red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

detonation, tried everything

i have an 02 Z28 M6, at high rpm only at wot the engine pings. I tried everything,full tune up(plugs wires fuelfilter air filter), also tried seafoam, i even changed over the valley pan to the ls6 design to prevent oil consumption,and its still their. I also changed the knock sensors and 0s sensors. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I hear this is common with a lot of ls1's. somebody has to have an answer any thoughts appreciated

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you logged the car by chance and seen how much KR you're getting? Run premium gas I'm assuming? Any mods to the car? Verified fuel pressure? Valve train in good working order? Anything banging under the car? I know it's a lot of questions but it sounds like you've done a lot already trying to find it. I'm just seeing if maybe you're missing something.
    Last edited by 0rion; 07-25-2009 at 08:10 AM.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

yeah, nothing but premium gas, no mods just air lid, i havent checked the fuel pressure or anything though i took it to the dealer once and they just kind of blew it off and said everything was fine

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

What octane is the gas? If you put a cooler thermostat in there it will probably make a big difference.

When you are in open loop (WOT) it runs off the power enrichment fueling tables so as long as they haven't been changed it is probably the carbon build up on the pistons or poor quality gas. Try a different brand, that often helps too.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

i use 93 octane i also tried octane boosters and different brands, no results maybe carbon but i seafoamed the engine a couple times and didnt really change much

I wouldn't say it's common. But Orion is on the money,,,need to log the car and see what you have.
    Since it happens at higher rpms I'd definately check the fuel pressure as suggested too. If the pump is weak and dropping pressure it would likely cause a high rpm lean condition.

black
    2002 TA WS7

has anything been changed on the car that would retard or advance the timing? or possible carbon build up like daddyss said.

Quote Originally Posted by 02fbody35th View Post
    i have an 02 Z28 M6, at high rpm only at wot the engine pings. I tried everything,full tune up(plugs wires fuelfilter air filter), also tried seafoam, i even changed over the valley pan to the ls6 design to prevent oil consumption,and its still their. I also changed the knock sensors and 0s sensors. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I hear this is common with a lot of ls1's. somebody has to have an answer any thoughts appreciated
    NOWAY.....is it completely stock? I would NOT run it WOT until you get some good help with this unless you like broken melted pistons and broken ring lands. You could have anything from low fuel pressure to clogged injector screens. DO NOT RUN AT WOT UNTIL YOU FIND IT...trust me on this.

Another thing thats very odd is the PCM should be pulling timing and slowing the car down stopping the pinging.
    I'm betting you have partially block injector screens, rust can build up in the fuel system in these cars and block the screens.

red
    2002 camaro 35th anv.

i thought about that but how can i figure out if it is that, would a pressure test determine that

Thread Information