Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Do I need a tune yet?

Just got done installing the LT's and ORY and Catback, plugs, wires and blocked off the EGR and AIR. I have a LS6 Intake on the way that will be put on as soon as I get it. I'm going to wait to install the cam until I can use my own garage (been using the lift at my buddies shop). My next plan after the LS6 intake is to buy the Strange 12 bolt rear end with 3.73's. Can I just wait until I get the cam in to do the PCM? I could care less about the speedo correction but will I need the PCM done for the intake? Also would a Aftermarker MAF help me at all or should I just wait. I figure on getting the FAST 92/92 when I bought some heads. Any tuners that are really good that are known on the boards for their success? I was going to use pcm4less. I have a buddy that used them with his project car and it worked out great for him. I just want to uncork all the TRQ and HP I can out of this puppy. Any ideas?

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Wow, a lot of questions there. And a lot of mod ideas. Take your time, step into it and build a solid system which works well together.

You're ok without the pcm tune until the cam is installed. If you do the gear change, you can predict your speedo by using some of the programs on line. But I'd tune after the cam. You may need it after heads too, I'm not sure. I don't have cash for heads yet.

Don't even bother with a MAF. Really. The stock one is great for a long time. I changed mine to an aftermarket one, and it took us a long time to diagnose that is was a waste.

Of course if you have money, a dyno tune from a reliable tuner is always a good thing.

As for Mailorder tuners, I used BlackBearPerformance.com. Justin helped me a ton! Frost is also highly recommended on this site.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

I'm just doing the basics for now, when it comes to the cam, heads, rockers and valvetrain, tranny TC, I'll sit down and crunch it all out. I figure if I don't like the GR. I can pull them and go for the 4.10's or 4.56. Got a lot of debate on those, so I'm just going with 3.73 for now. I had them in my Mustang and they woke it up just not quite as much as I'd have liked.

When it come to the engine and tranny I'll draw up a game plan though. Thanks for the advice, especially on the MAF.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well it just depends. Are you saying your on the stock tune still?
    If so your in DRASTIC need of a tune!!
    Yes you can wait but most tuners won't charge you any where near as much to modify the tune after the cam.
    Aftermarket MAF's are JUNK!! Don't waste your time or money!!

Curious as to why you would want to spend that Crazy money on a 12 bolt?
    You can do a 9" cheaper and it's a lot stronger.

We went over this in GREAT detail in the past where I posted CLEAR as day pics so you can see the difference for yourself on a 12 Bolt and a 9".
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information