Fast Intake....what am I getting into?

Hello again everyone, I haven't been posting much lately...too busy shopping for head/cam parts ;-)
    Anyway, I've been hearing good things about FAST intakes, and I'm wondering what the story is. Didn't FAST make a 90mm intake/throttle body the last time I looked....now it seems as though there is a new model, the LSX 92mm. Is this now the new top intake for LS1 applications, or should I still be hunting around for one of those 90s I used to see everywhere?

More importantly, is the FAST Intake a direct bolt on, in the sence that everything gets removed from the factory LS6 intake and reconnected to the FAST in the same way or am I looking at more work. (I see where some people have been switching fuel rails, etc, and I haven't been able to determine if this is just another upgrade they are doing, or if it is a Must when switching over to the FAST intake)

Does anyone know a place that sells 92mm Throttle Bodies at a decent price?

Last question I swear: Even with a 92mm intake and TB, I've still got the smaller MAF and air box lid...should I just leave it at that, or upgrade to a 90mm maf?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

leave the maf alone...it is rarely a huge concern....the 90 is discontinued ..they were replaced by the fast 92mm. and now there is a new top of the line for serious builds..the lsxr 102mm set up for cathedral ports ..so look for the 92mm ...also get yourself into a nick Williams 92mm TB if you can.

red
    2000TA

they stopped making the 92mm also,you mite find one new if you call every body. you can use your stock fuel rails. when using a fast intake you can not use the stock ls1 coolant lines,you can use the ls6 coolant line kit. I got my 92mm TB from the WS6 store,most shops will be close in price. I have seen used fast intakes for sale,some people are stepping up to the 102mm.

Wouldn't the 102mm be a bit much for a head/cam 346? When people talk heads they are always mentioning that you don't want to go too big on the runners and slow the velocity down too much....wouldn't the same hold true for the intake manifold?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Wouldn't the 102mm be a bit much for a head/cam 346? When people talk heads they are always mentioning that you don't want to go too big on the runners and slow the velocity down too much....wouldn't the same hold true for the intake manifold?
    just because the intake mouth is 102mm doesnt mean the runners have been hogged out..........according to mamo and other tuners they really like the new runner design.

while i have no first hand knowledge of the 92 vs 102 runners ..i would assume that the 102 runners are not significantly larger over the 92s ..... so if you dont like the thought of having a 102mm mouth...put a 92 on it and it will be a supped up 92mm fast in essence

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS6

i would say the 102's would be a bit big for the stock cube motor. i just put a ported fast 92 on my setup (h/c) and i believe i lost a little low end with that setup, even though it pulls like a freight train from 3200-6800....

Thread Information