Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Flickering oil PSI gauge?

So my oil PSI gauge flickers sometimes, its nothing extreme like 20-60psi but when I'm sitting at a light then it'll slightly flicker the needle around 40psi (normal idle psi) under acceleration its fine and holds normal pressure (about 60psi). Car has 79k miles and I use Pennzoil platinum 5-30... anybody else seen this? I know these gauges suck

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Could be the OPSU having an issue, a slightly loose wire connection, or just the guage itself. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could go with an aftermarket guage setup just to be safe.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Mine does the same thing. Typically it only does it once the car has been driven for awhile, and it only does it with the car in gear. Not too worried about it since pressure seems fine otherwise.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Could be the OPSU having an issue, a slightly loose wire connection, or just the guage itself. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You could go with an aftermarket guage setup just to be safe.
    I'll probably end up doing this along with a water temp gauge since both suck on the 02's, is it difficult to wire one up?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Or this one....My oil gauge moves to the beat of my music No shit! If i mute the stereo or shut it off..it stays on the correct pressure but when the musics playing it moves with the beat of the music!!The stereo is the factory monsoon - no aftermarkets-..now it has been replaced once under warranty(the stupid illumination lights went out,,,and so did this one eventually)..possible bad ground with stereo? If so why would this affect the oil guage?
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-05-2012 at 04:50 PM.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Mine flickered a bit and read a little low,put a new OPSU in when I did the LS6 intake and no more flicker and I have a good strong reading which is backed up by how the car runs.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Or this one....My oil gauge moves to the beat of my music No shit! If i mute the stereo or shut it off..it stays on the correct pressure but when the musics playing it moves with the beat of the music!!The stereo is the factory monsoon - no aftermarkets-..now it has been replaced once under warranty(the stupid illumination lights went out,,,and so did this one eventually)..possible bad ground with stereo? If so why would this affect the oil guage?
    Anyone???

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Anyone???
    disco inferno? Help Mr.Wizard.....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

OP - your oil pressure readings match mine. I would suspect the same as posted by Knight - just be damn careful poking around behind your intake. There is a great writeup on here by junkyarddog on plumbing in an aftermarket gauge. I know the temp gauge in anything other than a '98 model year car is a POS, but the oil pressure gauge from the factory seems to work well and I have seen few complaints on here.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a ground or connection issue to me. There is a ground on the back of the driver side head that is a PITA to get to -- has the secondary air been removed or any work done in that area? Any other accessories installed, such as an aftermarket alarm?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sounds like a ground or connection issue to me. There is a ground on the back of the driver side head that is a PITA to get to -- has the secondary air been removed or any work done in that area? Any other accessories installed, such as an aftermarket alarm?
    Where? against the firewall? No to the secondary air at least I never touched it...It seems to have started after the 1st factory Monsoon stereo went out and second installed at GM dealership? But unfortunately i cant say that for sure No to any other accesories,No aftermarket alarm...The only work i had done was the LT`s,and when they did that they put in plugs and MSD wires----but it didnt happen til way after that so? kinda a stumper but not serious just annoying.huh ive got my OP gauges needle boppin to the beat all i need now is the fog and mirror ball NOT!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Might not be a bad idea to pull the head unit yourself and look everything over. I have the books for the '02 and can pinpoint the ground for the system. The one on the back of the head just seems to be the one people have had issues with, usually after a secondary air delete as they don't realize the back bolt is also a ground.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Might not be a bad idea to pull the head unit yourself and look everything over. I have the books for the '02 and can pinpoint the ground for the system. The one on the back of the head just seems to be the one people have had issues with, usually after a secondary air delete as they don't realize the back bolt is also a ground.
    So theres a ground bolt actually into the head on the dr side?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Very back of the head. With a mirror you can see it from up top.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Gauges on our cars suck !!!
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Thanks!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

[QUOTE=dcrghujuikhjd;2796866]. The North Face Jacket
    THe North Face Outlet
    North Face Jackets Men
    [url=http://www.thenorthfacesclub.com/north-face-equipment-c-32.html]North Face Equipment[/

Thread Information