Black
    99 Camaro SS

Electrical problems with my 99 SS.. Don't know where to start..

This is getting frustrating

A while back my gauge lights just stopped working for no apparent reason. I checked the fuse, and it was blown. Got a new fuse, and put it in. *POP*. That blows immediately.

Ok, so I replace the dimmer switch thinking that might be it. No dice - still kills fuses. I kinda just forgot about it and put it off.

Well, yesterday was a nice day out, so I took it out of the garage, washed/detailed it, and went for a drive.

Everything was fine, till later on in the night. I came out to the car and turned it on, and now the radio does not work, and all the gauges are zero'd out... Jesus.

The only gauges that work are the oil pressure, volts, and I think the fuel.

To top it off - the trunk release mech. is not getting power either. AHHH!

This sucks. I hate electrical probs. All fuses are good - even replaced the radio and gauges with new ones and still no worky.

Almost makes me want to throw the car in the gutter.

I checked the battery with the car off and it was at 12.2v. While running it's 13.96v. That seems normal enough. Any ideas on where I should start with this? Keep in mind I have very very very little electrical knowledge.. I can kinda sorta figure out how to use a multimeter - but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

sounds like you have a short grounding out somewhere. If I were you, I would try and find someone with/or look up the schematics of the wiring digram of the cars electronics. I can try and help you out if I can get a diagram. But it sounds like one short is creating another short, creating another short. Voltage Drop, Current Flow Increases.

Finding these things are very difficult without the right tools. A short finder would help you locate a short. (if that is in fact the problem)
    Getting your hands on a diagram for the circuits in question would be key also. The hatch could be something totally different that will throw you into left field, on the otherhand it could also be related. There is a ground located in the rear of the car behind tail lights (inside cab) that can come loose due to hatch opening and closing.

In your case it might be beneficial to take the car to a good repair shop to trouble shoot the problem.

black
    2002 WS6

for a new fuse to blow as soon as you put a new one in tells me you have a dead short some where, as crazy as it sounds take out your cig lighter and make sure it is clean. It was shorting out on my moms old 86 GP and when the fuse blew the interior lights would come on for some reason and the radio display would die.

Thread Information