Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Fan-Belt Problem

There is a slight problem with my 99 Formula. It seems to be the fan belt, although i do not know for sure. All signs point to the fan belt though. When it rains the belt will squeak for hours until it is adaquately dries. I've tried lubricating the belt and that does nothing. It also makes a strange noise at idle when it is not wet. Almost as if it is loose. I'm sure this is a fairly common problem, and i am looking forward to see what you guys think.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Idler pulley

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

What the hell is the idler pulley. I mean, willit be easy to fix/inexpensive?

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

I am going to assume that it you have the Ls1 and on my camaro the only pulley that I can think of that isn't attached to an accessory is the tensioner pulley on the main belt but on the A/C Belt there is both an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley. They aren't hard to changer. You just have to remove the belt and loosen the bolt in the center of the pulley. The main belt tensioner should be the very top left pulley (looking at it from the front). It sticks up by itself. The two pulleys on the A/C side are at the bottom left (again from the front). Going right to left you have crank pulley, tensioner and pulley, Idler pulley, and A/C Compressor. The two pulleys you are after are smaller when compared to the other two. The easiest way to determine which one is causing the noise is remove the A/C belt and drive it. If it makes the noise then it is the main tensioner, if it stops then it is either one of the two A/C Pulleys. It could also be the main belt. My car makes an odd noise, not a squeak but like a grinding sound and I replaced the belt and it quit. The main belt. Hopefully this helps.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

step 1. run engine. step 2 spray belt with rust penetrant or silicon spray. if squeek stops jus replace belt. if squeek doesnt stop you have a bad pulley or belt tensioner.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

i have the same problem right now. seems like my main pulley is wobbly and i found my belt hanging half way off the pulleys the other day. i just put it back and lately it squeaks alot.im thinking its the tensioner cuz the belt almost came off.when i spray belt quiet spray its worse for a while.sucks cuz can my balancer be bad.bad balancer im sure would not be good for my main bearings.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

last time i saw a fan on a car get turned by the crank with a belt i think regan was president!

Thread Information