Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

DD Catalytic Converter Question

Since selling my Ranger, I have been driving our '98 Dodge Durango on a daily basis. Quite regularly, it will trip the Check Engine light for a "catalytic inefficiency" code. It is the same code every time. It has the 5.2 with a 2 into 1 exhaust setup, so there is only one (1) converter and one (1) rear O2 sender. I just turned 96,000 miles on it this week.

I have not noticed any driveability issues, the power seems the same as it always has, and the mileage has not suffered at all (not that it ever got decent mileage to begin with). I hate throwing parts at something and am unsure if I have a faulty O2 sender, an actual bad converter, or if it is just the crap they sell for gas around here that is causing the light.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

318? My guess it's not much different than how our cars emissions systems work.. Most likely the cat is crapping out.. I don't follow Dodgit's much so I can't tell you which of the 2 is the lesser of 2 evils as far a price.. But I'd start pricing both imho.. Can't see a cat delete harming anything either.. I have a buddy whom had an old mid or late 90's duhkoduh (318), had his whole exhaust fall off he replaced it lol by piecing it together without a cat.. Still ran fine for a dodgit.. However fine for him and fine for you maybe 2 different things lol.. It did'nt seem to misfire or have any AFR issues to me Hope that helps..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-16-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I really don't have a problem with a "test pipe", but can I get an O2 sim for this thing? Check Engine lights kind of bother me.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I really don't have a problem with a "test pipe", but can I get an O2 sim for this thing? Check Engine lights kind of bother me.
    Y'd imagine yes, tho I also can't see those sims being anymore reliable than they are for us.. In many cases they work for only a short time and sometimes not @ all.. Kinda hit or miss it seems.. Let me take a look here..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I made a mechanical O2 simulator for my Blazer with a hollowed converter and it worked great. Go to the parts store and buy 2 Help!brand spark plug anti-foulers.

Drill out the one to make room for the sensor and then screw them together like this:

This spaces the O2 sensor away from direct exhaust flow which makes the sensor read lazy because it only sampling a small amount of exhaust and simulates a fully functional converter.

It works!!! I've tried it.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 09-16-2010 at 05:05 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

With a quick search, it looks like a place called, "Speedtweaks" carries what's called a "Kat box" and which goes between the harness plug for it.. I also see they may have changed the name to "02 SIMM".. Quote I read was ~80 bucks..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Now that is a great idea!

What about the fact that I don't seem to have any failing converter symptoms?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I made a mechanical O2 simulator for my Blazer with a hollowed converter and it worked great. Go to the parts store and buy 2 Help!brand spark plug anti-foulers.
    Click for full size

Screw drill out the one to make room for the sensor and then screw them together like this:
    Click for full size

This spaces the O2 sensor away from direct exhaust flow which makes the sensor read lazy because it only sampling a small amount of exhaust and simulates a fully functional converter.

It works!!! I've tried it.

WOW! I did'nt know you could do that! I've thought about trying something like this before but never did.. Thanks Cutlass! I'm gonna give this a try myself too..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

normal. I see the codes for bad converters far more often then the symptoms of a bad converter

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Mine did'nt either then one day BOOM I figured it had to have been going for some time.. I swear I thought the motor popped.. I have a thread here about the experiance.. I mean it ran way bad.. Popped, back fired, missed, just sounded awefull.. But the day before she ran just fine.. Good Luck..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just did a little on-line looking and found that converters aren't all that expensive. May just slap one on it and see what happens then. I always thought I would be getting some symptoms if it was failing. Thanks for the info guys!

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

???

Since selling my Ranger, I have been driving our '98 Dodge Durango on a daily basis. Quite regularly, it will trip the Check Engine light for a "catalytic inefficiency" code. It is the same code every time. It has the 5.2 with a 2 into 1 exhaust setup, so there is only one (1) converter and one (1) rear O2 sender. I just turned 96,000 miles on it this week.

I have not noticed any driveability issues, the power seems the same as it always has, and the mileage has not suffered at all (not that it ever got decent mileage to begin with). I hate throwing parts at something and am unsure if I have a faulty O2 sender, an actual bad converter, or if it is just the crap they sell for gas around here that is causing the light.
    > its a bad cat or a cat that is on the edge....
    >get a cheap smog test done. The numbers will show if the cat is good or bad.
    >remember that there is an O2 sensor before the cat and sometimes one after the cat. The one before measures AFR and if your car seems to be driving fine-and you get a cat effic. code-then its most likly the cat.

Smog test it to fnd out,,or replace cat and rear o1 sensor. Also,,,if it passes smog,,take it to a tuner and get all post cat codes deleted,,or better off,,buy a checvy camaro or vette,,etc,,,dump the dodge,,ha ha,,

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We live in an area of the state that does not require smog testing. As such, none of our local service stations have the equipment. Possibly the dealerships, but I have several friends that work at them and they have never mentioned smog testing a car before.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just picked up a new cat from the Zone for around $80.00 -- made in U.S.A., 5 year warranty and even came with a cool Cherry Bomb sticker.

Thread Information