Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

fuel pump assistance from anyone please

I'm looking to upgrade my in-tank fuel pump to at least 240 LPH or higher. My T/A is a 2001 returnless system. I'm being told that there is not one on the market, that the ones being sold for LS1 f-bodies are only good for the 98-99 cars that have a return fuel system and the 2 different fuel systems require different type of pumps (the way they are processed). Can anyone shed some light on this, any sponsors with some insight? Thanks for any help.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you were told wrong. 98+ f-bodies all have a returnless system. The main difference is in the tank and pump itself. The 98's use a metal tank that has baffles in it, the 99+ f-bodies have a plastic tank and the pump is in a bucket with a venturi feed. The only return systems that I'm aware of were on the vettes.
    You may check with Matt at Harris Speed Works and see what they have to offer pump wise. I have the racetronix kit in mine that I *thought* was a 255L/hr walbro but after looking at their site I see they state it's a 235 L/hr @58psi. The kit is PnP compatible with the msd pump boosters so that's an option too.
    Here's a link to the racetronix kit for the 99+ f-bodies. I highly recommend the kit, it's a great kit and racetronix has done their homework on it. The install instructions were great.
    http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=330&page=1

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i have the walbro 255lph intank pump and the racetronics hot wire kit. the person you spoke with was told incorrect.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Thanks for the input guys. It's been a few years since I've had a 98 or 99 fbody in the shop to work on and I couldn't remember thier fuel system set up so I was taking his word on it.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    i have the walbro 255lph intank pump and the racetronics hot wire kit. the person you spoke with was told incorrect.

Let me ask you this, do you have the low or high pressure pump that is offered by Walbro? And what is the hot wire kit all about? Is that to keep higher voltage to the pump instead of the varied voltage? Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The hotwire kit goes directly to the back of the alternator to keep the voltage up, so yes. I'm gonna have to look at the pumps again because I could've swore that the racetronix kits had the 255l/hr pump but HSP's site says differently.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Do any of you guys have any issues with too much fuel pressure running these hot wire kits? It seems like at idle or at lower speeds where fuel pressure demand is low that it would be too much.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your regulator should keep that from being an issue.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

Does a 2002 Trans Am have a returnless system and/or a fuel pressure regulator?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by mghawk57 View Post
    Does a 2002 Trans Am have a returnless system and/or a fuel pressure regulator?
    yes, returnless system with a regulator in the tank.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

Thak you - I've got that answer now 3 times - must be right - should have asked
    here 1st

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    your regulator should keep that from being an issue.
    Your making me feel better about it, thanks. I was e-mailing one of our sponsors (neweraperformanceparts) and he mentioned that the fuel trim pcm self learning will also assist my changes but he recommended a good engine tuning which I planed on getting next month anyways.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackbird View Post
    Let me ask you this, do you have the low or high pressure pump that is offered by Walbro? And what is the hot wire kit all about? Is that to keep higher voltage to the pump instead of the varied voltage? Thanks.
    i have the high pressure. the hot wire kit just keeps a constant 13 volts by running a larger wire from the alternator to the plug in at the tank. here's a pic of the harness

http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX...99-FPWHG-2.jpg

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackbird View Post
    Do any of you guys have any issues with too much fuel pressure running these hot wire kits? It seems like at idle or at lower speeds where fuel pressure demand is low that it would be too much.
    fuel pressure at idle is 58psi. at WOT it drops slightly. with the hot wire kit, the fuel pressure went to 62psi and stayed around 58psi all through the rpms.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    fuel pressure at idle is 58psi. at WOT it drops slightly. with the hot wire kit, the fuel pressure went to 62psi and stayed around 58psi all through the rpms.
    Sounds good to me. I just ordered the pump and hot wire kit. Hopefully I'll have it by this weekend to install. Thanks again.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Actually, our cars ARE return style fuel systems, just different than what pops into your head when you think of a return system. If you follow the pump's output line from the bucket for a few feet under the car, it goes into a TEE fitting. Of the TEE's two "outputs", one goes up front to feed the rails and the other returns (yep, there's the word) to the bucket where it goes through the regulator and back into the tank. The issue with this of course, is that a regulator in the tank on a short return has a problem keeping the fuel pressure really regulated up front during high demand or transistional demand.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

So Frost are you saying after a given horsepower that a dual in tank system won't work and than you have to set up a new fuel line and true return.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

IMO, to really see the benefit of a dual pump setup you need to increase the size of the line running to the fuel rails anyways. At that point the existing feed makes a great return! Tons of great info on this at ls1tech too...

-Eagle

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Actually, our cars ARE return style fuel systems, just different than what pops into your head when you think of a return system. If you follow the pump's output line from the bucket for a few feet under the car, it goes into a TEE fitting. Of the TEE's two "outputs", one goes up front to feed the rails and the other returns (yep, there's the word) to the bucket where it goes through the regulator and back into the tank. The issue with this of course, is that a regulator in the tank on a short return has a problem keeping the fuel pressure really regulated up front during high demand or transistional demand.
    were you in virginia beach this week end for the car show?

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i eas told by sean at va speed to buy a set of rails and bigger injectors use the stock line a return and run dash 8 to tank with high flow pump. I have an 02 ss with sts. they say with the new 255 pump they just put in my injectors are still at 107% duty cycle. what should I do.

Thread Information