Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EGR and AIR

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

EGR and AIR

Could someone explain to exactly what EGR and AIR do? What kind of gains could i get if i dont have these? Is it difficult/worth it? Would i have to put it back on for emissions in CT? Thanks guys.

Black
    02 Z06

yeah bump. I'm curious too. Will any hp be had if you removed these? or it just more esteticly pleasing in the engine bay?

Black
    97 z28

The EGR basically is used to bring carbon dioxide from your exhaust gas back to the intake manifold to lower the peak combustion temperature of your motor, kinda acting like a fire extinguisher I guess, but yes it definately hurts your fuel economy and robs some power, it's basically for emissions.. so yes, you should remove it

The AIR system pumps fresh air into your ehaust during a cold startup to help the cats out until they get warmed up, since cats operate from heat. if you don't have cats, this is a completly useless system, otherwise it isn't necesarry to remove it right away.. unless you get an air lid or something like that.. then you might as well just take it out.

Here is a link to a good write up about them, and some instructions for removing them.

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=70

p.s. also note that you will throw ses codes if you remove these systems without reprogramming your puter..
    -SprFstZ28

I also agree with the above post

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The real answer--yes you will need the emissions systems to pass the emissions tests.I believe you have an electric air pump-it doesn't hurt power output except from the possible added drag from the alternater(negligible).The Egr and air injection is not working at full throttle anyway so how is it going to slow you down? The EGR is reducing peak combustion pressure as previously stated it reduces the tendency to knock also with the obvious performance gains from that (but again nothing is there at full throttle so moot point). If the engine is designed with these systems intended to be there unless you are intending on changing everything about that engine you are better off leaving it as designed. In other words if you have to ask the question you don't know enough about it to change it. realizing I'm being controversial here-but I've been doing this for a while so why stop now.

NBM
    99 TA

i removed mine last year. you wont notice any power difference. but it does shave some weight off the car and clean up the engine bay also. so its really up to you. some ppl say you should keep the AIR if you have cats, but ive been running cats with it and so have a few friends and dont notice a problem. you will have to get the codes deleted too or live with the service engine light on.

Black
    02 Z06

When you take the AIR and EGR off and it throws codes can you just take it to autozone or something and get them removed? or does someone have to have a special ls1 programmer to do it?

Black
    02 Z06

Also if I'm not able to get them removed right away will my engine go into a limp mode or anything?

NBM
    99 TA

you will need someone with ls1 edit or something to get rid of the codes. autozone will only be able to clear the service engine light, but it will come back on. and no the car wont go into limp mode if you drive it with the codes being thrown.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

next time u have ur lid and bellows off, with the car NOT running, manually flip open ur throttle body and look in there... see that tube right in the middle of where all the air would be flowing... thats the egr tube, if u dont want to remove u can cut it to a certain point without throwing codes...

Black
    02 Z06

hmmm is it hard to remove AIR and EGR? I'll prob just end up doing it. But I'm just being lazy lol.

Boosted Foolz

BlAcK
    1998 FiReBiRd FoRmUlA

i never heard of it being to tough a job, just make sure u have all the block plates u need to do it. If u search there is instructions on how to do it

NBM
    99 TA

it is easy to remove. the hardest part is getting the pump out. took less than an hour. and you can either buy block off plates or make your own. i made my own just because it was temporary until i got my LT headers on.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you've got an emissions test where you live -you will need the air pump and the egr to be there.

removing the egr system will hurt cruising fuel mileage terribly......i'm not gonna get into a huge debate or try to explain it but if you do alot of highway driving don't remove the egr.Removing the air will just kill the cats and 02 sensors alot faster.It is also used by the pcm to do some checks and calibrations.Sure you can remove these devices but be ready for lots of headaches...look at the posts on here when guyz put headers on and remove things then end up with a big mess noone will work on.If you wanna mod yer car do it smart.

WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

If you want your engine to last dont remove these...trust me the factory knows what there doing, they didnt put them on there for shits giggles and emmisions. They serve valuable purposes... as stated above EGR and AIR are critical to combustion temprature and NOx elimination. Do as you will but I certainly dont recomend removing either. In the event you to take them off you run the risk of pissing of your PCM and throwing codes... The PCM will also compinsate if it sees the EGR isnt working properly.... hence you loose performance... its alot more in depth than this but If i were you....leave them on, not like there hurting anything in there

NBM
    99 TA

i havent had any problems with both removed. the 01-02 did not even come with the EGR system. they are both there for emissions. the AIR does help keep the cats longer. the EGR just recirculates exhaust air back into the intake...so i dont know how that would decrease fuel mileage...mine has stayed the same, other than not having as much fresh air in the cylinder for combustion.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Like the one guy was saying-there is a lot more going on here than you would think.Probably hurts hiway mileage because of the increase in combustion pressures and temperatures makes the computer knock back timing,which decreases power and gas mileage.Around town driving you wouldn't notice it as much.In other words you need to keep in mind -the engine was designed to run with these things in place-remove them and you will compromise something else.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

You people sound scared.. LOL sorry but what about the torque management on new vettes and GTOs? People remove cats all the time, right? Fact of the matter is cars have these because of federal laws NOT because they were designed to run with them. Once GM found a way to reduce emissions without them then away they went. Plus if you have a tune then the stock timing doesnt come into play anymore anyhow.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

It's the first thing I did to mine nearly 4 years ago ... when I bought it. Probably the best free mod there is, other than grinding the bump stop on the throttle body ... or maybe the airbox cutout/seal.

Thread Information