Thread: EGR?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

EGR?

I looked and found nothing really resourceful when it comes to an EGR write up. My car is throwing retarded codes left and right and discovered that one half of the cause is a sticky EGR (and the other half is that I removed my intake to clean out carbon only to find the previous owner had the MAF DESCREENED!! ) ... I'm going to tune out the EGR codes - question is - are there any stickies with pictures somewhere here that I'm overlooking? Or any good tips on what to do or any other things I can remove while in there?

PS the MAF thing is no BS, you really shouldn't remove that screen! Now I need a new one

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the egr is pretty straight forward. Just unbolt it from the intake and exhaust manifolds and then unbolt it from the head and pull it out of there. A 1 3/8" expandable freeze out plug ( available at any parts store) can be used to plug the hole in the intake. You can either make your own block off for the exhaust manifold by tracing the egr port onto some metal and cutting it out or Thunder racing carries the block offs for ~$10 I think.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

thanks orion!

im not sure if this has been answered anywhere, but what are the pros/cons of removing the EGR? i hooked up a tech 2 to her last night to test the EGR and found that it is functioning when commanded so it's no longer stuck so i'm kind of on the fence about removing it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    thanks orion!

im not sure if this has been answered anywhere, but what are the pros/cons of removing the EGR? i hooked up a tech 2 to her last night to test the EGR and found that it is functioning when commanded so it's no longer stuck so i'm kind of on the fence about removing it.
    you really should get it tuned afterwards so if you have some other mods planned and not having an issues with it I would hold off until then. You'll get the ses light but more importantly there's an egr spark adder table that needs to be zero'd out. If not you'll most likely see some tip in knock retard.

Thread Information