Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Donaldson "Blackwing" Air Filter

After going through all of the forums looking for stuff on air filters, it seems like most don't like K&N because of the oil not being good for our cars and the filtration. I saw some remarks about donaldson blackwing PAPER filters being good and that Amsoil bought rights to use their nanofiber technology in theirs. Now what can't seem to figure out is that I bought a donaldson filter that you have to OIL from Summit Racing, so is this filter good or bad and does this have that nanofiber tech in it? When I bought it, it did show a small cross-section of their "fibers" and claimed it was better than what K&N uses.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Just a simple cheap old paper filter works just fine, run them in all 5 of my vehicles, i went through the K&N hooplah and wont go back.
    Just my opinion though...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Not good.
    Paper filter good enough.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

The oil filters are fine if you properly FOLLOW the instructions for cleaning and re-oiling.

If you don't follow the instructions you end up with oil getting all over your MAF.

I also have personally switched back to paper. There are lots of opinions on how well the filters really "filter" etc.. The big reason I went with paper is because cleaning and re-oiling the fitler properly is literally an all day event. You have to spray the cleaner on it, let it soak, clean it out. Then let it air dry which depending on the weather can take FOREVER.

So... I would say keep the filter and go back to paper when its too big of a pain in the butt for the extra 5hp it might get you.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Navy Blue Metallic

so then is the amsoil filter that a lot of people are raving about is it paper and really any better than the donaldson or even other paper filter?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I have a 3" X 14" K&N filter that I've used on 6 different cars over the last 25 years but they were all carb'd cars. You really can get 1 million miles out of it (well, over 200,000 at this point).

I use paper filters on the 4th gens due to potential oil contamination of the MAF.

Post OE Paper VS. Nanofiber

Quote Originally Posted by DARK PHX View Post
    so then is the amsoil filter that a lot of people are raving about is it paper and really any better than the donaldson or even other paper filter?
    Donaldson produces both OEM type paper filters and filters made with their patented Nanofiber technology. But since Donaldson does not produce nanofiber air/oil filters for cars and light trucks, Amsoil bought licensing rights to do exactly that.

The nanofiber air filters utilize a paper substrata that incorporates an ultra fine glass fiber woven over the surface area of the filter. The result is satisfactory air flow and dirt retention that surpass that of traditional paper air filters.

For more info, click HERE

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have 2 Holly "Powershot" filters that require oiling, one is in the vehicle (ofcourse) the other sits in a box after cleaning and drying. When I need to change the filter, I have a clean one ready for oiling, and just swap it out, and repeat the process with the dirty filter.

I have never had any problems with oil piliferation of the MAF.

SteveC

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

For what it's worth... I've got a blackwing filter brand new and still in the plastic for sale. It came with my SLP flo-pack.

I kept using my k&n since it's done great so far.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i don't know about blackwings on f-bodies but they are fantastic on vettes...

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    For what it's worth... I've got a blackwing filter brand new and still in the plastic for sale. It came with my SLP flo-pack.

I kept using my k&n since it's done great so far.
    Thanks, but I bought the Donaldson oil filter with the donaldson re-charge kit last year without reading any of this stuff and now I worried about hurting my baby. So I'm just trying to figure out it I don't over-oil it will I be good and is this filter really not even worth taken a chance.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I've never heard of the blackwing filters, all I can relate is my personal experience. About 4 years ago I did a test with 2 filters and 1 no filter. I had inherited a K&N, which was properly newly cleaned, and ran this at the drag strip 2 times, along with a new AC Delco paper filter 2x, and no filter 2x. I saw no noticeable difference between the 6 runs, either in MPH or ET. So, since then, at least for this particular filter style, I've always used a clean, quality, paper filter. If I have any concerns about the filter, I put in a new one.

silver
    2000 formula

K&N fan here.........no ifs and or butts

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

I recently swapped the K&N that was previously installed on my car for an Amsoil nanofiber filter. It seems to fit my SLP lid much tighter and i dont have to worry about any oil getting on my MAF. im happy so far...

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    K&N fan here.........no ifs and or butts
    If you want poor filtration and the possiblity of oiling up your MAF. Not to mention the downtime and effort to clean and then oil it back up.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

i bought my car w a k&n then got the slp flow pack so now i have the black wing the black wing seems a lil thiner so maybe less resrtictive but realisicly i dont see you noticing a diffrence w any of them theres enough area around the filter to draw in as much air as you motor needs ppl just stand behind k&n because of the name and think there cool filters i think the part your going to notice is if you change your induction setup not what filter you use

Millenium Yellow
    2003 Corvette

Unhappy Black wing installation

Quote Originally Posted by DARK PHX View Post
    After going through all of the forums looking for stuff on air filters, it seems like most don't like K&N because of the oil not being good for our cars and the filtration. I saw some remarks about donaldson blackwing PAPER filters being good and that Amsoil bought rights to use their nanofiber technology in theirs. Now what can't seem to figure out is that I bought a donaldson filter that you have to OIL from Summit Racing, so is this filter good or bad and does this have that nanofiber tech in it? When I bought it, it did show a small cross-section of their "fibers" and claimed it was better than what K&N uses.
    I just installed a Black wing air filter on my 2003 Corvette and at first it didn't show any bad codes, but a few days later I get a "check engine" message on my dash but everything seems to be ok and actually I get a great improvement in acceleration and the engine seems to idle more smoothly,
    I wonder if this is a false code and can it be overridden by the computer.
    Otherwise oil,temps, and voltage are all normal.
    I have not been able to clear this message.
    Does anyone have any input on this?

koolou
    Last edited by koolou; 07-01-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: correct member name

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by koolou View Post
    I just installed a Black wing air filter on my 2003 Corvette and at first it didn't show any bad codes, but a few days later I get a "check engine" message on my dash but everything seems to be ok and actually I get a great improvement in acceleration and the engine seems to idle more smoothly,
    I wonder if this is a false code and can it be overridden by the computer.
    Otherwise oil,temps, and voltage are all normal.
    I have not been able to clear this message.
    Does anyone have any input on this?

koolou
    what is the code???

Yellow
    02 CETA#732

Advanced Flow Engineering (afepower.com) makes an oil-free high-flow filter that I've been satisifed with.
    On a Dynojet I verified a 2% power gain over a Delco paper filter on my car (stock), and the quality appears good.
    AFE part#31-10031 Pro-Dry S filter.
    Their testing showed 416 CFM flow compared to 205 CFM for paper.

"Pro DRY S provides dramatic airflow increases for improved horsepower and torque performance with 99.2% filtration efficiency.
    Constructed with 100% polyurethane on all four sides, this high flow "oil-free" OE replacement performance filter will outflow stock paper filter for improved horsepower and torque. Two layers of progressively finer mesh synthetic media provide maximum convenience and easy maintenance. Washable and reusable for multiple cleaning cycles, the tall open evenly spaced pleats provide excellent dust holding capacity for longer service cycle between cleanings. Integrated urethane bump seal insures tight, no leak seal over the life of the filter."

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

My car came with a K&N and i just bought the Amsoil Filter. No more oiling, better flow/filtration from what i've heard.

Thread Information