Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 Z28

Unhappy Fuel Filter: FRAM?

As my car is about to go back together, I am attending to final details. The fuel filter: I might as well replace it with the engine out of the frame. Unfortunately, the only filter I could get at my parts store is a FRAM! Are FRAM fuel filters worth installing? Is there anything better out there?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Fram FUEL filters are fine

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

i have one...it does its job....why does everyone dislike fram oil filters?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    i have one...it does its job....why does everyone dislike fram oil filters?
    Because they are junk

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I was watching Shade Tree Mechanic, or whatever they are calling it these days, two guys garage I think? And they go to an engine building place, they have super special dino's set up and engines alone mounted to transmissions putting drag on them to see how long they could run and see damage. All their engines had FRAMS on them. I was like wtf, 1500HP dyno and they use FRAMS?!?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Because they are junk
    what makes you claim this?

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I used to use frams on my jeep. till I cut one open after I changed the oil and saw that the inside was coming apart. I use a mobile one or a k&n. Fuel filters I tend to use puroilater
    but that is because they are more available at the local parts store

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    I used to use frams on my jeep. till I cut one open after I changed the oil and saw that the inside was coming apart. I use a mobile one or a k&n. Fuel filters I tend to use puroilater
    but that is because they are more available at the local parts store
    illtry that next oil change...sure the filter didnt fall apart during the whole cuttin of the filter?

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I looked at the whole thing. It was the bottom part away from where I cut, Im not saying that they all do this, but one was enough to turn me off from the things

White
    2001 Z28

THANKS FOR THE INPUT! I will use a FRAM for the FUEL, and avoid them for the oil.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

what makes you claim this?
    I found this in another thread...

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure releif valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

From http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html

I have also heard of fram filters actually collapsing internally on start up and staying that way, in turn you have no oil pressure or very low pressure because the it is blocking the oil flow. There was a guy on the monte carlo forum I'm on that had this problem.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

wow great read..thx for the input...but until a fram blows on me..im sticking to fram.....been using them for yrs ..nothing has happened yet..but im sure just like any product,theirs always a dud

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

wow great read..thx for the input...but until a fram blows on me..im sticking to fram.....been using them for yrs ..nothing has happened yet..but im sure just like any product,theirs always a dud
    seriously dude, the are no good they might not fall apart on you but i gaurantee that they are not filtering your oil. its your choice but it would be a much wiser choice to spend 2 extra bucks and opt for a wix

black
    2002 WS6

See above I am another big fan of wix or napa brand, they are made by the sqme company if I am not mistaken. Dad has been using them for many years, he was using fram before and cut one open, he did the same to wix and founs the pleating to be superiour to the fram. I see it in air filters too between fram and most other "premium" paper filters in plete density and consistancy, the frams fall way behind in both contexts. There is a reason why fram can be found at wal mart. Thinmk about it.

Another thing to think about is that I donlt think fram, even though they are owned by alied (sp?) signal, don't seem to be found in industrial aplications.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

oh wix...many people have recommended wix...they don't have em at autozone..where would you go about buying these?

What everyone has been saying is true about Fram oil filters, they are junk. Why wait until it kills your engine to change brands, when you could just put quality products on in the first place. Fram has a great advertising campaign and that is how they sell their product, it is not because they have better quality at all. I personally think that if you own a GM product why not run a AC Delco filter, they are rated by consumer reports as being of high quality for the price you pay for them.

oh wix...many people have recommended wix...they don't have em at autozone..where would you go about buying these?
    Wix filters can be purchased from Napa stores and they are good filters, but you will pay a few extra dollars.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

carquest premium filters are they same thing as wix filters just diffrent box all made by the same company

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

i just bought a Fam filter im going to put it in next week
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ApexVIII View Post
    i just bought a Fam filter im going to put it in next week
    I think you mean FRAM oil filter. If so thats a big mistake, take it back and buy a wix or another filter thats compatiable. FRAM oil filters =

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    I think you mean FRAM oil filter. If so thats a big mistake, take it back and buy a wix or another filter thats compatiable. FRAM oil filters =
    FRAM oil filters=

Thread Information