Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

yellow
    2002 collectors edition

E-85 flex fuel who using it????

man I am so sick of paying for overpriced fuel, who using e-85 here. check out this 1000 +++ rwh mustang using it. http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/ind...?topic=47094.0 , I am swicthing. lets hear about the ls1 guys, so who is using it?

Black
    2000 WS6

My Ford Ranger uses Flex fuel. I have not used on my TA.

It was my understanding that it is harmful to run that fuel in an LS1.......you should only use it on vehicles that are specifically designed for that fuel.

yellow
    2002 collectors edition

all the new ls1 trucks run this fuel, you can run it in are cars, I just want to hear from the people who has tested this fuel out, we can no longer be hostage to the middle east any more, this is an americain made fuel ,we have enoungh resourses to be energy independent, and I do not like the idea of hydrogen fuel cells , why fuel cells, that is such a foriegn technology , you can run hydrogen strait in to the gas engine, and it will work just fine with the byproduct still bieng water, we are car guys, and it starts right here so let me here from the people , who is running alternitive fuele, and going fast.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I like what BMW did with their prototype Hydrogen combustion car. Here is some info on it: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/bmw-h2r2.htm

Getting back to the e85 subject I believe LS1 can actually run the fuel but the main issue really is tunning, your computer will need to be tuned for the fuel. I'm guessing is that the FlexFuel cars have a 2 programs in their computer and possible a sensor to figure out what type of fuel you are running and adjust the car accordingly. Of course this speculation as I'm not 100% sure. But if that is the case you would need to buy HPTuners and have 2 tunes created so you can switch back and forth depending on fuel availability. Also I think you will need bigger ingectors to support the same power. Do a search on LS1Tech they seem to have a lot of info in the subject.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

04 srt4 and 99 firebird

As far as I understand you have to do anything from spraying 15% more fuel to replacing the injectors, fuel lines (with teflon ones), and gas tank (with coated one) so it is compadible with the fuel.

i'd switch if it was around here... its over the 100 mark in octane too isnt it? seems the perfect race fuel for daily drive racers.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

i thought we were going to utilize the hydrogen in water? sounds plausible, only it would crash the market for fuel alltogether.

either way, id love to swap over to E85 myself. ive heard you will see a decrease in gas mileage, but you would still be saving money. watch them pull some shit in a few years when everybody switches over, "Due to the high demand of ethanol, we only expect to produce a blah amount of barrells."

Price goes up, people get pissed, Arabs laugh, we steal another country for oil, all is happy again.
    Last edited by myk02k; 04-29-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

BTW what the fuck did happen to "No war for oil!" I bet you they are eating their words now, but where the fuck is our good oil prices? We should've invaded Iraq with drills and pumps, not tanks and jets! Our government can't even utilize a war for our own good for damn sake.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

I just saw a show about alcohol being used as a fuel in Brazil. ON the Discovery or Learning channel.

Brazil, I think it was, has so much darn sugar cane to sell to the world the GOV made it a law that all gas stations and shippers HAVE to offer 100% alcohol at there stations. LAW.

There cars are called Flex Fuel, made by Chevy and Ford, and they are just that. You can put any amount, percentage, of alcohol or gas you like in the tank. Mixed. Not separate tanks. The normal O2 sensor on a car also works for AL. So all the PC has to do is have the programming and fuel system capability to double the fuel volume. Why?

Gas burns on a ratio of 14.7 to 1.
    Alcohol on a ratio of 7ish to 1.
    That's the bitcher.

These stations were showing gas prices of $2.40 and AL prices of $1.10. I was pissed off at our country while watching this. After the show I realized. You will get 1/2 the gas mileage on AL. Double that fuel price per mile. They rarely mention that.

BUT all that money stays home. No filthy rich Ben Ladens'.

Additional info. The octane on AL is way over 100. Like 110-120.
    Everyone in Brazil ran the pure AL. When it is cold out the car will not start on it. They use a small tank in the engine bay with gas just to start the car. ha-ha
    Exactly the opposite of what we do. They mix gas to lower there Octane for cold starting. We use AL to raise our Octane. There's is cheaper and the money goes to the farmer instead of the Arab. Or Venezuelan.

In short. You have to flow 2 times the amount of fuel. HP stays the same. Although the sky high octane frees up mods.

Hydrogen. Really damn expensive. I think you'd be wishing for $4 gallon gas first.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

hydrogen is in water...ive heard it would be possible to use water as a fuel. but no, the market would crash if nobody bought any form of fuel anymore.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I saw this web site recently: http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

Supposedly you can make the E85 fuel for about 75 cents a gallon! I would love to hear about someone converting their LS1 to use this fuel too. I see that neither my TA or my daily driver Ford escape can use this fuel so until someone starts selling E85 conversion kits I am stuck paying Osamas brothers for gas. :P

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

by buying gas, you are also supporting our troops :-)
    taxes go to gov't, gov't can fund our war

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by stage274
    man I am so sick of paying for overpriced fuel, who using e-85 here. I am swicthing. lets hear about the ls1 guys, so who is using it?
    Hopefully no one, because the LS1 is not a flex fuel engine.

Ethanol might be cheaper but you get worse mpg gallon on it.

Who the hell buys a V8 anyway for the reason of saving gas? Get a Prius.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    hydrogen is in water...ive heard it would be possible to use water as a fuel. but no, the market would crash if nobody bought any form of fuel anymore.
    The process is called electolisys. SP
    It takes more energy to separate the H from the 2O than you get after it is done. Much more expensive than gas. I'm afraid to admit that even at $3 a gallon you can't beat gas. Alcohol is about the same price given that it takes twice as much. Still, I'd stop and fill up twice as often to keep the money in the US.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

6. Isn't ethanol bad for certain fuel system components in fuel pumps and carbuerators?

No. Todays cars are built to be compatible with ethanol-blended fuels. When ethanol was first introduced in the 1980s, some cars experienced deterioration of some elastomers (rubber-like parts) and metal fuel system components. Very quickly, manufacturers upgraded their fuel systems so that today, they are now all compatible with ethanol fuels.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Q. What is the octane rating of 180 proof ethanol?

A. 180 proof ethanol is equivalent to 106 octane.

Black
    '97 Trans Am

I think that this E85 stuff is, or should be, the fuel of the future. While there are problems with out now, its still new technology. I think if we perfect this, we will be one step closer to not relying on fossil fuels. I think the world has to realize that we are running out of oil. Maybe not in x amount of years, but we will run out. And what then? I'm not saying we have to stop using gas tomorrow, but I think that while we still have oil readily available, we should really be reaserching alternative fuels. If not E85, then at least something else.

Another reason why I think E85 is that it still works with current technology. Its still a combustion engine, still gas stations, etc. Its not like we all have to buy hydrogen cars that no one will no what the f*ck is going on inside.

And with the price, its a renewable reseource that is still early in its technology, so I think it will definately go down. While gas on the other, probably wont go down in price.

And does anyone know if this stuff pollutes like normal gas?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

what i know about hydrogen cars...
    what is the main catalyst for breakdown on cars? hydrocarbons
    no HC's in hydrogen, so what'll break the motor down?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Here's another link to a company who is selling conversion kits for E-85.

http://xcelplus.com/e85/Converter%20Store.htm

It looks like the units are made in Brazil and designed to work with Bosch injectors. I have no idea what injectors the LS1 uses but it may require an additional kit to be purchased for it.

There are no E85 stations here in Phoenix currently, but I will have to look into how hard the process of making the fuel mix myself would be...

Thread Information