Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 SS

Fuel Pump Replacement

Does anybody have a link on how to replace the fuel pump?????? Or detailed info on how to do it??????????
    98SS A4, TSP CLR LID, LS6 INTAKE, BMR SFC/STB/ LWR CNTRL & TRQ ARMS, KYB ADJ., HOTCHKINS SWAY BARS, MSD WIRES, JETHOT LT/ORY, MAGNAFLO CATBACK, EIBACH PROKIT, 19" TSW WHEELS, PERMA COOL TRANY COOLER.

257.8 hp (MUSTANG-DYNO) b4 ANY MODS.
    13.6 1/4 mile

red
    00 camaro ss

I dont have a link, but I can explain it. You can do it the easy way or the hard way. easy way, cut a hole in the trunk to get access to the pump or hard way, remove exhaust panhard bar and tank. easy way less than an hour, hard way 4-5 hours.

I just replaced my fuel pump in my camaro. I started taking the exhaust off and then I thought "why cant I just cut a hole in the trunk?" Then I came on this board and asked around and someone hooked me up with some pics. It is simple just get a 1 1/2" hole saw and a saws all. just make sure you dont go to deep or you will cut the gas lines.

I know it sounds drastic cutting a whole in the trunk , but its not. It is all under the carpet. I just put a piece of sheet metal some silicone and some sheet metal screws back in place of the hole.

I will try and post some pics for you. as a matter of fact I can go back in my post history and find out who helped me.

red
    00 camaro ss

ha i found it here you go I hope this helps. http://ls1.com/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=5236

red
    00 camaro ss

oh and as far as the fuel pump goes get the walboro 255. It comes with detailed instructions. you can get this pump from your local speed shop for about 120 to 140 bucks. it is not hard at all.

Red
    1998 SS

thanks so much for the info, and hopefully u can find the pics. i tried to follow link, but gives me an error, i think its cause it a private message to you from someone else......any ways, if u find the pics, id aprreciate it. thanks.....

red
    00 camaro ss

Red
    1998 SS

has any one replaced the pump and harness kit, from racetronix......is this for real, will it help?????????or is it one of those things "u could do" to maybe get better function...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by sscrazy
    I dont have a link, but I can explain it. You can do it the easy way or the hard way. easy way, cut a hole in the trunk to get access to the pump or hard way, remove exhaust panhard bar and tank. easy way less than an hour, hard way 4-5 hours.

I just replaced my fuel pump in my camaro. I started taking the exhaust off and then I thought "why cant I just cut a hole in the trunk?" Then I came on this board and asked around and someone hooked me up with some pics. It is simple just get a 1 1/2" hole saw and a saws all. just make sure you dont go to deep or you will cut the gas lines.

I know it sounds drastic cutting a whole in the trunk , but its not. It is all under the carpet. I just put a piece of sheet metal some silicone and some sheet metal screws back in place of the hole.

I will try and post some pics for you. as a matter of fact I can go back in my post history and find out who helped me.
    Actually the hard way is tougher than that-you really need to take off the entire rear axle to get the tank completely out,it won't come out otherwise.You can get to the fuel pump with the tank hanging next to the axle and save some time-but it just barely comes out.This is for people who refuse to cut a hole in the body.Cutting a hole in the body would save a lot of time as your exhaust system may not co-operate without alot of persuasion-in the driveway this may be too much for the hobbyist.I did it to a customers car without cutting a hole in the floor in about three hours-but this was in a shop on a lift.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by redz284u
    has any one replaced the pump and harness kit, from racetronix......is this for real, will it help?????????or is it one of those things "u could do" to maybe get better function...
    I just got done installing mine. I'll know Mon if it helped.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Actually the hard way is tougher than that-you really need to take off the entire rear axle to get the tank completely out,it won't come out otherwise.You can get to the fuel pump with the tank hanging next to the axle and save some time-but it just barely comes out.This is for people who refuse to cut a hole in the body.Cutting a hole in the body would save a lot of time as your exhaust system may not co-operate without alot of persuasion-in the driveway this may be too much for the hobbyist.I did it to a customers car without cutting a hole in the floor in about three hours-but this was in a shop on a lift.
    Actually you don't have to remove the axle. Just move the panhard bars out of the way and it comes out easily.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It was a couple of months ago and I've worked on at least a hundred cars since then(literally)but the way I remember it was -I had the panhard bar and the sway bar and exhaust removed and the tank wasn't coming down.This one had a solid metal filler neck-I've heard they changed that in newer ones to a flexible connector now that I think about it.I think that was only for 93-anybody know more about this?edit-just by coincidence I was looking at the latest GM High Tech Performance mag (Oct 05) and they show a fuel pump install.Look on page 25 and you'll see the guy doing one like I did with the solid filler neck.They're saying that it's a 94 only thing-figures that's the year that I worked on.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 10-02-2005 at 05:23 PM.

ASC conversion # 11745
    2002 Black ebony WS6 M6

I just bought a Racetronix FP kit and hope it works good. I cut a hole in mine for access

Black

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    It was a couple of months ago and I've worked on at least a hundred cars since then(literally)but the way I remember it was -I had the panhard bar and the sway bar and exhaust removed and the tank wasn't coming down.This one had a solid metal filler neck-I've heard they changed that in newer ones to a flexible connector now that I think about it.I think that was only for 93-anybody know more about this?
    That might be the difference. Mine is flexible.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

see my edit above

Red
    1998 SS

just to let u guys know, right before i ordered the fuel pump, i decided to do one last test. my car was having a hard time starting when the fuel would be less than half full, so i thought its got to be the fuel pump, so i decided to replace it.....but right before i did i measured the fuel pressure and it was right at 58 lb's.....so i then figured it has to be something else as i've read here it should be at about 58lbs.....so i by some fluke decided to change the air filter from the k&n to a reagular fram, and bahhhhhm, problem gone....???????? i dont get it..........

anyways just thought id share that with you all, i am still gonna replace the pump as soon as i get it, and i thank all of you for the help on the swap.....

Black

Well it helped me. Before my pressure would drop from 58 to 40 on the dyno. Now it never dropped below 50.

Black

just to let u guys know, right before i ordered the fuel pump, i decided to do one last test. my car was having a hard time starting when the fuel would be less than half full, so i thought its got to be the fuel pump, so i decided to replace it.....but right before i did i measured the fuel pressure and it was right at 58 lb's.....so i then figured it has to be something else as i've read here it should be at about 58lbs.....so i by some fluke decided to change the air filter from the k&n to a reagular fram, and bahhhhhm, problem gone....???????? i dont get it..........

anyways just thought id share that with you all, i am still gonna replace the pump as soon as i get it, and i thank all of you for the help on the swap.....
    Sure the pressure might be 58 at idle, but what is it when you get on it??

But since you run a K&N, do you recently oil it? You may have used too much and got some oil on the MAF wires.

More info like this helps in solving your problem. I thought you just wanted to switch your pump.

Red
    1998 SS

well went home and did a real fuel pressure psi test and at start up reg. 58 psi. then when gradually rev'd up to 6k rpm drop to 56 psi, then when i just floored it to 6k rpm drop to 52 psi.

so can i assume that the pump is good and dont need to replace, since the car starts up good now???????

Black

Just reving it isn't going to tell you if the pump is bad.

Lets go at this another way. Why do you think you have a bad pump??

Red
    1998 SS

because when the tank is less than half empty it has a hard time starting....but if i fill up, starts right up......so i was told, by several members probably was the fuel pump not creating much preassure, there for when tank full, compensating making pump work less.......

kinda made sense at first....

Thread Information