White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Fuel System Question

This may be the wrong forum for this question because it relates to my truck but it's the only car forum I'm part of so here goes.

I have a 2001 1500 Silverado with the 5.3L and recently I've been having issues starting it, it'll crank for 5 to 10 seconds at a time and then on second or 3rd try it'll start. Once it actually starts it runs fine.

I'm wondering if this may be my fuel pressure regulator and if so is it all part of the fuel pump assembly inside the tank? Any one ever had to replace one on a GM truck and how big a pain in the neck is it? Any help is appreciated.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

if you have a lift and a something like a trans jack you can get the fuel tank out in about 15 minutes. have you ever replaced your fuel filter, cleaned your TB or run fuel injector cleaner?? change the plugs and wires, seafoam your top end and run some marvel mystery oil in you tank to lube up the fuel pump

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

I've done the plugs and wires in the last 10,000 and have ran injector cleaner in the last 3000 miles but I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet. I might try that first but wouldn't that cause an issue while running as well?

I did forget to mention that every once in a while my fuel gage will drop to empty for a few seconds if I'm stopped for an extended period at a slight incline (even if my tank is full). Not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would first check your fuel pressure. It really sounds like the pump but no sense in pulling it until you know for sure. Pulling the tank on a truck is much easier than pulling it on an f-body. I didn't even have to jack my truck up but I also have zr2 suspension and a body lift. Made things much easier.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Will do, thank you both for the advice.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

having the same problem with my 2001 trans am, its the fuel pump i believe, do what i do(which was suggested by mrr23) turn the key to the on position without turning on the engine, allow the fuel pump to prime, when you hear it stop then turn the key back off, then do the same thing again and see if it starts right up no problem

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by '00T/A View Post
    having the same problem with my 2001 trans am, its the fuel pump i believe, do what i do(which was suggested by mrr23) turn the key to the on position without turning on the engine, allow the fuel pump to prime, when you hear it stop then turn the key back off, then do the same thing again and see if it starts right up no problem
    I've heard that before but wouldn't that only work for so long before your pump is completely shot?

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    I've heard that before but wouldn't that only work for so long before your pump is completely shot?
    well what you described sounds exactly like my problem, first turn of the key and it wont start no matter what, next one maybe, but then usually always by the third. or i can just flip the key, turn it off, flip it again and it will fire right up

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

One last follow up question related to this, does any one know where the fuel pressure regulator is located on these trucks?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

should be on the fuel rail on the left hand side, got a lil vacuum thingy that goes into it

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I'm a manager at an auto parts store and I sell 5 to 1 regulators vs. pumps, especially on gm's. Put a pressure tester on it and see what the pressure is. If it holds steady, but low pressure(not sure of exact psi) its generally the pump, if the pressure after a bit falls down close to zero, then its the regulator thats bad. Just my 3 cents

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

It was the pressure regulator, about five minutes to replace (would've been quicker if I didn't drop the little o ring) and truck runs great. Thank you all for the advice.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Hopefully this continues to work for you. You mentioned that your gas gauge drops once in a while. 9 out of 10 times its caused from a fuel pump drawing to many amps so it reflects on the sending unit side of the module harness. And almost every pump/module unit that I've changed on vehicles like yours also needs the connector update because the original connector has wimpy pins which can't handle the amp draw. GM automatically updated the replacement modules with the heavy duty connector set up. Just something to keep in mind.

Thread Information