Drag racers, rough estimate please

I've done a bit of searching and reading for the answer to this question, but I can't seem to find a set up that is similar. Most cars I see have bigger stalls or M6s, run economy heads or very different cams, and I see a lot of cars with weight reduction or gears......all things that make them much different than me.

So I'm asking for a rough estimate from those who are always at the track and have a good sence of what F-bodys can do with various states of modification.

I'm running an 02 trans am WS6 (with some weight added - 3pt SFCs, big sway bars, a STB) but I plan to offset the weight somewhat when I add my new suspenion that includes LCAs a 0.75" drop, slightly stiffer springs, koni DAs, after market A arms, and lightweight K member)

I currently run 315 nitto 555 (street not drag) tires, and full bolt ons. Its also an automatic with stock 3.23 gears.

I'm probably about to add a good set of Trick flow heads, 3200 stall, and a cam similar to comp cams LSr 227/235 .614/.621 113LSA. Just to totally empty my wallet I'll probably add a fast 102 intake and matching TB (not yet sure about finding a bigger maf or lid)

Does anyone think they can confidently ballpark a 1/4 mile et? (perhaps to within +/- a half second?)

And yes, I fully understand its an estimate, and outside factors can varry track times wildly........I'm not a drag racer, and I probably won't have time to hit the track until late fall, but I'm curious and I couldn't resist asking.

Just for reference, I last ran a 12.9 at 108.8mph with a 2.165 60' - I believe the 60' has potential for "some" improvement as early spring temperatures were cool and cloud cover offered the strip no heat. The track is also very near sea level.
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 08-04-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

With the mods posted and this is a guess 12.2 or .1 ish.. The one mod you have listed that does not match is the 3200 converter. Well that and the nittos.. If your wanting 1/4 mile times get rid of the 315's. You will have to go to a different wheel but try some ET Streets. Street tires and or Nitto's will not cut your 60' down. Cut the 60' down and watch the times drop.

I freely admit that I have NO experience modding engines or trannys, and no real idea if this is a good set up for what I plan to do. I've basically pieced this idea together based on some reading here, and a few emails sent to comp cams.

With that said, here was my logic >> I am open to a tire with somewhat better traction, but I don't think I want to go with a high traction drag radial.....I hear a lot of different things about these cars, but one thing that most people seem to agree on is that very sticky tires, plus lots of power = short life for the stock rear end. I don't have the budget for a 12 bolt any time soon so I'd rather give up something with only a moderate tire, and hope for the best.

The 3200 stall is also a compromise for a car that will see much more everyday use around town, and a fair bit of autoX....I'm sure bigger would be better for the drag strip, but thats really what the car will see the least of.
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 08-04-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    With that said, here was my logic >> I am open to a tire with somewhat better traction, but I don't think I want to go with a high traction drag radial.....I hear a lot of different things about these cars, but one thing that most people seem to agree on is that very sticky tires, plus lots of power = short life for the stock rear end. I don't have the budget for a 12 bolt any time soon so I'd rather give up something with only a moderate tire, and hope for the best.

The 3200 stall is also a compromise for a car that will see much more everyday use around town, and some autoX....I'm sure bigger would be better for the drag strip, but thats really what the car will see the least of.
    I drove mine with a 3500 TCI converter for the first 3 years daily driven. IMO the A4's should come with the 3500 stock. Have you driven a car with a different converter in it? Also IMO the 10 bolt can handle Nitto's and ET Streets for years but not with 315's. I went to a much stiffer torque arm and that was when my 10 bolt broke. The sticky tire, plus power and short rear life, is seen more on the M6 than the A4. But both can and will break it..

Thread Information