2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Fuel problems and lots of them.

I don't even know where to begin.

For starters I have a horrible exhaust leak, I know my 02 sensors are bad and yes, the light is on. I couldn't afford to fix it until now, considering I have to pull the head off to fix the exhaust leak and all the gaskets needed to do this were beyond what I could afford until now, along with the O2 sensors.

BUT

yesterday, on my way home, I have it on cruise control and it starts jerking, like its trying to run out of gas. But there's half a tank in it at this point. By the time i make it home, 35 miles or so, my gas tank is empty. It sucked all that gas jerking and shuddering. Get home check the spark plug wires and various other little things. Noticed that my passenger side 02 sensor wire has been ripped in half, the old man next door told me last night that he looked like that to him last week. (thanks for telling me)

Get in the car this morning, put more gas in it, ran fine until it really warmed up, then it starts jerking and shuddering again. Sucks all that gas I just put in it almost gone. When I got on the highway this morning a big cloud of dark smoke filled the air all of a sudden. Its also smells like gas in the car pretty bad.

Is the feeling of running out of gas because of all the issues combined or something new? To drink a tank of gas in 60 miles is obsurd!!! Please give me some suggestions. Im pulling my hair out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What is it idling at? 800 rpm or 3000?

Do you have LT's? Dead Front O2 sensors will cause the pcm to increase fuel flow and also bad leaks if they are in the vicinity of the O2's, thus the cloud of black smoke. I lost an O2 after I was doing some work on my clutch. By lost I mean the O2 stripped the bung and popped out when I did a test drive. Ran like shit till I got another bung welded in and replaced the O2.

Where are the exhaust leaks? At the head or some where else?

It could be a stuck fuel injectors? But you would also experience hydro-lock first if that was the case. You could pull the plugs that will let you know for sure.

Also check the fuel pressure at the rail, should be around 50 psi.

BTW that is a lot of gas to lose in 60 miles, have you checked for leaks? Tank, fuel lines, fuel filter, at the fuel rail, around the injectors? Check this while in idle and have some one give it a rev or 2?

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

It idles perfect, 800 rpm even with this issue. No leaks anywhere. Fuel pressure is good. I have LTs. The exhaust leak is between the header and head on passenger side, the very last bolt.

Its been sitting 3 hours and I just jumped in it to go to post office and it ran fine.

Maybe the crapped out 02's. I just dont know. I really think its the sensors, but I want to run down any other possibilities. Especially since the 02 wire on passenger side is chopped in half. But its been like that a week and this issue came up last night.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

He may have thought it was hanging low but not yet gone. You may have run over something that caught it and torn it in 2 and that is why you now have it all of a sudden.

Let me guess the rear bolt broke in the head right?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

If you O2 sensor wire is ripped in half, I'd peg that as the major part of your problem. The exhaust leak won't help, but won't cause the fuel mileage your describing. Throw new O2s on the front.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    He may have thought it was hanging low but not yet gone. You may have run over something that caught it and torn it in 2 and that is why you now have it all of a sudden.

Let me guess the rear bolt broke in the head right?
    Lol

Been that way several months. I've been putting exhaust goop/seal on it. But finally can afford to fix it the right way this weekend. I'm so ready to get my gas mileage back, and quiet engine bay, and non smellie car back.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    If you O2 sensor wire is ripped in half, I'd peg that as the major part of your problem. The exhaust leak won't help, but won't cause the fuel mileage your describing. Throw new O2s on the front.
    Thats what I was thinking, but I needed to hear that from others.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'd recommend the sensors with the full length harness too. Bosch 13111s are what many use. I've heard of too many problems with the extensions.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with replacing the front O2s. The rears don't really affect drivability, but once the fronts go really bad, oh boy. Odor, and stuttering. Not fun at all.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'll say +3 on the O2's. The (2) fronts are what monitor the exhaust gases and send a voltage signal back to the PCM telling it how much fuel to deliver. Black smoke is indicative of the car running really rich (too much fuel). You probably will see a bunch of black soot in your tailpipes also.

Keep us up to date Jodi!

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Thanks Jon.

Got it all apart this weekend, and encountered all kinds of other issues, things unplugged, pcv houses not attached, missing gaskets.

Hopefully tonight will have her all lined out.

Thread Information