Snake Eater

A few opinions/help please..

I'm bewildered about a situation, but I'm repairing a few parts on my car and needed a bit of advice. I brought my car up to one of the local shops and the guy there wants to charge me around 1000.00 to replace a factory lca, right rear axle, axle bearing, axle seal, synthetic lubricant, right rear caliper, and a right rear control arm + labor. Now this price sounds kind of high to me, does this sound right to any of you?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

These things are tough to answer....cuz there are so many variables that go into pricing...even the age of the car is considered ..(older bolts are harder to remove and many mechanics price extra time...yes really)...aftermarket components play a role etc. etc.
    If you have a "feeling" something isn't priced right...get a second or even third opinion...I know I know....time is money....you ain't got no time....but that second opinion may get the job done for considerably less money......
    Also I believe you should be aware of a "shop" fact....many times a shop that is just really busy prices work really high to discourage you...and if you accept the bid then they will work you in....get a 2nd opinion...then you have no doubts as to the legitimacy of the original bid.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well I paid $1500.00 all said an done for all seals, one used axle, and bearings to be put in my rear end. I think it was a little high, but my shop does quality work and stands behind it. My front seal started leaking about 5,000 miles and 6 months after they did it, gave them a call brought it in that day and got it back later. But as Sarge said, there are alot of factors and getting another quote can NEVER hurt. Also I got a used axle, my guy called me up once he had it apart and knew I needed one and gave me a choice new or used. ON that note, how do you know you need an axle? Only way I thought you could know that is to pull it and see how pitted up it was.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

What problem was the car having-why did you bring it in? And yeah-get a second opinion from another shop if you'd like.I don't get the LCA and the caliper-how do they know it needs an axle w/o tearing it apart? Is this an accident fix?That would explain a bent axle possibly-need more info.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 02-15-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    What problem was the car having-why did you bring it in? And yeah-get a second opinion from another shop if you'd like.I don't get the LCA and the caliper-how do they know it needs an axle w/o tearing it apart? Is this an accident fix?That would explain a bent axle possibly-need more info.
    Upper and Lower Control arm on one side? I'm guessing accident damage too. If thats the case, you may find that the mounting points where the control arms connect to the unibody are damaged too...

Is this accident damage, broke from dragstrip launch, ran over a Mustang that was slower than you thought?
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Thread Information