SOM
    2002 SS

DOes my Z have a Hurst?

01 bare bones Z28. the shifts are not what I expected of a stock shifter. they're not short like I would think a short-shifter would be but it does feel good. It is tall so I am thinking its a stocker. the shift knob has an ' H ' on it. I remember back in 97 my brothers SS had an option for the Hurst and if I recall correct in some year on some models - perhaps the 98+ SS? - became standard. Or was it standard on all Zs?

I bought a UMI short shift lever and was just curious if I already had a Hurst.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    01 bare bones Z28. the shifts are not what I expected of a stock shifter. they're not short like I would think a short-shifter would be but it does feel good. It is tall so I am thinking its a stocker. the shift knob has an ' H ' on it. I remember back in 97 my brothers SS had an option for the Hurst and if I recall correct in some year on some models - perhaps the 98+ SS? - became standard. Or was it standard on all Zs?

If its the stock knob, then yes....

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Remove the boot. If your shifter has a solid brass plate about a 1/4" thick, it is. If the top looks rounded then no, all you have is the shift knob. I do have a stock Hurst from a 2002 SS if you dont have one and are inertested make me an offer.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

If youre not sure let me know I have both and can take a side to side pic for you.

SOM
    2002 SS

Too lazy to remove the thing right now. So the Hurst came standard on All z28s in 01? What has me wondering is why would they have a leather knob with a 'H' on it and it not be a Hurst. If it was an option it's not on the build order and bill of sale because I have both of those.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Too lazy to remove the thing right now. So the Hurst came standard on All z28s in 01? What has me wondering is why would they have a leather knob with a 'H' on it and it not be a Hurst. If it was an option it's not on the build order and bill of sale because I have both of those.
    Hurst in stock on SS and WS6. If you have it it was replaced by someone else.

White
    '02 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    Hurst in stock on SS and WS6. If you have it it was replaced by someone else.
    Not quite right, the Hurst was an option on the SS, the WS6 I'm not sure about.
    All in all it was not very well thought of in these cars as throws were long and sloppy. Most went to the aftermarket to get better for less.

2001 Black SS #5228

The RPO code (found on driver door) is BBS for "Hurst Short Throw Shifter" it was a $375.00 option in 01. The code will be there if the car came with it.

Thread Information