Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

difference between and LS1 and normal engines

Ok, so i've been 'round here for a long time and have learned all the little parts of the LS1 so how do they compare to like a regular v6 or 4 cylinder? are all the components in similar locations? It's like, i understand our cars, but i think it's pointless to be a "car guy" if i can't apply knowlege universally.

just clearing things up; this is not a "performance" question.

1966 Corvette Coupe

um its a pretty basic engine... i mean pushrod v-8... the coil per cylender things was a lil out there at the time, but now its common... its aluminum block, which we see all the time now...

its nowhere near even a honda motor when it comes to technology... its not like we can change cam timing on the fly...

im not saying that we dont have a good injection system, or they didnt put any special treatment into the motor... theres really not like BAM wow shit... i just think it all came together well producing a stong/dependable motor...

but not having gimiky BAM shit keeps the motor running longer with less problems... i mean if v tec goes out on a honda... you have a terd... or the motors that have electric triggered valves.... that could be really bad....

-me

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i'm more or less curious how to apply ls1 knowledge to, lets say, a ford taurus [my g/f's car] or my beater: an 89 topaz. I mean, i'd love to become mr. fix it and tear into the beater or her DOHC v6 when it goes ghey...and i'm wondering if my general knowlege of an LS1 will even grant me that ability?

1966 Corvette Coupe

well all stroke motors work BASICALLY the same way... i mean you know how the strokes work and what all has to work for a certain thing to happen...

i mean fuel... air... spark...

i wouldnt advise just tearing into a motor because you know another one... you will always run into that "what the hell is this" part... but general fixes and stuff sure... i mean like water pump, or altenator... and i dont know how well you know engines... i dont know how far you have been into one...

and i guess as long as you know what a distributor is its no biggy... carbs are a pain in the ass... but as long as its fuel injected... the taurus is prolly TB injected, but it is still fuel injected (might not be broncos and so forth were port injected back then)... i advise getting a manual on anything that you are going to be working on...

-me

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Just stuff LS1's into everything and your all set!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Are you meaning internal engine parts, or external repairs? You can always draw some similarities. All IC 4 stroke engines have pistons, rods, a crank, cam(s), etc.. They all have an alternator, a water pump, and such too.

But, if changing an alternator was the same on every car, there probably wouldn't be nearly as many people taking their stuff in to repair. The process is similar on all of them, but some cars just aren't easy to work on (like Fords).

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    Just stuff LS1's into everything and your all set!
    Sounds good to me!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I recommend getting a haynes manual for every car you own. IMO they're worth every penny. If you can read you can fix most things using a haynes manual. Experience is the real teacher but having that reference to turn to is nice.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

thanks guys!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

A Toreass Topaz is a whole different ball game when it comes to repair. Just knowing how to work on a F-body doesn't make you familiar with the Ford frontwheel drive world. Like suggested-get a manual and look closely before attempting repair on those cluster f@w&s. Having said that though-getting used to working on any car is just a question of familiarity. I had a 81 Plymouth TC-3 that I knew more about than anybody else I knew,I didn't mind working on it after 7 years of owning it. Alot of my mechanic friends hated those cars-I didn't-it's just a matter of familiarity.

Thread Information