navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Easy fix for stock fog lights 98-02 Camaro

Had one of my foglights go out a while back-got the urge to fix it the other day and bought a new one at the dealer. These are expensive at $96 list-I got net pricing because of my job at $72. Still expensive but I think they're cool so w/e.
    It's a slight PITA to replace so after getting it in there I stepped back to enjoy my handiwork- and now the other side wasn't working! I couldn't believe that was a mere coincindence so I decided to see if I couldn't get it working again. Reached down in there and gave it about 5 slaps and BINGO-it starts working again! Just bitch slapped it like it wasn't worth $100- and sure enough that's what it took to get it interested in working again.
    So I went back to the side I just replaced and re-hooked back up the "burned out" one. It still didn't work so I bitch slapped it hard about 5 times and sure enough- it started working again! Just to see if it would also go dark by hitting it I slapped it up side the head about 10 times with no ill effects. I left the new one in place but am going to be interested in how long the other "fixed one will work. I think it will work for a long time but only time will tell.
    In conclusion-- before replacing your factory foglights try slapping it like a red-headed stepchild and see if it doesn't come around.

100 + for the ones on a 95. Kept gettin knocked out w rocks. After 3 times I put 3 mm plexiglass over em. smackin is easier

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The 98 and newer are different-no replaceable bulbs. They only want you to replace the entire assembly so it's much more expensive. The lenses are really thick, it looks like mine has sustained numerous rock chips without breakage. Recently figured out a way to disassemble the lights and sure enough the bulb is soldered in place. When I get a chance i want to try and see if I can't find a replacement solder-in type bulb for these. Mainly wanted to update about the 'slap fix' (ha). It doesn't stay working for long. Will update when I locate a solder-in bulb (if I do).

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Easy solution - I replaced my stockers with a set of Hella Micro DE driving lights and use HID bulbs with them. Came out OFF THE HOOK !!!! I have pics on my webpage. Can't post pics right now.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I realize you can just replace them with something else. My goal is to remain stock. If I can get a replacement bulb for a couple bucks and solder it in there I will do that instead. Just trying to be different I guess.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

OK finally had some time to goof with this. The solution is so easy I feel silly I hadn't seen this before. The factory service manual and owners manual doesn't list a bulb replacement for the factory foglights for the 98 -02 Camaro. They want you to replace the entire assembly at a cost of $100 a side. I realize there are other foglights in the aftermarket but I was wanting to retain a factory appearance so I wanted a factory foglight.
    Well what if I told you that you can fix your factory ones for less than $12 a side? Would that interest you? It interested me. Here's the bulb number. It twists in like a halogen headlight-- Wagner #BP894-- got mine at NAPA for cost but they list price at $11.13. Here's a couple photos if I know how to download them.

white
    2002 z28

great info for when my goes out 02z28les1

soo do a write up on it, do i have to disasemble the fog light or is there a twist/turn outlet for new bulb to go in????????

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Sorry -didn't see your question there! No write up necessary other than what I put there-it's a very simple job actually. Once you do this you'll see what I mean. I had to dismantle everything before I realized this myself -so you guys can do this the easy way. I changed the one on my passenger side simply by opening the hood and reaching down in there. There is an 'access door' that you can remove underneath if you can't get to yours from the top side for some reason. Simply twist the brown rubber part that holds the bulb (see photo in my last post) a quarter turn, and pull straight back out of the housing. Make a mental note of the orientation of the bulb unit to housing so as to make it easier to put back in, it only fits in one way and you don't want to fumble around and touch the new halogen bulb. Unclip the wiring connector and slide back. Make sure not to touch the bulb on the new one (or use rubbing alcohol to clean it before putting back in) as it is a halogen bulb. Upon inspecting my old bulb I can clearly see the filament was broken, the enjoyable but short lived 'slap' fix must have reconnected the filament enough to work temporarily. Reconnect the wiring after putting back in bulb, it's just easier that way. Turn on foglights and enjoy the fact that you just saved a ton of money.
    It never occured to me that the bulb would be so simple to change because they didn't list a bulb number in any of the factory or aftermarket info I could find. When the one in my 98 went out it was replaced under warranty, and they replaced the entire unit at the dealership back then. I will always wonder why they wouldn't list this number even if only to save themselves some money. An unsolved
    mystery.
    Hope this helps someone out!

white
    2002 z28

Cool Thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

As I was reading through this thread, I was and glad you finally figured out that its just the bulb that needs replaced, not the entire housing.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I do try to maintain a humorous approach to writing stuff on this forum -even if i occasionally slip into my flame mode.

Keep in mind that I put this on the back burner for a while as I didn't think of this particular little project as being of life threatening importance. After working on cars all day at work sometimes the personal projects (of which I have several vehicle projects going) lose significance. I checked the factory service manual and looked for bulb numbers and also in the aftermarket and was unsuccessful. Remembering the factory dealership method of service being to replace the whole thing i went ahead and ordered one before ever even looking at the light itself. Even after taking it out it sat on the back of my workbench (at work) for days before I ever got a chance to goof around with it. After looking at it closely and realizing it was a removeable bulb with a number we cross referenced it to a NAPA number and ordered one. Carquest couldn't get us one until the next day so it must not be a fast moving bulb number. Anyway I am hoping someone else can avoid the pitfalls of replacing with more expensive alternatives when a simple and inexpensive fix is available.

Silver
    2000 SS

I replaced mine with just a bulb that was all that was wrong with mine thank goodness

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

There you go- much cheaper and easier to replace just the bulb instead of getting a whole different type of light.
    I like putting my foglights on when blasting down the fast lane during the day -it gets peoples attention and they move out of the way. Usually.

Remember the vets.

White
    2001 Camaro

Great info thanks.

Champange
    2000 Camaro

Thank You for the Info

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Wow that was back in 2007, I still have my 02 Camaro and it's running strong. Good to see this info helping people.
    black and blue 02-6 speeds o fun

01 SS

Fog free, ftw!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Wow, how did you do that?

01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    Wow, how did you do that?
    Have a decent body shop guy that likes a challenge. Did a helluva job too. I tell a lot of guys that actually catch it, it was an option, lol.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yeah made me think about it for a minute before I realized they never made it that way! If you find a body man like that you stick with him. They are rare.

Thread Information