98 Formula
    06 duramax

doing the vats bypass on my car

My vats has acted up the last 2 times I've driven the car so I decided to bypass it. I checked the pellet on my key and it was 5980 ohms so I figure I fall into the 6040 nominal pellet which has a range of 5798-6302ohms. Here's the kicker though. The closest thing I could steal from work was a 5600ohms resistor so I temp wired it just to see. It worked. I'm not going to leave it in there though because it's actually below the lower range but I wanted to see if it would work. I'm a little skeptical of some of the vats info that's out there because if you go by what the write ups say then that resistor shouldn't work. I'm also going to fashion up a plug so there aren't butt connectors or anything under there. I've never trusted those. I would love to solder it in place but there just isn't room under there to solder the stuff in. Any ideas on a good style plug to put in there would be appreciated.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well did you cut the wire so your key is still not in the circuit? It does seem strange that the wrong resisitor worked. The system is pretty straight forward. It is possible the reading on your meter was a little off. While we are on the topic I would like to tell you why I will never remove vats.

I used to live in an apartment complex when I had my 89 RS as a DD. It was my first teenage money dump. Headers, 12s under the hatch amps, kick ass deck. Chip, You name it. Suckers broke into it and stoll the deck. Broke the driver side window. I got it fixed not 2 weeks later they popped the passenger side lock out with a screw driver and tried to steel it. I drove it by starting it exactly like they would have except I had my vats key and it would start. They would have got my car if I didn't have that.

I know I know, I should have had an alarm, but the VATS saved me from loosing my car. Still got it today!

red
    1999 trans am convert

Most resistors are + or - 10%.So 10% is 560 which,when added or subtracted,would put you in the range needed.Also Radio Shack sells 'em for about a buck...is that all your job is worth?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    Well did you cut the wire so your key is still not in the circuit? It does seem strange that the wrong resisitor worked. The system is pretty straight forward. It is possible the reading on your meter was a little off. While we are on the topic I would like to tell you why I will never remove vats.

I used to live in an apartment complex when I had my 89 RS as a DD. It was my first teenage money dump. Headers, 12s under the hatch amps, kick ass deck. Chip, You name it. Suckers broke into it and stoll the deck. Broke the driver side window. I got it fixed not 2 weeks later they popped the passenger side lock out with a screw driver and tried to steel it. I drove it by starting it exactly like they would have except I had my vats key and it would start. They would have got my car if I didn't have that.

I know I know, I should have had an alarm, but the VATS saved me from loosing my car. Still got it today!
    I've thought about the theft issue but my car stays in the garage and I live in a pretty decent area so crime is few and far between. Not that it wouldn't ever happen but the chances aren't that great. This particular design sucks and it's not if it will fail but when. If I tear everything apart and fix the vats then chances are I'll be doing it again at some point. A better safe guard would be wiring a switch for the fuel pump.
    I agree with edbird that the tolerance allowed this particular resistor to work. It was actually a gold band resistor which is a 5% tolerance resistor but that still would put it in range. I went to radio shack today to get the correct resistor and the radio shack I went to was in a mall and didn't even carry resistors. Cell phones, cell phone chargers, and satellite stuff seems to be the mall stores money maker. I'll go to a regular store this week sometime and pick one up.

Thread Information