www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

ECT Sensor Cam Scam

Just a thought...how can I tell the cam was actually changed with out taking apart the motor? I also have a temperature sensor problem, more than likely the ECT.. From what I've read when the ECT fails it can appear as if you have a cam... I'm going to replace the ECT sensor tomorrow, but I'm still curious as to ways to identify if the car is cam'd or not.

I can hear the sewing machine noise, but could that also be from the ECT? Tomorrow will be interesting! The car's sound is so freaking low pitched at idle, the bass shakes the shit out of everyone in my car, and all the cars around it... That's what makes me think it has a cam... But i could be wrong ! Would the cam make the sound lower? It reminds me of how cig boats with big motors sound on the water.... so low bass the water trembles

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Sounds like a case for the hardly Boys...

The Hardly Boys. Two young wipper-snappers with a knack for solving mysteries. The Hardly Boys in.....the mystery of the ect cam scam

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

no ect's in stock, closest one is lakeland. It'll be here tomorrow and i'll post the results. Got to be the easiest sensor to replace!

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

well i got the ect sensor but the shop ordered the wrong one.. They had on file for a 98 only two prong, mine is three. Sensor comes in tomorrow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the only experience I've had with a ect going bad was the car would idle fine in open loop ( cold) and then went super rich and died when it went to closed loop (warm). See any silicon around the front cover like it's been off the car? That's about the only way I can think of off the top of my head that would visually point to a cam swap. Sewing machine sound might point to stiff springs which would/should be done with a cam.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Excellent post orion, thank you for your input and time. I will check for the silly-con lol

I finally got the right ECT today from the stealership, they went out of their way to get me the correct one. They had one in stock originally, and it was for the 99's... Too big of thread for my bung.

They ordered one from tampa, and didn't charge me the 15% delivery fee, ontop of charging the same price. The one I needed was 12 dollars more than the 99's which didn't fit.

I installed the sensor, and the car runs great now. The temp gauge works all the time,and it still sounds like i have a cam.. I'm positive now that the vehicle has been cammed..

So 2 months, $1600 dollars later, my camaro is leak free and reads correct temperature. All I need now is a new AC system and she'll be better than OEM.

This forum helps me out A LOT! THANK YOU EVERYONE AT LS1.com

98 Formula
    06 duramax

who needs A/C....just take the tops out and save the horsepower. Of course I still have A/C in mine.....it gets real cold too.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yah screw AC who needs it when its nov and 90F i like to sweat... i could actually use the weight loss lmao

mine gets cold after a fresh can of r

but two or three days later and its back to null

I can't wait to get it fixed... Camaro's have amazing AC's when they work!

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Well the sensor has gone bad again. I wiggled the wires on the pigtail and it seemed to fix it temporarily. Anyone know the #'s for the pigtail?

1998 Camaro Z28, with the skinnier ect sensor not the fat ones. The dealership gave me the wrong one originally, the fat one. Too big for my bung.

Is there any reason a cam would cause the ect sensor to go out regularly? I wouldn't think so, but anything is possible when you have intermittent electrical issues.

Thread Information