Thread: dash cracking

Cool dash cracking

Help today I have noticed my dash is cracking. is there a way to fix that ? How hard is it to replace the top part of the dash. The only part that is bad is under the windshield I guess I also Need a Car cover for my car I have a 2002 Trans Am who makes a great cover for the car ?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Is it the hard plastic part of the dash closer to the windshield, or the soft vinyl dash like where the heater vents are??

Mine cracked in towards the center on the hard plastic part, right near where the vinyl meets the plastic. Not much you can do for it, I think its due to expansion and contraction of the dash with temp changes more than anything else.

If the vinyl part cracks though, thts probably from not using protectant and letting it get too dried out.

it is the hard plastic by the windshield starting cracking it does not really look like it has dried out still noce and shiny and black

how hard it is to replace and how much to order from GM how can i find out the part number

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

230 from gm 135 plus shipping off gmpartsdirect....o used
    heard it pops in/out,..i need to replace mine but havent yet

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TA421 View Post
    it is the hard plastic by the windshield starting cracking it does not really look like it has dried out still noce and shiny and black
    Like I said, it won't "dry out". Its simply hard plastic. I believe it cracks from expansion and contraction as the temperature changes, nothing you can really do about it.

Using protectant will really only benefit the vinyl part of the dash, not the hard plastic part you're referring to.

Would a car cover help this from NOT happening again ? If yes where do I get the best cover for this car the rest of her still looks new I only have 27,000 I used to be able to keep the car in the garage but since the last hurricane we had to move a lot stuff in there and the car outside

How hard is it to change this ? Any threads on how to Yea I cant leave her like this it just looks so bad to me I have to keep her looking like NEW ALL THE TIME

Mine's been cracked for sometime also. I yanked the whole damn thing out, car looked so damn ghetto. Now I have no dash, so it's really ghetto. Gotta get that in the mail soon as I replace the wheels on my cbr.

hey I was trying to find the part number from GMpartsdirect.com for a 2002 uper dash panel I just cant leave it cracked

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by TA421 View Post
    hey I was trying to find the part number from GMpartsdirect.com for a 2002 uper dash panel I just cant leave it cracked
    dont know the part number but go to catalog, click on instrument panel, instrument panel again, then crash pad. . . $135.77

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I had my dash crack twice hairline by the defrost openings on drivers side. This was when car was nearly new. Gm replaced under warranty.I finally told gm how to fix it .They cut the plastic pins off and replaced with round velcro. Problem solved. No cracks since! I had subframe brace and subframe connectors since car was new. Didn't help.I zainoed hell out of my dash and kept it in the garage. Didn't help. Cut those pins and replace with round velcro!

Those pins seem to cause too much stress.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

couldn't of said it better myself 99taws6... on a similar note we have a identicle problem with our door panels cracking because of uneven stress from staples holding the window felt on... if you ever find the need to take your interior door panels off for some reason take the time to do the fix for this. Ebony interiors seem worse for this problem then grey I think they thinned out the molds when they made the switch.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I put tons of protector stuff on my dash and the car was garaged.It cracked the first time at a few thousand miles than again a few thousand later. It hasn't since cuting off those pins and replacing with velcro.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAWS6 View Post
    I put tons of protector stuff on my dash and the car was garaged.It cracked the first time at a few thousand miles than again a few thousand later. It hasn't since cuting off those pins and replacing with velcro.
    Which plastic pins are you talking about?? Where are they located??

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

The dash piece on the top of the dash. It is held down with pins.Isn't this the one we are talking about.thats the one that kept cracking on my car..the big dash top piece.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAWS6 View Post
    The dash piece on the top of the dash. It is held down with pins.Isn't this the one we are talking about.thats the one that kept cracking on my car..the big dash top piece.
    Gotcha. Never had mine out, thats why I was asking about the pins.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

So is it simply with the heat? Or does the direct sunlight have anything to do with it. I have a nice chunk break off near the slots that have the red LED. I'm buying a new one and I was wanting to wrap it in a micro suede to reduce glare at least but also curious if that'd help keep it from cracking again. Also, I've got a crack under the furthest left vent. kind of follows the circle. What would have caused that?

white
    2000 ws6

Crash pad

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    dont know the part number but go to catalog, click on instrument panel, instrument panel again, then crash pad. . . $135.77
    I have a 2000 ws6 and i was just making sure that the Crash pad is the piece of the dash closest to the window. My dash is also cracked their.

Thread Information