Thread: engine problems

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

engine problems

All of a sudden my engine has no power. Seems like a fuel problem of some sort. When driving sometimes fuel will cut off and on. Also, it has very little power. Had to floor it in second to stay at 45 mph. Took her home and reved it a couple times and the oil gauge flew to the right as fast as the rpm. Engine temperature remained below normal though ( i hadn't been running it much).

Also, it seems to idle fine. Sounds smooth. And i had throttle body cleaned a month ago so it shouldn't be that. Any thoughts? I'm visiting my girlfriend tomorrow which is over an hour drive and i don't want to take another car if possible.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Plugged up Cats will do that. No SES light?

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ yes its on. forgot to mention that. plugged up cats... sounds like a good way to convince my parents to getting an exhaust. that would be a good turnaround to this. but it seems kind of sudden. is that normal with plugged cats?

black
    2008 Audi TT

same problem

Had the similar problem a couple of weeks ago... It turned out that I had to replace the battery with a new one... Have you checked on your batteries? It might be the problem too...

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ the battery gauge is normal. and i thought the battery was only used for starting, which is done fine and quickly (previous owner put in red optima).

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    ^ yes its on. forgot to mention that. plugged up cats... sounds like a good way to convince my parents to getting an exhaust. that would be a good turnaround to this. but it seems kind of sudden. is that normal with plugged cats?
    My buddies truck did that. Drove fine for a few weeks then he was having to floor it to maintain his speed. I told him it might be the cats so he took a hammer to it at work and it ran great. Don't get all crazy a smash them, it's just something to consider. Take it to Autozone and have them check the check engine light, they should do it for free.

It may just be in limp/safe mode due to something not working correctly.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ hmm i didnt realize autozone did that. but with the oil pressure gauge going up when i press on gas, is it safe to drive?

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

bump. i might take it to autozone in an hour or so if its safe. anyone think it is even with the high oil pressure?

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

bump. i might take it to autozone in an hour or so if its safe. anyone think it is even with the high oil pressure?
    how high is the oil pressure

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

so let me get this strait you need to ask for permission to fix or money to fix it?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

How high is the oil pressure getting? Cleaned the MAF lately? They can cause the same problems as clogged cats.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah I'm sure your oil is fine. The pressure is supposed to increase with rpm. The trouble code will give us a better idea of whats going on, instead of guessing.

green
    98 formula

if the guage is out of wack maybe its a bad ground, check the cables

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I know this is the lamest check, but whens last time you replaced fuel filter. might be about due. Cost you 10 bucks and 15 minutes to replace.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

barely tap the gas out of gear and the oil goes up fast to like 50, 55 even for the split second you press on the gas. and if you floor it it shoots up near 80. thats in about 1 second i didnt dare hole the gas longer. doesnt seem normal to me, but then again i have never noticed it go up at all before.

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    so let me get this strait you need to ask for permission to fix or money to fix it?
    i'm still in debt toward my parents for the clutch replacement and ac condenser replacement so they aren't going to let me get an exhaust until that is paid.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

ok went to autozone today. if you put a $150 deposit down, you can take out a scanner. return in 90 days and you get all of it back. so here's what i got.

i got 6 codes.

P0131 - o2 sensor circuit low volts (bank 1, sensor 1)

P0151 - same thing but bank 2, sensor 1

P0131 - same again

P0137 - bank 1, sensor 2

P0151 again

P0157 - bank 2, sensor 2

do you guys think its clogged cats? if so definite or just a maybe?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Plugged cats, probablly not. Here are some possiblities:

The PCM sets this DTC when the vehicle runs out of fuel.

• Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) wire: Sensor pigtail may be in contact with the exhaust manifold or exhaust system.

• An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. This supply of oxygen is provided through the HO2S wires. All HO2S wires and connections should be inspected for breaks or contamination. Refer to Heated Oxygen Sensor Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

• Inspect for an intermittent ground in the signal wire between the connector and the sensor.

• Lean injector(s): Perform the Injector Balance Test. Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test with Tech 2 or Fuel Injector Balance Test with Special Tool .

• Fuel contamination: Water near the in-tank fuel pump inlet can be delivered to the injectors. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis . The water causes a lean exhaust and can set a DTC.

• Fuel pressure: System will be lean if fuel pressure is low. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .

• Exhaust leaks: An exhaust leak near the HO2S can cause a lean condition. Refer to Exhaust Leakage in Engine Exhaust.

• Vacuum or crankcase leaks can cause a lean condition.

Thread Information