Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

Question engine pulling question. NEED HELP

alright here it is. I have a 2001 ws-6, and want to put in a head and cam. books, mags and people i talk to say its worth my time to have the motor out to do this. they also say to drop it from underneith. the only problem is that i don't have a lift. i do have an engine hoist, is it possible to unbolt the sub frame and use the hoist to pick up the front end of the car and slide the motor out? or can the motor come out the top?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SPARKYS T/A View Post
    alright here it is. I have a 2001 ws-6, and want to put in a head and cam. books, mags and people i talk to say its worth my time to have the motor out to do this. they also say to drop it from underneith. the only problem is that i don't have a lift. i do have an engine hoist, is it possible to unbolt the sub frame and use the hoist to pick up the front end of the car and slide the motor out? or can the motor come out the top?
    Yeah, you can use a hoist to lift up the front of the car in order to drop the K-member, but be very careful,

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

yeah thats whats i figured. kind of hesitent to to tackle this one. pulled motrs before but only in older cars that i could just yank them for the top. wonder if i should just pay someone to do it but thats less money i could put into parts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

ask Mr. Luos, he did it to his in his 1 car garage

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I did heads/cam with the engine still in the car...... no big deal really. I'm sure it would go easier outside the car but frankly I really don't see the need for it.

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

i thought of that but the side where the ac lines come in seems pretty tight. had a hell of a time just changing spark plugs. gotta due something got beat by a 01 cobra eith 75 shot of nos

98 Formula
    06 duramax

read this. Pretty helpful and it's not as bad as you think room wise.

ls1howto.com's head swap write up

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

hey thanks man. i put that one in my favorites,and its seems like a lot more room with the coil packs,valve covers,etc. i'll still have to pull the motor some day when the bottom end need beefed up but the head and cam should keep me content for a little while....haha like that will ever happen.
    by the way, have any suggestion on what heads to use? saw a package deal on summit racing from trick flow. comes with assembled heads,cam gaskets bolts,push rods,harland sharprocker arms. the cost is 3100$ the only other things i would get is lifters and timing chain while its all ripped apart

98 Formula
    06 duramax

depends really on what kinda budget you have. Trick flow makes a good head along with AFR but you pay for them. I put PRC 5.3L heads on mine just do to costs and they make decent power. While it's apart I would also toss in a ported ls6 oil pump and put an underdrive pulley on. Also, save some bucks and use LS7 lifters. Good lifter at a good price.

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

the trick flow package claims 485,500,and 515 hp depending on what cam .even if thats at the flywheel i find that hard to believe.yeah 3100$ puts a hurtin on the wallet but that seems like good hp per dollar if the #s are acurate

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what mods do you currently have?

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

not a whole lot just slp cat back exhaust, ypipe, air lid,crane power tuner,ported thottle body,

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would definitely budget for headers then. M6 or A4 car?

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

m6 will i have any problems with emmisions? right now my sticker says exempt because i put less than 5000 mi a year. and now were starting to talk about $ maybe i should get some cheaper heads

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it'll be tough getting through emmission testing with any sizeable cam. I don't have it here so I have no experience with cams that'll pass. I know some guys have passed cali's running 224's but I'm not sure on the particulars.
    I would say figure up the entire budget you would need and save as much of that budget for heads as you can. Like I say, I went with a budget style head but realistically you get what you pay for. I make budget HP but it's enough for me. There are just certain supporting mods you're gonna want/need for your heads/cam and headers is one of those. I put a 12 bolt in my car prior to my heads/cam just because I knew I would need it. Sucks having a really fast car......on jackstands.

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

the 485 hp trick flow cam is 220/224@.050. but i dondt think my mechanic runs the emmision test because of the milage exemption. not sure but i should really find out. pa just started this emmissions bull a couple years ago.
    worry about the rear when she breaks, nice winter project getting to nice out to have it on jack stands

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no kidding Mines been like this for a few weeks. I got the exhaust back under it and the wrenches picked up off the ground and that's about it.

ORANGE
    2001 TRANS-AM

whats the hold up?
    not to be nosey but what ru working on

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SPARKYS T/A View Post
    whats the hold up?
    not to be nosey but what ru working on
    the weather has been bad so I haven't been in a hurry to get it finished. I'll have it on the ground and running tomorrow. Finished everything up and did the yearly oil change today. Just have to take it off the stands and it's done.

I painted the exhaust. I had a bung welded in for my wideband and while it was in the air I took the rest of the exhaust off and painted it.

Artic White
    99 SS

hey sparky, you new to the area? never saw you around and im certain id remember an orange WS6... by the way, ive done multiple cam swaps, heads and cam swap, and even had the LS1 out of two cars....three times, not as bad as you think, oh and no lift! both the cam swap and the heads and cam swap were done with the motor in the car.....emmisions exempt too!
    Last edited by ssdreamz; 05-01-2008 at 03:22 AM.

Thread Information