Thread: Engine surge?

Navy Blue
    2000 Firebird

Engine surge?

Its been a long time since I've bee around here but stuck on a problem with rpms while decelerating. Car has plenty of power in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. As soon as I pop it in neutral while decelerating the engine revs. Betweeen 1500 and 500 rpms. Once the car comes to a complete stop it evens out and idles smoothly at 7 to 800 rpms. I've done some searching but failed horribly. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Pop in neutral while decelerating? Not really understanding. Any time you throw a car in neutral when coming off high rpm's it will jump up then come back down to normal due to less load. Also have you checked for vacuum leaks? More details would be great. Good luck

Navy Blue
    2000 Firebird

The tach bounces consistantly from 500 to 1500 in 1 second intervals until I come to a full stop. Shifting in to neutral as in coasting in any gear to a full stop then the engine ceases to basically rev itself and idles at a normal speed. It surges to the point accessories, heater, and and lights dim. The car is basically still stock, no aftermarket amps or odd lighting drawing any amp load. I have wondered on occasion if the car was going to just die on me comng to a stop. I checked the car originally for vacuum leaks and couldnt find anything. The car also isnt showing any codes. Just thought it was odd since acceleration isnt suffering and idle isnt suffering, just decelerating. I'm stumped at the moment.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check for a dirty throttle body, dirty or malfunctioning IAC, and for vacuum leaks in the PCV system that could be allowing excess air into the engine. Is your SES light on?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how long since you cleaned the MAF sensor? I would clean that and the throttle body like pajeff said. Sounds like an air metering issue to me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

In addition to what Jeff & Orion had stated I have one question: Is this for a T/A or Formula (V8) or a Firebird (V6)?

I ask because the idle is set differently between the 2 motors. (You indicated you have a Firebird in your info)

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

Mine did this kind of when my spark plugs were bad. But i also have a cam. Check those next if you cant find any vacuum leaks.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

agree with all posted. have you done any regular maintenance to the car? how many miles?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also if it's a 2000 and up 3800-II there is no IAC, TPS, (fly by wire TB) and the PCV is located inside the upper intake manifold..

Also there could be an issue starting in the tranny..

My 01 3800 a4 would serge forward slightly on cold start up even though it was in park.

Not an automatic expert but I felt there was an issue starting in the valve body or seals/solenoids.
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-15-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Also if it's a 2000 and up 3800-II there is no IAC, TPS, (fly by wire TB) and the PCV is located inside the upper intake manifold..

Also there could be an issue starting in the tranny..

My 01 3800 a4 would serge forward slightly on cold start up even though it was in park.

Not an automatic expert but I felt there was an issue starting in the valve body or seals/solenoids.
    there is our V6 expert

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Reason I mentioned the tranny is because rolling in neutral there could be a partial pressure bleed off happening causing it to "think" it's still slightly in gear.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Mine is doing the exact same thing... but I have a mutha thumper cam, a TPiS LS6 intake manifold with a 92mm throttle body, 41lb fuel injectors, 1.8 ratio rocker arms, full length Hooker Headers, and a Magnaflow exhaust... My SES light came on and it was throwing 02 sensor codes... so i replaced both and it went off and everything seem to be fine for a little while... then the surging started happening again... i've checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the maf sensor... replaced the iac valve and still does it... i dont know if it needs re-tuned or something? car has 34,xxx miles...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by DRVWS6 View Post
    Mine is doing the exact same thing... but I have a mutha thumper cam, a TPiS LS6 intake manifold with a 92mm throttle body, 41lb fuel injectors, 1.8 ratio rocker arms, full length Hooker Headers, and a Magnaflow exhaust... My SES light came on and it was throwing 02 sensor codes... so i replaced both and it went off and everything seem to be fine for a little while... then the surging started happening again... i've checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the maf sensor... replaced the iac valve and still does it... i dont know if it needs re-tuned or something? car has 34,xxx miles...
    with your mods that could be a tuning issue.....who tuned it?

Midnight Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'm not sure... I bought it back in October and the guy couldn't find the dyno sheet and I don't remember who he said tuned it.

Thread Information