Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Few random questions..

Hey guys these are some random questions lol but i was wondering if i can get some answers..

1.Whats true bout A/C? How bad does it affect the ls1? And does it make a difference whether on high or low? Ive heard many mixed answers from people..

2.I was considering buying the helms service manual..Anyone know a good digital manual i can buy? I have haynes but i want something detailed..and better pictures preferable..popout book would be perfect...=p

3. There is a little knock on starts that i was told might be carbon buildup. The noise pretty much disappears when the car warms. No difference in power/mileage. Was told it was around a 90 dollar fix from my mechanic. He didnt do a full diagnostic of that yet tho. Was off top of head. Hes a smart dood but i figured id ask you guys.

4. When i serviced the differential fluid awhile back..i was told by auto zone and checkers that there wasnt a difference between the fluids for normal and the limited slip..i have the limited slip. I am concerned of damaging my differential somehow. Was told i would hear a noise or something..not sure on details..so if any of you can shed some light on that.

5. I thought i read somewhere all 2002 trans ams came with traction control..i dont have a switch where my 98 formula had it..just a storage tray..and when my wheels spin dont pop a light saying low traction..my t/a is a 2002 a4 loaded with everything else from leather to power everything and lumbar support..i know thats not related but youd figure a loaded car like that would have bloody traction control..

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give, - Drew

P.S - i dont even have an owners manual for this car lol so bear with me guys! I dont start college for mechanics till next year.
    Last edited by TransAmPhantom; 06-06-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmPhantom View Post
    Hey guys these are some random questions lol but i was wondering if i can get some answers..

1.Whats true bout A/C? How bad does it affect the ls1? And does it make a difference whether on high or low? Ive heard many mixed answers from people.. I have a black on black car, A/C is a must. Removing it only is plus for the weight reduction process.

2.I was considering buying the helms service manual..Anyone know a good digital manual i can buy? I have haynes but i want something detailed..and better pictures preferable..popout book would be perfect...=p Always a good idea to have, otherwise, LS1.com is more helpful.

3. There is a little knock on starts that i was told might be carbon buildup. The noise pretty much disappears when the car warms. No difference in power/mileage. Was told it was around a 90 dollar fix from my mechanic. He didnt do a full diagnostic of that yet tho. Was off top of head. Hes a smart dood but i figured id ask you guys. Many of us have a knock, to my knowledge it's simply as LS1 thing, nothing to be too concerned with. Mine has been doing it for years without fowling a plug or other woes.
    4. When i serviced the differential fluid awhile back..i was told by auto zone and checkers that there wasnt a difference between the fluids for normal and the limited slip..i have the limited slip. I am concerned of damaging my differential somehow. Was told i would hear a noise or something..not sure on details..so if any of you can shed some light on that. Some fluids come with the additive, so make sure you read carfeully.

5. I thought i read somewhere all 2002 trans ams came with traction control..i dont have a switch where my 98 formula had it..just a storage tray..and when my wheels spin dont pop a light saying low traction..my t/a is a 2002 a4 loaded with everything else from leather to power everything and lumbar support..i know thats not related but youd figure a loaded car like that would have bloody traction control.. Traction with stock tires? lol

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give, - Drew

P.S - i dont even have an owners manual for this car lol so bear with me guys! I dont start college for mechanics till next year. You can google a PDF file for this
    In bold.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Thanks man..for the A/C i didnt wanna remove it i was just curious for the mileage myths lol. Um..the tires arent stock they were new at the dealership i got em from.. tires are ecta ast kumho 245/50 r16 97hs lol...
    1992 Black/Gold Bandit Style Firebird (Retired)
    1998 Blue/Green Formy A4 (Gone)
    2002 Dark Blue Trans Am A4 (Daily Drive)

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Thanks man..for the A/C i didnt wanna remove it i was just curious for the mileage myths lol. Um..the tires arent stock they were new at the dealership i got em from.. tires are ecta ast kumho 245/50 r16 97hs lol...
    I can't speak for the A4, as my M6 gets 25+ on the highway with the A/C on or off. If it isn't on, it isn't affecting much, just alittle drag on the pulley. When it's running, the clutch on the A/C charging system activates and creates alittle more drag. IMO, b/c of where I live and when I drive it, the benefits of cooling off or for that matter the prevention of being cooked alive, outway the "drag" of the A/C.

If it's a DD, or even a weekend warrior, I would keep it.

If you plan on making it a drag car, ditch it.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Its gonna be 105 tomorrow with 40% humidity here.. dark blue with ebony..so i need it as well was just wanting to clear the air on it lol

NBM
    1998Z28

#3 sounds like piston slap which is normal for the LS1 motors.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

hm okay. Think some fuel system cleaner would help clean that combustion chamber if it IS that tho? Or do i have to just settle and give the money for the whole run the hose or whatever the duece he said.

2002 Camaro Z28

Having a quality decarboning process can be benificial on a higher mileage car but as for it acutally fixing something, I doubt you will notice a difference. Its mainly just a maintainence thing. My car also has a bad noise on start up that I would geuss is piston slap.

Do you mean running the A/C in the max position as opposed to the other positions? The only difference is that Max means recirculate. It just opens a flap in the car to recirculate the air instead of bringing in outside air.

As far as differential fluid, get some limited slip additive and put it in and you will be fine. These cars use a synthetic fluid as well.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

i knew that max thing..i meant the stress the ac puts on the car..like mileage and stuff i heard that it drains as much whether its in low or hi or max..opinion?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

i knew that max thing..i meant the stress the ac puts on the car..like mileage and stuff i heard that it drains as much whether its in low or hi or max..opinion?
    Honestly its not at all worth worrying about.

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Im not worried lol. Was just wanting to get the facts straight. Just curiousity lol.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It might take 3 to 5 horsepower to run the AC compressor. At highway speeds you car will get better gas mileage with the windows up and the AC on...then with the windows down (less aerodynamic)

Dark Blue
    2000 WS6 M6

Ive heard that before..something bout like under 40 is better windows down but over bbetter ac? or w/e

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Mythbusters ran a test like this I think.

Thread Information