A strong valve train and a blue print and balance will go along way as well.

I would advise caution in using vortec heads as 400 is a siamiese bore block asn you already know and requires steam holes in the head and head gaskets to keep from over heating.
    True I understand an LS1 and a 400 sbc are two totally different animals.

I am aware of getting 400 hp from a 400 sbc.....as mentioned Car Craft got 425 hp/525 tq from one....though mags tend to inflate the numbers still in my book that's awesome...heck I'll bet that engine had little if any lope...

I also know about the drilling of steam holes in heads for 400 use. I was planning on having that done by the local machinist.

I'm just trying to make the same if not more power than an LS1 and the 400 is going into a vehicle I want to keep a Gen I block in.

black
    2002 WS6

Beyond what I gave you I know no more. I think that 400hp is very atainable from a 400 they were prety stout to start with.

Black
    1998 Trans am

Another reason the LS1 F bodies hp were underated, is because the engine was the same as in the Corvette. Normally the F body engines were detuned versions of the Corvette engine. Not so with the LS1's. GM could not have a lowly F body have equal power as the mighty Corvette, so 305 hp F body 350 hp Corvette, same motor. The Corvettes out perform the Fbodys because of an improved air intake and a lot less weight. Currently there is no parity between the two motors.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98ls1blackbird View Post
    Another reason the LS1 F bodies hp were underated, is because the engine was the same as in the Corvette. Normally the F body engines were detuned versions of the Corvette engine. Not so with the LS1's. GM could not have a lowly F body have equal power as the mighty Corvette, so 305 hp F body 350 hp Corvette, same motor. The Corvettes out perform the Fbodys because of an improved air intake and a lot less weight. Currently there is no parity between the two motors.
    Well...kind of. The earlier LS1's had some slight internal differences between the f-bodies and the C5. Also, looking at a tune from an '02 C5 vs an '02 f-body, the C5 commands a leaner (yet still rich) AFR and has a different timing curve than the f-body. So, there are differences between the two that may have contributed to 5-10hp. But, it wasn't much of anything major.

Search: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38701

About the only difference between the F body cars and the Corvette were the obvious visual ones besides weight--those are the Corvette has a differnet and better flowing air intake system and a different and better flowing exhaust ( true dual exhaust-2 mufflers- ) vs a Y pipe & a single exhaust pipe & muffler with 2 outlets.These would make the F body have less HP.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by 69Nova355 View Post
    Actually isn't the 350 hp the "under rated" power of an LS1???

I'd be thinking in real world terms it would be closer to 400....at least that's what some have said, but I just wanted to verify here.
    I herad at the crank its more like 375hp.. and TQ is 350

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

I received the info about being under rated by 30 HP from Scott Settlemire posting on 35THLE where I asked the question. He was Head of the Corvette/Camaro Team for Chevrolet up until 2002. Therefore, I have no doubt about it since he said it is so.

The difference between the Corvette LS1 and the Camaro LS1 (2002) is the exhaust AND the fact that Chevy put a truck cam into our LS1s because had they used the same cam as the Vette, the Camaro would have made more HP and Chevy couldn't have that!

Mike

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by SPECOPS94 View Post
    I received the info about being under rated by 30 HP from Scott Settlemire posting on 35THLE where I asked the question. He was Head of the Corvette/Camaro Team for Chevrolet up until 2002. Therefore, I have no doubt about it since he said it is so.

The difference between the Corvette LS1 and the Camaro LS1 (2002) is the exhaust AND the fact that Chevy put a truck cam into our LS1s because had they used the same cam as the Vette, the Camaro would have made more HP and Chevy couldn't have that!

Mike
    All F-body LS1s were underrated from day one. The 305-320HP ratings over the years were purely marketing. Any healthy F-body will put down 280+ rwhp with most in the 295-315rwhp range.
    The 2002 LS1 was the same as the 2001 LS1 with a greater chance of getting an LS6 block. The Corvette LS1 used a slightly different cam except in 1998 when they ran out of F-body cams and used the Corvette spec one. The "truck" cam was used to meet emissions with the EGR removed and was offset by the use of the LS6 intake. The result was the 2001-02 LS1s being the strongest not only in absolute HP, but having a better curve as well.
    Once modified, a LS1 is a LS1 is a LS1...

Thread Information