2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Dropping engine. Need help with last steps.

Ok, so I found some threads on multiple forums about how to drop the engine out of an f-body. I've followed them as best I could but some things remain a little unclear to me. I have drained all fluids, removed radiator/fans, removed battery, removed intake, unhooked alot of the wiring harness, removed the computer, pull the computer wires through the firewall, removed one of the driveshaft and the brace beneath it, and removed the exhaust. I know I still need to unbolt the shocks/springs, removed the main transmission brace/mount thing, unhook the brakes lines and fuel lines, and find some way to get the A/C unhooked. The A/C is my main problem because I dont want to end up spraying all of my freon into the atmosphere. What do I do there? And have I left out any other steps needed to fully remove the engine/subframe? And what all does the wiring harness need to be unhooked from? Thanks.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You would need a refrigerant recovery machine to evacuate the freon. Or, you could unbolt the condenser from the radiator and lower it from the front end so you don't have to disconnect any hoses. You will most likely need another set of hands to rest the condenser on the engine while you raise the body off the front subframe.

You have to disconnect the harnesses from every sensor in the engine bay. Knock, O2, Temp, Oil pressure, and more I cannot think of at the moment.

red
    99 camaro

he's still gonna have to remove the compressor from the engine or the hoses arent gonna be long enough to go from the firewall to the compressor, Isn't he???

red
    02 trans am ws6

you dont need to remove the hoses. unbolt it and wire tie it up. It's a simple process just go slow to make sure nothing is still connected. It takes me longer to find tools then it does to pull the motor. I've gotten good at it. Don't let it intimidate you.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

So, does the wiring harness get dropped out with the engine? Or does it stay in the engine bay?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you are going with a newer LSx motor, then yes. If you are going with a motor of the same model year, then no, you can reuse your cars wiring.

red
    02 trans am ws6

you disconnect the wiring from under the ecm. pull them thru the firewall. you need to disconnect the wiring on the pass. side fender, throttle cable, brake booster hose and the 2 front brake lines from the master cylinder. There is a book "how to build high performance chevy ls1/ls6 v8" by Will Handzel. I would suggest getting it 15 to 25$. Lots of info on how to drop it out. It has a camaro, vette, and a silverado ss on the cover. You set the wiring on top the motor when you drop it out. You will disconnect everything that stays on the motor and pull it out.

2010 Nissan Sentra SR dd

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    If you are going with a newer LSx motor, then yes. If you are going with a motor of the same model year, then no, you can reuse your cars wiring.
    Going to rebuild current engine hopefully. But if it cant be rebuilt, then it will be the same year LS1 more than likely. I know I can reuse the harness but my question was whether or not the harness came out with the engine or whether it was attatched to the engine bay and got left there when the engine/subframe were dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by badazta View Post
    you disconnect the wiring from under the ecm. pull them thru the firewall. you need to disconnect the wiring on the pass. side fender, throttle cable, brake booster hose and the 2 front brake lines from the master cylinder. There is a book "how to build high performance chevy ls1/ls6 v8" by Will Handzel. I would suggest getting it 15 to 25$. Lots of info on how to drop it out. It has a camaro, vette, and a silverado ss on the cover. You set the wiring on top the motor when you drop it out. You will disconnect everything that stays on the motor and pull it out.
    Already disconnected the wires from the ECM and have pulled them through the firewall. I've also disconnected the harness from the intake, T/B, radiator/fans, brake booster, and something else I cant remember.

I've seen that book multiple times in the store and always tell myself to buy but then I convince myself that I dont have $25 to spare right now and that I can always find all the same info on the interwebs. But, I have less and less resistance every time I see it so hopefully with me changing jobs in the next few weeks and hopefully having much more money in my pocket, I'll pick it up next time I'm in the store.
    Last edited by KnightmareWS6; 04-19-2010 at 03:34 PM.

S O M
    2002 Camaro SS

You can do this w/o having to evacuate the system or disconnecting the A/C compressor.

Removing the ECM harness and pulling wires through the firewall is an extra step I didn't use.

2002 Camaro 11.828 @ 119.88 3900 lbs with me in the seat.
    2004 Z06 for Road Courses.

Thread Information