Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Indigo Blue
    2000 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

It finally broke...

yesterday i was turning a corner and got on it a little bit.. only about a 3 grand clutch pop. anyways when i let it out.. i heard a loud pop followed by grinding and a difference in ride height... i pulled over as soon as possible and tried to find out what broke... it sounded like i broke the rear diff but so far it only looks like i busted out both rear shocks and TORE the torque arm right near the bottom bolt in the rear. i havent had a chance to get up into it in detail... wondering if anyone knows a good shop to have it towed to.. *sighs* it was bound to happen sometime...

2000 Trans Am

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by DW2000TA View Post
    yesterday i was turning a corner and got on it a little bit.. only about a 3 grand clutch pop. anyways when i let it out.. i heard a loud pop followed by grinding and a difference in ride height... i pulled over as soon as possible and tried to find out what broke... it sounded like i broke the rear diff but so far it only looks like i busted out both rear shocks and TORE the torque arm right near the bottom bolt in the rear. i havent had a chance to get up into it in detail... wondering if anyone knows a good shop to have it towed to.. *sighs* it was bound to happen sometime...

2000 Trans Am
    how many miles do you have on it? cuz i love to pop my clutch around the corners
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

WoW! That sucks, but I have heard of that happening, but I don't think its that common. What are you going to replace it with?
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 03-01-2007 at 07:11 AM.

Junior Member Team Ramrod Customs's Avatar

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I broke my tourqe arm also and the drive shaft at the same time by accidently shifting from 6th to 2nd. No problem though, Summit Racing has an Edlebrock adjustable tourqe arm that is wonderful. They also have an alluminum drive shaft that can handle way more hp then the stock on. I purchased both for like $505 shipped to my door. I just checked summitracing.com, the tourqe arm alone is $215.95 + S&H- part# EDL-5282.

Indigo Blue

i just hit 102k on the odometer..i put alot of miles on it going back and forth from fl to ft. bragg NC. im thinking of just going ahead and putting a 12 bolt in it with 4.10's and a new aluminum driveshaft prolly from summit... also i was told that bilstein HD's would be the best to replace them with.. prolly throw a new panhard rod in there and get a front sway bar to add to stability.. new rear brakes and def new tires... i need good control when responding to a fire call...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Team Ramrod Customs View Post
    I broke my tourqe arm also and the drive shaft at the same time by accidently shifting from 6th to 2nd. No problem though, Summit Racing has an Edlebrock adjustable tourqe arm that is wonderful. They also have an alluminum drive shaft that can handle way more hp then the stock on. I purchased both for like $505 shipped to my door. I just checked summitracing.com, the tourqe arm alone is $215.95 + S&H- part# EDL-5282.
    How do you go from 6th to 2nd?

Junior Member Team Ramrod Customs's Avatar

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

You try to go from 6th to 4th and then realize that at the time you have only owned the car for 48 hours and miss 4th and hit 2nd. It was dumb, but we learn from our mistakes.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

what is a 3grand clutch pop??? i think i can figure it out, but are you saying while you took a turn, you reved to 3k and dropped the clutch from neutral?

i'm surprised that would do so much damage!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I broke my tourqe arm also and the drive shaft at the same time by accidently shifting from 6th to 2nd...
    how the fuck did you not face plant into your windshield and/or blow your motor? how do you go from 6th -2nd? damn...

i have driven manuals from day one (4, 5, 6spd) and a 6spd camaro for 8 years and have never pulled that all-star move...

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    what is a 3grand clutch pop??? i think i can figure it out, but are you saying while you took a turn, you reved to 3k and dropped the clutch from neutral?

i'm surprised that would do so much damage!
    in a turn the load is not equal on both rear wheels, the inside wheel is carrying more load, so more than likely it was the inside wheel axle that gave out...

Indigo Blue

turns out i tore the torque arm. ripped the yoke out.. cracked my panhard rod blew out both rear shocks.. bent the drive shaft and wore some serious damage on my tires... i priced everything o need to fix it from summitracing.com and came up with about 2k... cheaper than i thought it would be which is a relief..so im fixing and upgrading the suspension all at the same time.. makeing it lower switching wheel and rim size and replacing the broken stuff... should run alot better around corners @ 40 to 50 mph in route to fire calls..i know i know im just asking for damage but im an adreneline junky what can i say..

Red
    2001 t/a ws6

Sounds like you need to try an automatic!

holy chit ! - A4 4 u pal !

red black
    98Z28

I take it that you are a volunteer fire fighter. And knowing that a fire doubles every minute I can see the need to get on scene as quick as possible. But driving over the speed limit in your pov is against the law and in our department if you were caught breaking traffic laws in a responce situation you would be dismissed from the department. Surely don't need you or innocent people killed in trying to put out a fire. Good luck with your car. Adrenalin junkies are usually the ones killed in the performance of their duties. Did they teach you anything in 101?
    Last edited by 89RS&98Z28; 03-13-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Indigo Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 89RS&98Z28 View Post
    I take it that you are a volunteer fire fighter. And knowing that a fire doubles every minute I can see the need to get on scene as quick as possible. But driving over the speed limit in your pov is against the law and in our department if you were caught breaking traffic laws in a responce situation you would be dismissed from the department. Surely don't need you or innocent people killed in trying to put out a fire. Good luck with your car. Adrenalin junkies are usually the ones killed in the performance of their duties. Did they teach you anything in 101?
    who do you think you are...you dont know if i break traffic laws or not...i get to the scene safely and in a timely manner..thats all there is to it...

Silver
    2002 Z28

I havent had a 6 speed for too long, but 6 to 2 shift? That just doesnt make any sense... I have pulled 5 to 4 a few time, and even started in 3, but 6 to 2

flat black
    5th to 4th...wouldnt that be considered a common shift...what are you emplying by that one...6th to 2nd is actually fairly common especially with a short shifter and if your gates are worn then it just kinda slides right past 4th and hits second then you go ohhh crap and kick it right back out of second

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

If you make a mistake like 6th to 2th, you obviuosly shouldn't be driving a 6speed or you need way more practice cause your a rookie!

Silver
    2002 Z28

Well, consider my 6spd is an Acura TSX I do not race it much haha. So a commom shift to me was 5th to 6th... When I first got it, and it was my first time using a stick shift, I would hit into 4th. No too bad, it has very short shifts stock. But either way, 6 to 2 is bad.

flat black
    oh def i agree 6th to 2nd is aweful normally brakes lots of stuff..ive heard of several people tearing out driveshafts and braking yokes off the pinions, i think the worst i ever done was 6th to 3rd but i was doin 80 in 6th and i wanted those last few RPMS out of third gear so i could get the jump on a guy

Thread Information