Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

electrical problems?

I've heard this is common in gm cars, but nearly everytime i start my car, the trip resets and the speedo & tac needles shoot almost all the way up. Now i noticed that my front and rear blinker (on either side) as well as the little blinker that i see next to the speedo, is flashing weird. my friend first noticed it when he was driving behind me. It will flash like normal the first time but then "double flash" the second time. I'm not sure what going on and i know the batteries fully charged. any ideas?

Don't know what's going on with the blinkers - but the trip reset/gauge sweep on start up happens on the '99 cars when battery voltage is low or the connections are loose. I'd have it load tested.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Don't know what's going on with the blinkers - but the trip reset/gauge sweep on start up happens on the '99 cars when battery voltage is low or the connections are loose. I'd have it load tested.
    what does load tested mean?

I've also heard that problems like these could be a sign that the alternator is going. that doesn't sound good....
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Bring the battery to some place like auto zone - they'll put it on a tester for free, only takes a couple minutes. If that's not it at least you eliminated the battery as being the problem. Here's the TSB on the trip reset, doesn't mention the gauge sweep but usually happens at the same time: http://home.earthlink.net/~cetera/pics/aug99tsb.jpg

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I agree, the battery is going south.

SteveC

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

It can be either but if the car is cranking fine chances are the alternator is going out.

What happens here folks is the alternator will put out plenty to charge the battery but it's a noisy DC signal - battery doesn't care but the car's electonics are affected. This is caused by the internal regulator starting to fail.

They can test for this at most parts stores.

Ensure you've got the battery and connections eliminated first as they're the easiest to eliminate.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    It can be either but if the car is cranking fine chances are the alternator is going out.

What happens here folks is the alternator will put out plenty to charge the battery but it's a noisy DC signal - battery doesn't care but the car's electonics are affected. This is caused by the internal regulator starting to fail.

They can test for this at most parts stores.

Ensure you've got the battery and connections eliminated first as they're the easiest to eliminate.
    solid advice right there. I know steve doesn't agree with the method but if I suspect an alternator the first thing I do is put a voltmeter across the battery terminals while the car is running. steady 14.4 volts= good less voltage or fluctuation voltage = bad.

White
    1998 TA Convertible

Cool

Seen this before and it was corroded terminals once and loose terminals another time.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    solid advice right there. I know steve doesn't agree with the method but if I suspect an alternator the first thing I do is put a voltmeter across the battery terminals while the car is running. steady 14.4 volts= good less voltage or fluctuation voltage = bad.
    14.4 is not the definitve test, even a failing alternator can put that out into a good battery as a good battery will limit at or near that voltage.

Rotten day folks, crack in one of my Enkei wheels. $200 if they fix, $100 if they farm it out. Having no MIG/TIG here I'll take it to a friend who will flux the crack and, if possible, weld it for $50

Thread Information