Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Does the oil filter make a difference?

So i was talking with a buddy up at work and we were talking about the oils we use in our cars and i asked what kind of oil filter he uses and he was like well i use the GM Goodwrench filter what do you use? and i said i use Fram tough guard and he was like does it make a difference? and i said shit i dont know. so any body with some knowledge on this subject want to fill me in?

Black
    00 WS6

Most people are not going to have much good to say about a Fram oil filter, I've used them for years w/o a problem.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Some filters are a bit more restrictive than others, however when you are putting out 40 psi+ it does not make much of a difference.

What would make a difference is to go to a longer oil filter, this will allow you to hold 1/2 qt more of oil. I use the Mobil M1-206, you can cross reference over to the fram filter.

SteveC

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Fram are cheaply constucted. The good ol AC/Delco PF46 is tough to beat for these cars. A good sealing anti-drainback valve and lots of filtering media even if it small. It is supposed to filter better than the larger PF51 it replaced..... Go do some reading on bobistheoilguy.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Ok sweet thanks guys ima hit up bobtheoilguy.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In a nutshell, ditch the Fram filter and go get a Wix or a Napa Gold -- they are one in the same. I watched all the vids where they cut open the filters to inspect the media, anti-drain back valve and such.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

come on lee!!! fram is poop, use cardboard as a filter media. amsoil Ea filters are by far the best as they have a synthetic filter media. i always just use delcos cuz they are free to me also on the ls1 motah they call for the pf46 but a pf61 fits just the same but is a tad longer so you get mas filter surface

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I saw a good article somewhere, sometime on oil filters. They cut them all in half and analyzed them. I can't remember where that way, maybe on bobistheoilguy...? But if you google a bit I think you can find similar comparisons. I used to just get whatever oil filter the lube shops put on it, which I am sure was the cheapest option. After reading the article I started using better filters like K&N or Mobile1.

I've also read that with a better filter and normal driving conditions, you can get by with changing the filter every other oil change. I haven't gotten that brave yet. Perhaps some of the knowledgeable guys that respond here will comment on that too?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here's a site that has a nice breakdown with a description of each filter and pics: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...reference.html

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I run the AC filter on my Bird, and a Fram on my Jeep. I really like the textured coating on the Fram, makes changing it a snap on the Jeep. I've been running them for over 100k on it, no probs so far...knock on wood.

And the Jeep runs like a top with just over 150k on it. My 98k LS1 actually uses more oil than the Jeep does.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I used to run Fram on everything as well. It was after I joined this site and came upon a filter thread that I quit using them. Pics just don't lie and it is evident that there are much better filters for my vehicles. I just never knew there was such a difference before.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Here's a site that has a nice breakdown with a description of each filter and pics: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...reference.html
    Nice article. I didn't realize the K&N and the Mobile-1 filters are the same filter. I guess now I can stop wondering which is better and just get whichever is cheaper!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thanks AJ, ill prolly just stick to fram on my truck since shes got over 250000 on her and maybe get the engine to blow. Not saying I want that to happen but it would a legitimate reason to buy a ls1

Thanks pajeff02, sweet website very interesting.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

lol megs i feel sorry for your vortec 350

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Didn't read all the posts but ditch Fram! A good chunk of auto parts stores will have a wide selection of oil filters cut apart to view the internals. Once I saw that, I wouldn't run Fram on my worst enemy's vehicle. AC Delco and Wix are two good filters for sure.
    Last edited by blackSS01; 08-22-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

lol aj its a damn good engine, would you rather me be driving that or a ls1??

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Didn't read all the posts but ditch Fram! A good chunk of auto parts stores will have a wide selection of oil filters cut apart to view the internals. Once I saw that, I wouldn't run Fram on my worst enemy's vehicle. AC Delco and Wix are two good filters for sure.
    Almost all Autoparts stores sell Fram filters. I doubt they would say or show anything negative about something they sold in their own store. If so, that would be some piss poor business/marketing skills

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I have since day one & will as long as I own my car only use a Purelator oil filter. You just simply cannot beat the quality for the price.
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...34244289-L.jpg
    99' NBM WS6 6-speed
    Mods:Stock bottom end-224/.581 114-TR 7.4's-P/P & milled .018" 5.3's-P/P TB-LS7 lifters-LS7 clutch-LS2 flywheel-MTI lid-Pacesetter LT's-TSP ORY-Hooker Aerochamber

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by ldurham View Post
    lol aj its a damn good engine, would you rather me be driving that or a ls1??
    In your truck? I'd take the Vortec over an LS1. Yeah, LS1 has more HP, but the Vortec has more low end.

Now a 6.0, that would go good in your truck.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

stuntmanmike, yea the vortec 350 is badass but im looking for a camaro right now, fast daily driver

Thread Information