Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Do ineed the heat shields with stock plug wires?

I'm replacing the spark plug wires but the ones i got are stock version. Do they need the heat shields? Thanks.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 02-12-2011 at 06:13 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you're replacing your wires with stock wires? I would've thrown some MSD's in there. IMO it's not absolutely necessary to run the shields as long as you have space between the wire and header.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you're replacing your wires with stock wires? I would've thrown some MSD's in there. IMO it's not absolutely necessary to run the shields as long as you have space between the wire and header.
    I have MSD's but I think i have one or more wires bad. I have a spare set that i never use but they are OEM. I bought and then I decided to get MSD. I never return them. I just wanted to try and see if my msd wires are the issue. I have stock manifolds

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ahhhh...I gotcha. You should be fine as long as they're not physically touching the manifold.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks. I put them in. I was missing one shield but the cable is out of the way. I can feel a difference with the idle. One of the MSD wires crimping clip looks like is bent. Most of the MSD wires are not clicking at the spark plug side. i think they need replacement. The car was really jumpy in idle and the other day the RPM's dropped close to like 500 and the car was jumping all over the place. This is happenning at idle only. If the car is in gear the idle is more smooth. The plugs are tr 55's and are 10K old.

I will keep an eye at idle now that i have new wires and see if this is part of the issue helps. thanks Orion.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 02-12-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well the idle is still kinda of jumpy but the hesitation is gone. i think is the poly mounts.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

LS1's in general idle rough....just the nature of the engine. If you have poly mounts that's going to make you feel every little wiggle too. Have you cleaned the MAF sensor recently? That might smooth it out a tad if you haven't but you're always going to have somewhat of a rough idle. Just do like I did.....put a cam in it and you can blame the rough idle on the overlap.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

LS1's in general idle rough....just the nature of the engine. If you have poly mounts that's going to make you feel every little wiggle too. Have you cleaned the MAF sensor recently? That might smooth it out a tad if you haven't but you're always going to have somewhat of a rough idle. Just do like I did.....put a cam in it and you can blame the rough idle on the overlap.
    lol thanks I prefer to blame it on the poly mounts. Way cheaper. I clean my MAF everytime I change my oil. One day when I can keep the car in the garage I will to a cam. The thing that gets me too is that i start to rev up slowly in neutral the whole front of the car vibrates until it reaches 1800 rpm. This was happening with OEM motor mounts too. I was told that if it still happens after the mounts were changed that it could be a bad harmonic balancer or torque converter.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hmmmm...yeah, that sounds like a little more than just a rough idle. Does it sound like it's missing or anything like that or just a vibration?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

hmmmm...yeah, that sounds like a little more than just a rough idle. Does it sound like it's missing or anything like that or just a vibration?
    I check for vacumm leaks and Im almost sure i dont have none. I hear air like it sounds from the bottom of the intake but i think is the normal noise from the intake. The problem only happen at idle. The car drives fine. I always had a vibration in the front of the car but I was told that it is a bent wheel. When I start the car the idle stays around 900 rpm and the vibration is almost gone. Then the idle starts to drop to 600-700 rpm after a few mins. That's when the vibration gets worse.

The RPM vibration i feel it when i rev up and the car is out of gear. I kinda of feel some vibration under heavy acceleration but is kinda of hard to tell if its the same issue. I'm not sure where to start with this i dont know how to check these parts. I never had to check a TC or harmonic balancer.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I had my stock wires replaced with a set of aftermarket low ohm wires, and kept the heatshields, and added the heat sleeves (for headers), for extra protection on my stock motor.

SteveC

Thread Information