2002 trans am ws6

Fram ultra guard oil filter

Long story short they don't sell the xtended guard filter anymore, so I bought the ultra guard. It has the same number as the xtended guard. The this is that I install this filter and now the pressure gauge is reading like 75 sometimes 80. Will this harm my engine. Thank fellows

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Son of a B -- you are right. I just went to their website and the Xtended Guard filters are no longer listed. I don't know a thing about the Ultras, but they appears to have synthetic media, a silicone drainback valve and a support screen for the filter media. No sign of cardboard like their cheaper filters. I would run it.

2002 trans am ws6

Will the higher pressure harm the engine though?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No oil filter on the market will result in an harmful increase in oil pressure.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just curious, what was your oil pressure prior to the swap and oil change?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

On cold startup, the pressure will always be a bit higher. What is it after the engine has been brought up to temperature?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

My 02 SS reads 80 when cold at idle and when it worms it never goes below 50 psi at idle and it will go to 70 psi hot off idle. That being said our gauges are not accurate but close enough for DD. 80 psi will never hurt an LSx engine. Don't worry. BTW, I stopped using Fram filters when I found out they used cardboard inside. K&N gold filters all the way.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

2002 trans am ws6

Before the oil change it would be like 60-70 on cold starts. When it got up to running temp it would be at 55-65. Now even if it is at running temp and I hit 4000rpms it will almost hit the 80 mark. If it is just at idle I would say like 60.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I did noticed the change to the ultra filters on my last oil change. I have about 1k miles on it and i haven't noticed any issues with pressure. They seem to still be a great filter.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Agree K&N, few extra bucks, also has a bolt head on for easy removal up next to the oil pan

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

When I ran K&N in the past I had higher oil preasure.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

The gauges in our vehicles are "electronic" opposed to "mechanical", so what I am trying to say is that you are not going to get an accurate reading.

My oil pressure sensor was leaking on my 2001 Z28 (Sara), after replacing the sensor, the new reading is now higher than the old reading even before the sensor started leaking, I did not change the oil or filter when the sensor was replaced.

If you want a correct reading purchase an aftermarket mechanical gauge, and have it installed by passing the vehicles computer.

SteveC

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    The gauges in our vehicles are "electronic" opposed to "mechanical", so what I am trying to say is that you are not going to get an accurate reading.

My oil pressure sensor was leaking on my 2001 Z28 (Sara), after replacing the sensor, the new reading is now higher than the old reading even before the sensor started leaking, I did not change the oil or filter when the sensor was replaced.

If you want a correct reading purchase an aftermarket mechanical gauge, and have it installed by passing the vehicles computer.

SteveC
    I agree the gauges are not accurate and a mechanical gauge is better.

But when the only thing that was changed was the filter (the oil was change too, but it was the same brand and weight) and the gauge reads higher. And does so for several of the same brand filters. You know the filter caused the oil preasure to get higher. The same thing happend in my '89 GMC P/U when I switched to K&N. When I switched to NAPA Gold it went back done some.

Thread Information