Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Angry Dex Cool engine coolant??????????

I have a 98 z28 and read in the owners manual that dex-cool is the reccomended coolant. I read some bad things about this coolant on the net though. But GM acts like this is the only stuff that works in an aluminum engine(as far as not leaving deposits/corrosion). Is this true??? I have always used Prestone in all my cars but am kinda confused now. Do any of you guys use the "green stuff" such as prestone etc. and is it safe for an aluminum engine??? Thank you fellas---------mike

----- 1 more question please---Is the radiator drain plug on the passenger or drivers side of the car and is it the plastic kind that can usually be turned by hand??? Thanks

Still running the original dexcool that came in my car when new - no issues at all.

Yes it's plastic - on the passenger side, should be able to turn it by hand.

Pewter
    02 Z28

yeah plastic on the passenger side use your hand and not a wrench I used a wrench and broke the thing

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

there are a lot of ppl out there that refer to dex-cool as dex-clog. truth is that i have never seen any problems due to dexcool and neither has any other mechanics i work with. as long as u keep it filled and keep regular maintnence on it there will be no problems

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

DexCool is fine stuff if you follow a few basic rules.

You'll get the most life from it if you mix it with distilled water instead of tap water.
    Air is a big enemy so make sure your cooling system is not leaking and remains full, likewise it's not wise to use any from a jug that's been open for several months.

A lot of the "orange crud" people mistake for DexCool breakdown is from the sealant tabs GM tends to put in every new engine. Nasty stuff, essentially harmless but it can eventually cause your thermostat to stay slightly open or your radiator cap to leak a bit of air. The way I see it the sealant tabs did their job when they were first installed so I don't add them again after a flush.

Incidentally - the best flush is a two part system available form any GM dealer. It's made by Prestone but I've never seen it in a parts store.

Prestone® Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner, GM P/N 12346500

Here's a TSB worth reading, itr really applies to a lot of GM cars:
    http://www.geocities.com/b_gillie/TSB990602012.htm

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    I have a 98 z28 and read in the owners manual that dex-cool is the reccomended coolant. I read some bad things about this coolant on the net though. But GM acts like this is the only stuff that works in an aluminum engine(as far as not leaving deposits/corrosion). Is this true??? I have always used Prestone in all my cars but am kinda confused now. Do any of you guys use the "green stuff" such as prestone etc. and is it safe for an aluminum engine??? Thank you fellas---------mike

----- 1 more question please---Is the radiator drain plug on the passenger or drivers side of the car and is it the plastic kind that can usually be turned by hand??? Thanks
    If you do a search on the "toxic" orange DexCool you will find a thread from a couple of monthes ago where we discussed this in great detail........
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

thanks fellas this helps alot!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    thanks fellas this helps alot!!!
    No problem if I remember right I think we ended up with 3 or 4 pages on the DEATHLY Dex......
    Good Luck

98 Formula
    06 duramax

When I was back home last week my mom actually got a letter in the mail wanting her to join a class action lawsuit over dexcool. I have it in all of my cars with no issues what so ever but I think the next flush and fill I do I'll be switching.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    When I was back home last week my mom actually got a letter in the mail wanting her to join a class action lawsuit over dexcool. I have it in all of my cars with no issues what so ever but I think the next flush and fill I do I'll be switching.
    Hey what kind are you gonna switch to??? The regular "green" stuff??? Is the regular green stuff ok to use in an aluminum engine(LS-1) I Bought some prestone would it hurt to go with that??? Would the Prestone flush kit be ok to flush out my cooling system with?? I would hate to mess something up.
    Thanks---mike ---Damn so many choices anymore!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have never seen a problem with DexCool when the system is operating properly and the flush and fill intervals are followed. I have seen the aforementioned "Clog gunk shit" when the system is leaking allowing air in...or the owner leaves the stuff in for 100K miles. I use it exclusively. I also flush and fill with the Prestone flush stuff and fresh DexCool once a year...and pressure test my system at that time. Pontiac charges me like $75 bucks if I remember to do it all turn key....the flush machine they have gets it all ...takes like 30 minutes and cheap.....
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

Is the regular green stuff ok to use in an aluminum engine(LS-1) I Bought some prestone would it hurt to go with that??? Would the Prestone flush kit be ok to flush out my cooling system with?? I would hate to mess something up.
    its just coolant. it wont mess anything up. dexcool is used mainly for its long life

i switched to no tox because the dexcool ate the rad cap twice.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    i switched to no tox because the dexcool ate the rad cap twice.
    Ok...were you running pure dexcool with no water or something?? That makes no sense at all...

Prestone has the new antifreeze out now that is universal, mixes with "All Makes, Models, and colors". I've used it in a couple cars, and it seems to work fine. Its nice not having to worry about having specific coolant for each car. The T/A still has Dex-cool, when I flush and fill the system in the Spring I may just put the new Prestone stuff in, I dunno yet.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

This is supposed to be fairly decent stuff but yu can usually only find it at wholesalers and truck stops:
    http://www.shell-lubricants.com/prod...ella_elc2.html

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Dexcool is better at preventing corrosion than the green stuff. It is possible to use the green stuff, but aluminum will corrode when used.
    On a jug of dexcool it says that it's good for 5 yrs. or 150K miles. Most people don't replace it when it's supposed to be, and that's not good for your system.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    This is supposed to be fairly decent stuff but yu can usually only find it at wholesalers and truck stops:
    http://www.shell-lubricants.com/prod...ella_elc2.html
    600,000 miles??

Wow, thats nuts, good find. I wonder if its safe for aluminum block/head engines though??

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    its just coolant. it wont mess anything up. dexcool is used mainly for its long life
    WRONG
    It also prevents the aluminum components from corroding.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

From what I recall the Rotella is aluminum friendly. Wouldn't hurt to dig a bit deeper.

all i know is the factory fill ate the cap twice,third time i replaced it and the coolant with no tox polyprolene.Which if you read up on it is very user friendly,safe to touch(unlike ethylene glycol dexcool)and protects much better.I have no idea why the car companies don't use it.I've had good luck with the green stuff too.210k miles on our 89 camaro and the alum rad looks like brand new inside.No rust or corroision.I had the dexcool in the tA changed twice.Once @ 36k and then @ 50k,still ate the rad cap every year and it also ate the top of the radiator where the cap seals.

Thread Information