Thread: Different Lids

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

Different Lids

I know there is the SLP but there is a particular one that I'm looking for but I forget the name I want to say Whisper but I know thats not right... if you guys want to name of the different brands that would be great thanks.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

SLP/Donaldson Blackwing ---> FTW!!!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Slp
    Whisper
    Ls1 motorsports
    Street legal performance
    Texas speed
    Motor sport technologies
    All flow pretty well but some testing a while back says Motor sport tech, had the best results on they dyno an at the track, Although they all flow just about the same.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    I know there is the SLP but there is a particular one that I'm looking for but I forget the name I want to say Whisper but I know thats not right... if you guys want to name of the different brands that would be great thanks.

http://www.motorsporttech.com/press/...ay2004_02.html

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

it seems like slp is the obvious choice for quality however I've been told that they have a problem with fitting under the hood. Could anybody tell me if they have run into problems with their aftermarket lid rubbing on the underside of your hood. what was the brand and did you come across any solutions to the problem.

white
    2002 z28

MTI clear lid,

but the lexan, tighter fit then stock, but lil different modling process then other plastic soo .......
    Last edited by greatwhiteZ28; 10-17-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i have the wisper lid and like it....it fits even better after the free air mod

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    it seems like slp is the obvious choice for quality however I've been told that they have a problem with fitting under the hood. Could anybody tell me if they have run into problems with their aftermarket lid rubbing on the underside of your hood. what was the brand and did you come across any solutions to the problem.
    Yes that is correct. The SLP lid does slightly rub under the hood of my SS camaro. The problem lies in the neck area, it is slightly higher (more round) than most, to help make the turn downward to the intake track.

It's a slight rub that has rubbed the paint off a little, but oh well, what do ya do. I have seen other lids like the clear MTI lid on camaros, and the neck area is much flatter to clear the hood, not much better than the factory lid in this area, and may compromise a little flow around the neck area, but the rest of the lid looked pretty well constructed.

My buddy has a WS6 with the SLP lid installed as well, now his does not rub, the the WS6 hoods give more clearance, enough where this isn't an issue, one reason why the front of the lids have larger opening on the WS6 cars. Camaro SS hoods are tight. Hope that helps.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I wonder if that's a difference between the camaro's and birds. I don't have any rubbing issues on my formula with the SLP lid.

ps
    Why in the heck would you pick firebirdjones as a nick and own an SS???

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I wonder if that's a difference between the camaro's and birds. I don't have any rubbing issues on my formula with the SLP lid.

ps
    Yes I think it is the difference between the cars, I believe the birds have a little more clearance than the camaros.

LOL, I have both a firebird and a couple of camaros. Wife came up with the name because the bird is her favorite car out of the bunch. So it just kinda stuck. She helps support my hobby, what can I say,,,lol.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

ps
    i know there is a difference just bc you cant add that WS6 lower air box assemable. freind and i tried it.

i wish it would work

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes that is correct. The SLP lid does slightly rub under the hood of my SS camaro. The problem lies in the neck area, it is slightly higher (more round) than most, to help make the turn downward to the intake track.

It's a slight rub that has rubbed the paint off a little, but oh well, what do ya do. I have seen other lids like the clear MTI lid on camaros, and the neck area is much flatter to clear the hood, not much better than the factory lid in this area, and may compromise a little flow around the neck area, but the rest of the lid looked pretty well constructed.

My buddy has a WS6 with the SLP lid installed as well, now his does not rub, the the WS6 hoods give more clearance, enough where this isn't an issue, one reason why the front of the lids have larger opening on the WS6 cars. Camaro SS hoods are tight. Hope that helps.

not trying to represent for mti or any thing, ( i bought it casue it looked cool,) but didnt it make more HP on the comparrision test

but all and all, a lid is a lid,

i think to buy the best deal you can find on most lids there basically all the same

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i know there is a difference just bc you cant add that WS6 lower air box assemable. freind and i tried it.

i wish it would work
    Great idea,,,too bad it doesn't fit though.

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    not trying to represent for mti or any thing, ( i bought it casue it looked cool,) but didnt it make more HP on the comparrision test

but all and all, a lid is a lid,

i think to buy the best deal you can find on most lids there basically all the same
    I believe they all flow nearly the same, not enough difference between them all to even see anything at the race track. As you said, a lid is a lid. The biggest improvement you can make is getting rid of all the ribs and things that are under the stock lid. Then you have the neck area, which on the stock lid is rather flat and oblong,,,,even worse than the MTI lid obviously.

All these aftermarket lids have opened the neck area, I just noticed that SLP opens it more than others, but it causes the lid to rub on the hood of my camaro just slightly,,the MTI was rather flat in this area,,,,and fits better on the camaro's, even if this flattened neck area did compromise flow I don't think it would be anything that matters,,,as the biggest gains are made in other areas.

Keep in mind though, mine is an SS car and I couldn't say for sure if that fiberglass SS hood doesn't offer as much clearance as a standard Z28 hood or not.

Thread Information