blue
    99z28 a4

Angry electrical issue i think

its a 98z28 a4 107k i just picked it up thought it was a sweet deal paid 1700 needs minor things but i ran into something major

the blinkers didnt work when i first bought it i knew it was the bulbs replaced them and they worked fine. took out his poorly installed nos kit and other micellanous electrical wiring now my wipers work on occasion and never when i need them and the right blinker wont work if the lights are on but if there are off it will work sometimes the left side works fine regardless i replaced the battery because it was dead and the gauge sits right below 13 could it be an alernator problem?
    any and all help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance sorry for the grammar

BLACK
    00 TRANS AM M6

you can test the alternater by disconnecting the positive battery terminal (when the car is running),if it dies when you disconnect it then your alternater is bad!

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

^^^ that's good info never knew that!!!!! -Thanks
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sounds like the indash harness has been hacked up from a botched system install..

BCM is supposed to control the wipers pulse board amoung other things...

If the BCM harness has been cut into or used as a power supply there's likely untold damage to the BCM as well..

The bright side would be a wiring issue in the column..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-21-2011 at 04:50 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

blue
    99z28 a4

thanks ill look into both of those thanks

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Check all the bulbs. Possibly the wrong one was put in by previous owner. Also make sure that the sockets are in good condition. Don't check the alternator by removing pos terminal. That is an old way of doing it. Not the safest thing for your modern electronics. If unsure take it to an auto store and have it tested. If you have a voltmeter you can test it yourself.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check the socket on that blinker ( not a bad idea to check them all) for corrosion....very common for moisture to get to the sockets. Were the wipers working fine before you removed the n2o kit? If so I'd go back over all the wires you handled or were near and make sure you didn't leave a bare one showing or something.

The alt. gauge is not accurate enough IMO to trouble shoot with. Do you have a voltmeter? Start the car and put it across the terminals.....should read 14.4v at idle. I never recommend pulling a battery cable on new cars ( that's an old school trick) because the newer cars have so much electronics on them you don't want to fry anything.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Check all the bulbs. Possibly the wrong one was put in by previous owner. Also make sure that the sockets are in good condition. Don't check the alternator by removing pos terminal. That is an old way of doing it. Not the safest thing for your modern electronics. If unsure take it to an auto store and have it tested. If you have a voltmeter you can test it yourself.

Voltage spikes are NEVER good.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    check the socket on that blinker ( not a bad idea to check them all) for corrosion....very common for moisture to get to the sockets. Were the wipers working fine before you removed the n2o kit? If so I'd go back over all the wires you handled or were near and make sure you didn't leave a bare one showing or something.

The alt. gauge is not accurate enough IMO to trouble shoot with. Do you have a voltmeter? Start the car and put it across the terminals.....should read 14.4v at idle. I never recommend pulling a battery cable on new cars ( that's an old school trick) because the newer cars have so much electronics on them you don't want to fry anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post

Voltage spikes are NEVER good.
    I've had to run on battery juice before when one of my alts died..

But I've never tried it the other way around..

Too much riding on the electrical system to experiment.. imho I agree +4...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'd get the alt fixed first, if that's the low voltage issue. Then like Orion said, check the sockets of the bulbs as they are a common issue. From they're I'd look into the bcm and fixing it, if that still doesn't get the issue resolved, I'd look at the wiper switch itself.

I hate it when people hack into the electrical system, makes these problems very difficult to diagnose.

9.62/140

There are several grounds attached to the lower studs that hold the dash in, one on each side of the car at the bottom of the dash. A missing ground will cause all kinds of strange things.

blue
    99z28 a4

thanks for all the advice replaced the alt it wasnt bad ....the wire to the alt just came loose so it wasnt charging but that didnt fix the problem did the bcm fix suggested by smittros sticky that didnt work...im frusterated wish i woulda left it alone and jus removed the nos tank... ill double check the grounds i checked everywhere that i could imagine a bare wire being but i didnt see any...now if only the rain would stop sunshine state my a**

Thread Information