Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    98 Z28 M6

Exhaust fails NJ inspection for being "too loud"

Yep. That's right.

I bought my 98 Camaro "as is" from ebay motors. It came with a SpinTech muffler and I believe a FloMaster exhaust. I honestly never found out what brand on the exhaust.

Anyway, the car passed 2 years ago at the exact same facility (Randolph, NJ) with the exact same setup. This time, when the inspector rejected the exhaust, I mentioned it passed 2 years ago, and he said "Well, I wasn't here 2 years ago."

What pisses me off is that I don't think they actually use anything to measure the sound of the exhaust. It's just a matter of opinion. And if that's the case, what's stopping these guys from saying that anyone's exhaust is too loud. It's a shame that these idiots have so much authority.

So I guess my best option is to have the car inspected at a private facility?
    Last edited by JoeShmoe; 01-04-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

go burn his shop down

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Some shops are like that. I don't think NJ uses decibel meters but they B.S. their way out of a confrontation. Prob Prius owners who have nothing better to do than fail cars like ours. I have heard folks talk about when they get failed, they request the presence of a manager/higher up. Then the inspectors threaten with a call to the cops to weasel out of an explanation. I am glad my job has it's own inspection facility.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Here in California, they will meter the exhaust, needs to be below 80db.

SteveC

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

stuff some cotton up the pipes...maybe...

Gold Member - fadjur
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

dollar store solution

go to dollar store. buy some stainless steel scowering pads. stuff them up the tailpipe, 1 or 2 at a time. start it up, rev it and see if they stay. too much might overheat the car or block it too much...

you might wait until you are around the corner from the shop and do it...

worked for my harley. They will burn and blow out within 50 miles...

98 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    go burn his shop down
    LOL - Thanks, but this was a big public facility. In fact, that may have been part of the problem. When the inspector revved the engine, the sound echoed off the walls, making it sound louder than usual.

98 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Some shops are like that. I don't think NJ uses decibel meters but they B.S. their way out of a confrontation. Prob Prius owners who have nothing better to do than fail cars like ours. I have heard folks talk about when they get failed, they request the presence of a manager/higher up. Then the inspectors threaten with a call to the cops to weasel out of an explanation. I am glad my job has it's own inspection facility.
    I was definitely thinking of going back there and asking for a manager. I still have the paperwork from last time (2 years ago, the same facility) indicating that the car had passed. The way I see it, a second opinion can't hurt. Maybe the manager/supervisor would see it my way?
    Last edited by JoeShmoe; 01-05-2009 at 12:51 PM.

98 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Here in California, they will meter the exhaust, needs to be below 80db.

SteveC
    If this were the case, I could probably live with that, since it would be something factual that can't be disputed. But there was nothing on the print-out that said how many decibels. It just said "Loud exhaust system". I'm pretty sure he just played it by ear, which is BS if you ask me.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
    I was definitely thinking of going back there and asking for a manager. I still have the paperwork from last time (2 years ago, the same facility) indicating that the car had passed. The way I see it, a second opinion can't hurt. Maybe the manager/supervisor would see it my way?
    That's what you should of done. They can't fail your car by simply assuming it is too loud. Make them put a meter on it and verify that it is actually above the legal limit.

If it is infact above then something like this should fix the problem: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dynat...Q5fAccessories

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I wouldnt go back to that facility, try going to another place and getting it inspected. Here in Nc one shop failed me bc i had tail light covers on, down the road at another shop they passed me. If they didnt charge you i would go elsewhere, now if they charged you to fail ya then i would go back.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I completely feel your pain with this one. I lived in New Jersey for several years and even had the pleasure of sitting in line at the Randolph station for hours!

The test in NJ has a stated range, but it doesn't sound like he actually metered the car -- hence, it was "too loud" based solely on his judgment. In these cases, it's probably best to just go to a private facility and have them inspect it. Unfortunately, now that the car has failed once, the "loud exhaust" is likely noted in the database for that VIN (meaning that it might be a little tougher now to get an inspector to "look the other way").

98 Z28 M6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really?! I always go to the Randolph station. Despite their rude behavior, I thought the line usually moves pretty quick. Maybe I got lucky.

Anyway, I think most people would agree that the car isn't that loud. It has a nice sound to it, but nothing excessive.

The inspector said I could come back to the front of the line when I return, and I think this means outside of the building. I figured that, combined with a second opinion, and the paperwork from 2 years ago, I might have a shot at passing.

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Really?! I always go to the Randolph station. Despite their rude behavior, I thought the line usually moves pretty quick. Maybe I got lucky.

Anyway, I think most people would agree that the car isn't that loud. It has a nice sound to it, but nothing excessive.

The inspector said I could come back to the front of the line when I return, and I think this means outside of the building. I figured that, combined with a second opinion, and the paperwork from 2 years ago, I might have a shot at passing.
    I am not really sure where the Randolph NJ inspection station is probably up in North Jersey somewhere. If it isn't too long of a drive or hassle if they still are pricks and fail you you should give the Bridgeton, NJ Inspection Station a try. I took my 2000 Firehawk there without any problem and now I take my 1998 WS.6 there and they have never given me any problems. It is one of the Inspection stations that you should make an appopintment with, the waiting lines get long. Bridgeton should not give you any problems if Randolph fails you again.

Hope this helps & good luck
    Eddie

98 Z28 M6

Thanks, Eddie. Trying another station is a good idea. Only thing is, Bridgeton is over 125 miles away from me. I'm up in Morris County (Parsippany to be exact). But some of the guys at work were telling me stations like Newark, etc. were more lenient.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Thanks, Eddie. Trying another station is a good idea. Only thing is, Bridgeton is over 125 miles away from me. I'm up in Morris County (Parsippany to be exact). But some of the guys at work were telling me stations like Newark, etc. were more lenient.
    Try Newark. Can't hurt. If all else fails, get an OEM replacement muff and throw it on to pass, then put on the Spintech when you get back home.

black / black
    '91 Z28 / '10 SS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    ..., get an OEM replacement muff and throw it on to pass, then put on the Spintech when you get back home.
    Hey, over here we have to do this all the time. If the inspector sees some muffler that isnt stock you will fail...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Tell him that he is in the wrong profession

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Why not go to one of the performance shops and ask them which private facility they use. To me it's well worth the $50 to get it done.

98 Z28 M6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yeah, I think I might have to do that, or get the inserts like Cayenne97 suggested.

I went back to the same station in Randolph today. When I handed the guy my paperwork, he went and got the same inspector that failed me (his name was on the paper). Well, it failed again. And I asked how many decibels it had to be. The guy told me that they don't use a decibel meter, but it was "significantly louder than stock". He told me I could see the manager.

The manager was a nice guy, but he told me that it was up to the inspector's discretion. The manager listened to the exhaust and agreed that it was too loud. He suggested that I get some inserts to quiet things down so I wouldn't have to replace the exhaust.

Thread Information