Thread: Fuel pump woes

Sebring Silver
    1998 Z28

Fuel pump woes

Please help!!
    Hello having some fuel system issues my car started after being stored this winter rain for five minutes and then stalled. It did not start back up and I noticed that the fuel pump was no longer priming. I checked the fuse in the fuse was blown, so I replaced it and check the relayand still no fuel pump.I assume the fuel pump was bad and using the trapdoor method replace the fuel pump now the fuel pump turns on but I'm getting no gas to the fuel rail at the engine. I did change the fuel filter and to no avail.I am looking for any other ideas or solutions to this problem the car does have enough gas I did put 3 to 4 gallons in.
    Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks.
    Last edited by finkle745; 03-20-2015 at 05:08 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm going to guess that the hose popped off your fuel pump or it has a split in it.

If you replace that fuel line make sure you use sae 30R10 rated hose as it's rated submersible. R9 isn't rated submersible.
    Last edited by 0rion; 03-20-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Z28

Interesting, wouldn't that cause a leak? i plan on pulling the line off the filter just to make sure the new pump is actually pumping and getting gas at least that far.
    Thanks, I'll inspect the lines more closely.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I believe Tim is referring to the line inside the tank. There is a short section of semi-clear corrugated tubing between the pump and the metal lines that exit the tank. If the hose is split, the fuel will simply pump right back into the tank, with nothing getting to the engine.

Be very careful engaging the pump with a hose or line disconnected. The fuel system operates at 58 psi and will squirt it fast and hard -- wear eye/face protection and have a towel or something to deflect back splash. If you need further assistance, post up.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what kind of replacement did you use? Did you replace the whole module or did you take the pump out of the module and replace just that? Yeah....I was referring to the accordion style hose that goes from the pump to the top of the module. It sounds like either that hose has popped off or it has a split in the hose. If you did a whole module and that's a new hose it would make sense that it's popped off or something like that but if it's the original hose I would be looking at it for cracks.

Another thing are the lines at the top....make sure you have those on all the way. Maybe you didn't get one pushed up all the way or something.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Z28

I installed the complete assembly sold at AutoZone Spectra, Saw that it was made in China and was not happy but seems like good reviews on the Internet so I installed it. It was difficult to get seated properly so I question whether it is priming and pumping appropriately. I will next try to break down the line at the filter to see if it's actually pumping and then troubleshoot from there. Wouldn't be able to live with myself if I ended up telling it somewhere to get repaired. Thanks for all the replies it is appreciated

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

You can also try testing the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. The good thing is, if the pump happens to be bad, at least you did the trap door mod, and it will be an easy swap.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Z28

Update
    Pulled the line from the filter, cycled the pump, and only a small gush once pump engaged, took pump partly out of tank, disconnected the main fuel line and cycled pump again and again just a small squirt. Now the big question.....is a bad pump or is it just not getting proper voltage??
    ��������

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wouldn't be unheard of to get a bad pump but I would rule out everything else first.......you can check voltage at the plug above the rear axle. Did you check that feed hose on the pump? Also....just to make sure you got the right pump.....it shouldn't have a bucket on the pump. The bucket is for the 99+ cars.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Z28

Update,
    I believe I got a bad product out of the box, compared the pressure regulator valve with the one on the old assembly. Old one opened at 60psi, new one had no resistance at all, like it was stuck open. Gonna try to exchange pump now
    Thanks for the replies,
    Chris
    Last edited by finkle745; 03-22-2015 at 06:37 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

keep us updated.......good luck.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If the '98 is like later years, you can swap the pressure regulator. I changed mine out a couple of times searching for the correct fuel pressure.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if it were me I'd be taking that module back and ordering a racetronix pump which uses your stock module and swapping out just the pump.....cheaper and a much better pump.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^

It's what I did plus the wire harness too!!

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

^^^ Me also. Get the racetronix pump and hotwire kit. Great deal and not hard to do either.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Ditto.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Z28

Yes, got it done, finally. It was a bad fuel pressure regulator on the new assembly I ordered. Actually tested it with air compressor. Sent it back and installed a second new pump and popped right off. Thanks for all the help and responses!

I guess new doesn't always mean good,
    Another example of why to buy quality, time tested parts. #lessonlearned

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Been there, done that... more than once. Good to hear that you got it sorted out.

Thread Information