The dreaded One Wheel Wonder :-(

My 02 WS6 seems to have lost a little something lately. It all sounds and feels fine, but now, most of the time when I launch or juice the throttle out of corners, I only spin one tire (passenger side generally)

I won't be able to get the car in a heated garage and open the rear end up for about 2 months. But in the meantime the suspense is killing me.
    Anyone have any theories as to what I am going to be looking at?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

The posi is probably shot and the carrier will need replaced. It won't affect drivability but it won't bioth tires either (or transfer power to the other side if the 1 side is slipping - which is what they were designed for in the 1st place). I've burned out a few in the 02 from drag racing.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    The posi is probably shot and the carrier will need replaced. It won't affect drivability but it won't bioth tires either (or transfer power to the other side if the 1 side is slipping - which is what they were designed for in the 1st place). I've burned out a few in the 02 from drag racing.
    +2. Agreed.

You can put a new carrier in, but many will suggest saving for a new rear end. The 7.5" 10 bolt rear ends in our cars are known to be weak. Even upgrading everything in them is pointless - ask me how I know (I keep breaking teeth off my gears now!).

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    +2. Agreed.

You can put a new carrier in, but many will suggest saving for a new rear end. The 7.5" 10 bolt rear ends in our cars are known to be weak. Even upgrading everything in them is pointless - ask me how I know (I keep breaking teeth off my gears now!).
    Way too true!

I wish I'd have listened to smarter folks back in the day. With what I've spent so far (3 rear end housings, 4 sets of gears and 5 posi's) I could've purchased a Dana 60...

If you subject your car to any kind of abuse the rear end is definetly the weakest link...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

I'm new to working on rear ends, so please bare with me. But if I open the rear end up, will it be painfully obvious that something has gone wrong? Or what would I be looking for to show me that indeed my condition is related to a failed posi?

I ask because this condition started just before the first snowfall of the year when I put the car into storage...so I can't take the car out until next spring to test it out.
    And I hesitate to order a new rear end at this point because now that I think of it, I did have a pretty good leak in the rear and just threw in a full bottle of synthetic fluid in it to hold me over the last trip to the track....I'm wondering if it could be because I didn't add any more of the friction modifier? or if so much fluid leaked out on the way to the track that I was running low.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When you drain the gear oil, check for metal flakes/shavings in the oil. I don't think there are other ways to inspect a diff though.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    I'm wondering if it could be because I didn't add any more of the friction modifier?
    i believe friction modifier keeps the diff from "locking" so that when you go around turns the wheels are able to spin at different speeds. it just makes your rear end slip. my car used to spin one wheel alot more than the other, both would spin but at 2 different speeds. when i did my gears i didnt add any modifier because i was told it would help the difflock up better, and it did. at least till i get a stronger rear

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

No need to look for anything. If it won't lock anymore the posi is shot. Either get a new carrier or save for a new rear.

2002 trans am ws6

that's the same thing that i notice on my car. when ever i turn to the left and hit the gas it spins both tires. But when i turn to the right it only spins the passenger tire. i thought it was normal i guess not

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It is kinda normal. A torsen posi acts a little funny sometimes.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    That they do!

I currently have a Torsen posi in the 02. Half the time it want's to go forward and the other half of the time it want's to go to the left when I do a burnout prior to staging.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

That is true. I much prefer the Auburn units.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    That is true. I much prefer the Auburn units.
    I burned out 2 Auburn posi units which is why I now have a Torsen.

It might do a burnout funny sometimes but it's tracked straight and true off the line everytime I've nailed the hammer at the starting line.

2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    that's a relief. i didn't feel like buying a rear end right now.

+1 for the acting weird

Its not that it doesn't ever lock, its just wasn't consistent. Actually I decided to move my shelter to the back of the yard yesterday...which ment idling the WS6 about 30 feet across frozen grass. I gave it a little gas just to see if it would slip and both time it did lock and turn over both wheels.

I think I'll just fix the leak next spring and see how it acts, before buying a new rear.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It seems like in a straight line accel, they work well, but if you unload a tire in a turn they act more like an open diff. If both tires have full weight on them with equal-ish traction they will posi like you'd expect.

Thread Information