Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Formula starts then immediately dies

Hey guys and girls. Got a puzzler for ya. I realize it's nearly impossible to diagnose a car over the internet but I hope someone can take a crack at it for me. My buddy's 96 formula A4 is all stock with 115k mi. I installed a new opti/plugs/wires in the spring of 09. I also installed new ignition module and coil in the summer of this year. It has a slight bump in the idle occasionally at a stop but I felt that could be an injector. Anyway, after work today, he started it up and it croaked right away. It does have a faulty ignition switch that only will unlock the wheel after you start it with the remote start. It does NOT start with the key. This has been that way for a few months. It also would not stop cranking after a few tries with the remote start. Anyway, I told him I had no clue and to call for a ride. I do know my way around LT1 cars as I do have one and I have rebuilt my engine. Runs great too. This is beyond me. Fuel pump? oil pressure switch? W T Heck? I have a new opti harness wire ordered since the original won't stay plugged in and that has caused it to die a few times but it starts right up every time. Today it started and I was able to rev it to about 4500-5000rpm and that maybe lasted 2 seconds. I got nothin. Any help is greatly appreciated.....

NBM
    1998 Z-28

I would start by fixing the ignition switch problem, that can cause lots of odd problems. If problems still persist I would take a look at that remote start system.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by kensz28 View Post
    Hey guys and girls. Got a puzzler for ya. I realize it's nearly impossible to diagnose a car over the internet but I hope someone can take a crack at it for me. My buddy's 96 formula A4 is all stock with 115k mi. I installed a new opti/plugs/wires in the spring of 09. I also installed new ignition module and coil in the summer of this year. It has a slight bump in the idle occasionally at a stop but I felt that could be an injector. Anyway, after work today, he started it up and it croaked right away. It does have a faulty ignition switch that only will unlock the wheel after you start it with the remote start. It does NOT start with the key. This has been that way for a few months. It also would not stop cranking after a few tries with the remote start. Anyway, I told him I had no clue and to call for a ride. I do know my way around LT1 cars as I do have one and I have rebuilt my engine. Runs great too. This is beyond me. Fuel pump? oil pressure switch? W T Heck? I have a new opti harness wire ordered since the original won't stay plugged in and that has caused it to die a few times but it starts right up every time. Today it started and I was able to rev it to about 4500-5000rpm and that maybe lasted 2 seconds. I got nothin. Any help is greatly appreciated.....
    Possibly the wrong resistor in the key.. Or someone made a copy of the original key (blanks from a hardware store don't come with resistors in them).. As stated, get the ignition issue straitened out first then go from there.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Thanks. Thats what i thought too. Ill tell him

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

thanks

Thread Information