Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Engine noise...new engine maybe??

Ok so here it is, my car had been parked for 4 days with no use the morning I decided to take it for a spin as soon as my engine turned on a clanking like noise came from the engine area. Popped the hood to check things out took oil dipstick out, when I tried to insert dipstick back in it got stuck. Dipstick goes about 3/4 in then stops against something. Tried to turn engine on again to see what was going on but nothing no cranking nothing at all best way I can describe it the engine feels like if its stuck then 3 chimes and gauges go up and down several times. Friend thought it was maybe the starter but then whats wrong with the dipstick? Another friend said similar thing happened and was the connecting rod. Help with some ideas what it can be and what am I looking at. New engine? Repairable and how much?

Thx in advance for any info.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I doubt your dipstick has something to do with your issue. My dipstick gets stuck abit and sometimes i have to force it in. There could be something else going on. Is the SES light on? Any codes? Is the security light on all the time? How many miles? Any mods? Any recent work? As far as it not cranking it could be related to the starter, relay, ignition switch or VATS. If the engine is locked up it will present the same issue. Do you hear any clunking noise by the starter when you turn the key to start(you need someone to turn the key for you and you get underneath the starter area)? like it is stuck?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Take the starter out and put the car in neutral and put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and try to turn the engine. If you can then look at the starter, if you can't turn the engine then you have an internal issue.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I doubt your dipstick has something to do with your issue. My dipstick gets stuck abit and sometimes i have to force it in. There could be something else going on. Is the SES light on? Any codes? Is the security light on all the time? How many miles? Any mods? Any recent work? As far as it not cranking it could be related to the starter, relay, ignition switch or VATS. If the engine is locked up it will present the same issue. Do you hear any clunking noise by the starter when you turn the key to start(you need someone to turn the key for you and you get underneath the starter area)? like it is stuck?
    I just thought maybe cuz it never had gotten stuck. No SES light on, havent gotten any codes, security light has been on for 2 years VATS got wet and security light stayed on. 92,000 miles, no recent mods and only have a HP program. I guess ill look into starter, relay, ignition switch. Ill get to the starter and check it out as soon as I can. Im just worried because of the clunking,knocking sound I heard.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Take the starter out and put the car in neutral and put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and try to turn the engine. If you can then look at the starter, if you can't turn the engine then you have an internal issue.
    Ill try turning the engine also to see if its something internal. Thx

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What car and what year is your friend's? There has been discussion with F bodies blowing con rods through the side of the motor from rain water leaking down the windshield cowl and getting into the engine bay, pooling up on the intake manifold and leaking past the injectors down into the cylinder and hydrolocking the engine.

it didn't happen to your car.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    What car and what year is your friend's? There has been discussion with F bodies blowing con rods through the side of the motor from rain water leaking down the windshield cowl and getting into the engine bay, pooling up on the intake manifold and leaking past the injectors down into the cylinder and hydrolocking the engine.

His car is a 2000 TA...No dont say that lol not too long ago I washed my engine bay with some procedures here on LS1 lol I dried up as much as I could but this happened weeks later tho, could it be that tho?? Havent had time to work on my car.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

There are some members here that it has happened to. Tried to crank their car over and once it fired, "CLANG!!" followed by a loud knocking noise with oil pooling up under the car. If you don't have any puddles of oil under your car, look at your engine REAL good and look for any cracks or anything protruding out of the side of the engine block.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

There are some members here that it has happened to. Tried to crank their car over and once it fired, "CLANG!!" followed by a loud knocking noise with oil pooling up under the car. If you don't have any puddles of oil under your car, look at your engine REAL good and look for any cracks or anything protruding out of the side of the engine block.
    What yu described is exactly how it happened but no oil spill no where. Im gonna have to check it throughly then see if theres any cracks or anything like that hopefully not tho.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Will do

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Holy design flaw batman! I've never heard of this till now...any way to prevent the water from pooling up?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I believe the engines were redesigned. Not too sure. I THINK folks have designed ways to divert the rainwater away from the engine. I can't remember at the moment.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Found an old thread. Posting for reference:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/need-he...h-idle-146151/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Any updates?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

I work a tough schedule then this past weekend was fathers day weekend but tru out the week if I have a chance ill update you all

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Any luck with the problem yet ?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

I looked over the engine block throughly and I didnt see no cracks no oil spills anything I could spot unusual. Contacted a friend thats more fluent with internals and all that so just gonna wait when he has time so we can open it up too see what our problem is. Hopefully nothing real severe, ill keep u all posted

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

After months we finally got back into it sorry guys for keeping you all waiting. I found a crack where the starter is mounted Sucks now I need a new block for sure will anything on the motor work tho?

Thread Information