Black

Red face Emissions equipment removal.

Hello all. This is my first time posting on here. I'm rebuilding the top end of my LT1 (blown head gasket), and had a question for you all. My buddy is a mechanic and he said that you can remove a good portion of the air recirculation/emissions piping/tubing on these engines. I'm not exactly sure what you want to call all of this stuff. What i'm referring to is the tubing that bolts into the back of each head, and two tubes (one on each side) that run over the valve covers (one end connects into the manifolds). Also there is an air pump of sorts towards the drivers side front of engine. Sorry about my ignorance here, and lack of proper terminology......i'm used to working on old muscle cars. Do you guys know what i'm talking about here? I could attach pictures if it would help. I just don't know what I can remove and block off with bolts without possibably having the computer/emissions sensors freaking out. It would also be nice to be able to have a little more room under the hood. Any advice would be appreciated, i'd be happy to attach pictures if needed.

Thanks.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

That is part of the A.I.R system and EGR systems you are referring to probably. You can remove it all to save weight and space. Won't net you any hp gains but will look alot cleaner and won't net any losses besides not so clean emissions. However it will throw some codes and set your ses off which you will have to get tuned out.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

AIR pumps started being used back in the 60's- same idea maybe a little more computer controlled. As stated it will throw codes but can be tuned out. It will shorten the life of your cat convertor if you are running them still. Of course it will increase the emissions coming from your engine if you care.

Black
    Thanks guys. I talked to a customer at my work who is a mechanic, and apparently it is all part of the EGR equipment. I'll have to see about taking it off. Where would I have to take the car to get "the bugs worked out" of it after pulling all that off if I do? I mean would a normal shop be able to do that, or is that something dealer specific? Also if I decide to pull all of it off, can i just block it all off with bolts or the appropriate fastener for the application? No problems there? Last question.... I was wondering if there were supposed to be gaskets on the part of the AIR system that bolts into the back of the heads? I'm referring to that 1/4" or so cross over piping with the funny bolts that bolt into the back of each head? I think there were gaskets when I took it off, but I honestly can't remember for sure.

Thanks guys!!

It's nearing completion.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

A dealership or repair shop would probably not be equipped for or interested in dealing this type of modification. A speed shop on the other hand might be. It would require a shop capable of running the engine on a dyno and retuning the computer for the air fuel ratio you will be screwing up. This has all been done countless times, you just need to find someone who knows what they are doing in this area. Hope you don't live in an area that requires emissions testing.

Black
    Thanks for the replies. I think I might just leave it on for now, but I was toying with the idea. I'll have to think it over.

Thank you.

Thread Information