Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine blown?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

engine blown?

ok....i was driving on the highway and suddenly my oil pressure dropped and would not move up or down when i applied gas.
    it dropped from 50 to 20 while going 75mph!
    i stopped the car as soon as i saw the pressure drop...then it started knocking!!
    so i get it towed to a shop and they say it is the #2 rod bearing??
    the engine has 120,000 miles on it and they sais its not worth fixing
    then they find me a used 2000 LS1 with 45,000 miles for 2400 shipped
    now today they call and say that the knock is not that bad and they might be able to fix it with a new oil pump because the car idled at 20 anyways before it gave out...
    they say that the worst scenario is the replacing the crank??
    what do u guys think?
    thanks and sorry for the long post
    any help is appreciated!

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

honestly I think you would be ok with just replacing the oil pump and see from there. How bad was the knocking? Did they start it up at the shop and have it continue to knock? If it ends up being a rod bearing or crank it would be cheaper to fix your car but it would probrably benefit you more in the long run to just get the used LS1 or even a new shortblock

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    honestly I think you would be ok with just replacing the oil pump and see from there. How bad was the knocking? Did they start it up at the shop and have it continue to knock? If it ends up being a rod bearing or crank it would be cheaper to fix your car but it would probrably benefit you more in the long run to just get the used LS1 or even a new shortblock

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    cool...thats exactly what i was thinking
    they will have the new oil pump in there by tomorrow
    also i forgot to mention that it doesnt start ticking untill it warms up and whenever it warms up the oil pressure drops to 20
    so that might be a sign of something???

White
    98 Trans Am

Is that $2400 just for the motor? If so, then how much for the install? If just for the motor, I'd rebuild. You can get 383 stroker short-blocks for for around $3K and just utilize your original top end...0 Miles! Plus, you don't know if the 45K is hard miles or easy ones. I guess it depends on your budget, goals, and overall desires. Even if it's just your oil pump, how much longer till something else catastrophic happens? If you have the time, patience, and basic part-changing capabilities, I'd just do it myself and save some money or put the 'shop' money towards a nice mod.
    Plus, I see you're in NN...I went to AIT at FT. Eustis Aviation Logistics School and I know surrounding businesses are geared towards putting it to you since it's kind of a military town. No offense...
    4" Stroker Crank/4340 H Beam Rods/Forged Pistons/File to fit Plasma Moly Rings/Patriot S2 LS6 heads/Harland Sharp rockers/SLP Lid/Smooth Bellowes/Comp 232/234 595/598 112 lsa/chrome-moly push rods/LS1 Edit/LS6 intake/Spec3 clutch/Fidenza aluminum flywheel/4.10s/MAC mid-lengths/MAC ORY/SLP catback

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by greenvilleTA View Post
    Is that $2400 just for the motor? If so, then how much for the install? If just for the motor, I'd rebuild. You can get 383 stroker short-blocks for for around $3K and just utilize your original top end...0 Miles! Plus, you don't know if the 45K is hard miles or easy ones. I guess it depends on your budget, goals, and overall desires. Even if it's just your oil pump, how much longer till something else catastrophic happens? If you have the time, patience, and basic part-changing capabilities, I'd just do it myself and save some money or put the 'shop' money towards a nice mod.
    Plus, I see you're in NN...I went to AIT at FT. Eustis Aviation Logistics School and I know surrounding businesses are geared towards putting it to you since it's kind of a military town. No offense...
    2400 shipped and installed

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by adham View Post
    2400 shipped and installed
    VERY GOOD PRICE! however my advice would still be to check it out after the new oil pump gets installed. Also try a good engine flush and filter replacement....

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes that is a good price!! Are they going to stand behind the motor for any time period? That would be one of my biggest decision makers on that. If so I'de probably go that route. Then you can take your time and build your original motor the way you really want it and be able to drive the TA while doing the build.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Pewter
    02 Z28

[QUOTE=greenvilleTA;632408]Is that $2400 just for the motor? If so, then how much for the install? If just for the motor, I'd rebuild. You can get 383 stroker short-blocks for for around $3K and just utilize your original top end...0 Miles! QUOTE]

+1 on the 383
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Shipped and installed is a good price. I would look real hard at that option. How much are they charging you to do the work they're doing now? I would look at it this way. Say they fix it now and a month from now it doesn't hold up. That would mean this money is basically wasted. I realize budgets are a huge contributing factor and if you don't have the $2400 then do whatever you can do but if at all possible I would do the '00 motor. JMO.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Shipped and installed is a good price. I would look real hard at that option. How much are they charging you to do the work they're doing now? I would look at it this way. Say they fix it now and a month from now it doesn't hold up. That would mean this money is basically wasted. I realize budgets are a huge contributing factor and if you don't have the $2400 then do whatever you can do but if at all possible I would do the '00 motor. JMO.
    the car is at a dealership now
    the guy in charged of the dealership is one of our good friends so he is NOT charging me for anything...even the engine drop will be FREE!
    so i am paying 2400 for the engine and shipping only not the install...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

That's VERY COOL OF HIM!!!

I'd try to get your old motor for a real build down the road. If not you can still sell it to recoop some funds.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

ok....heres the update!
    after removing the oil pan and taking a look at the engine from underneath, he says that all the bearings are fine and so is the crank....
    the pump will be installed on monday and he feels that it is gonna solve the problem
    he says if anything would have gotten messed up, it would have been the bearings first.....but they are fine
    I'll keep u guys updated
    Last edited by adham; 03-03-2007 at 01:20 PM.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

sounds good, hope everything works out

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Let me know how it works out. I'm familiar with most of the performance shops around here if you need anything. Ben

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Let me know how it works out. I'm familiar with most of the performance shops around here if you need anything. Ben
    oh thats good to hear...I dont know of any in the area
    we'll see how it goes on monday and we'll go from there

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

If you get a new motor go bigger ;-)

red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

so how did the new oil pump work out?

NBM
    1998Z28

I find it hard to believe that a motor that starts knocking and looses oil pressure can be fixed by a new oil pump. I still think you spun a rod bearing. I would go with the $2400 used motor.

It can happen w low pressure.

Thread Information