Black
    2000 Z28

Question Engine noise help

Hello all,

My Z makes a clicking noise at wot, for example, if I'm on the freeway and shift down to pass someone, I can hear a clicking noise which I can't replicate if parked and open it up; it only happens under actual load. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Where is it originating from front rear? Will it do it going from park to drive reverse etc.?

Black
    2000 Z28

Thanks for your reply!

Well, it sounds like it is coming from the front but my exhaust is so loud that it may be disguising the real origin...but I'm quite sure its from the front.
    And no, it doesn't do it in reverse...I guess it would help to mention that I have a M6 and not an A4.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What mods do you have? Could the clicking be more like a pinging sound?

Black
    2000 Z28

My mods are as follow:

Diablo sport tune, all the free mods, K&N air filter, SLP air lid, JBA hedders, SLP loudmouth exhaust, SLP short shifter, SLP close ratio shifter kit, Eibach pro springs, Bilstein shocks and struts, BMR extreme shock tower brace, lower control arms and panhard relocation bar.

Today I modified my diablo tune so I increased my fuel by 2% and spark by 1.5% so tomorrow morning I'll run it wot and see how it sounds. But if you know of another possible reason for the noise, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Red
    2000 Z28

Sounds like a detonation problem. Is your check engine light on? If so, what codes are present?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by seasponge View Post
    My mods are as follow:

Diablo sport tune, all the free mods, K&N air filter, SLP air lid, JBA hedders, SLP loudmouth exhaust, SLP short shifter, SLP close ratio shifter kit, Eibach pro springs, Bilstein shocks and struts, BMR extreme shock tower brace, lower control arms and panhard relocation bar.

Today I modified my diablo tune so I increased my fuel by 2% and spark by 1.5% so tomorrow morning I'll run it wot and see how it sounds. But if you know of another possible reason for the noise, I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    You might wanna contact johan or mikel at diablosport and get a custom tune for your mods (mainly the headers). Johan can also give you a lower octane tune if you don't have 93 in your area....like me I have a 91 oct custom tune in my truck because CA blows...and my preator is kinda old so it didn't come with the 91 tune.

Also try adjusting the PE on your predator so that all your fuel trims read 0% at wot and your o2's read around 920mv...then adjust your spark until you get some KR and then pull some until there's no KR. PE only effects fuel for WOT...injector slope on your predator changes the fuel through-out the rpms. If you tune for part throttle you'll want to adjust the slope to get your LTFT's within +2% to -2%.

Black
    2000 Z28

No check engine light...
    Camaro Z28/SS...40+ years of mustang humiliation.
    View my garage: http://www.fquick.com/Y2KBlackZ28

Black
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    You might wanna contact johan or mikel at diablosport and get a custom tune for your mods (mainly the headers). Johan can also give you a lower octane tune if you don't have 93 in your area....like me I have a 91 oct custom tune in my truck because CA blows...and my preator is kinda old so it didn't come with the 91 tune.

Also try adjusting the PE on your predator so that all your fuel trims read 0% at wot and your o2's read around 920mv...then adjust your spark until you get some KR and then pull some until there's no KR. PE only effects fuel for WOT...injector slope on your predator changes the fuel through-out the rpms. If you tune for part throttle you'll want to adjust the slope to get your LTFT's within +2% to -2%.
    Its good to know people! I will contact them tomorrow and maybe they can hook me up.
    I played with the tune last week and gave it +2% for fuel and +1.5% for spark but I still got the noise. I'm starting to wonder if the noise is something else...mechanical, etc. Car runs great and doesn't lose power at all so the search continues. But I will definetly call DS and try to get the tune. Thanks again!

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, the folks at Diablo Sport couldn't be more willing to help. I contacted them just now and they asked me to run a diagnostic then to send my factory tune to them so they can send me back a custom tune. All I have to say is BAD A**!!!

Black
    2000 Z28

Thanks to all who replied; the problem was detonation and is now fixed thanks to Diablo Sport and SeVeReDiStOrTiOn for giving me some good gauge!

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

I had this issue and it was the header/erg pipe gasket.

Thread Information