Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Crying... Starter snapped off - Need advice

Hello again guys and gals.... Got underneath her today and found that my starter was snapped off, so even though it was operational, the gear wasn't making contact to crank.... One bolt mount on the starter was broken off, but my problem is that the other bolt broke with the carbody side mount.
    Two Questions :
    1. Is that the bell housing that it is mounted to ??

2. If it is/isn't, does anyone have an idea of $ wise, the cost of replacing the housing where it snapped ?
    Thanks in advance.....
    (currently in mourning)

89 porche Red
    1970 Camaro RallySport

usally the starter is bolted to the block , what did u break the bolts or the ear of the starter?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sure that's not just the starter that broke where the bolt passes through it? I just went out and looked at mine and that looks like the back of the block that the bolts actually thread into. How in the heck did you break that? That's a pretty thick chunk of metal.

Red

I have an LS1 on the engine stand, and would be more than happy to post some pics of the starter, and where it mounts on the block for you if it would help. They will show up later today on my fquick under the 67 Camaro at

http://www.fquick.com/67RSSS

Put up a pic of the starter and the location it mounts. Note that the block is upside down. Forgive the mess, just getting ready to clean the engine up....
    Last edited by 67rsss; 04-19-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Red

Looks like I can post them here....

This is where the starter mounts. Note the two tapped holes in the chunk that extends from the block

Here is the end of the starter that the bolts go through.....

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

A BIG THANK YOU for all who responded, especially with the pics and info.
    Here's my miserable update..... She's on a lift now, and you can see in the pic attached what gave.... The inner hole and thread are good....the starter mount broke there.... But the outer corner of the outside hole cracked.
    I have two painful problems.....
    1. trying to find an alum welder to weld that broken piece back (if possible)
    2. making sure the engine isn't damaged by possible water-lock... I was able to manually turn the crankshaft w/ plugs in ( 2 piston / valve compression cycles ) but believe I still might have some water in there.... What happened was I went through (and subsequently stalled out) in a flooded area that came up to the bottom of the door sill, but just not enough to spill into the car with the door open. Was only going about 5 mph to get through it, but she stalled....I did try to start her once (like an idiot....I'm still kicking myself) then pushed her out. I probably snapped the starter off in the water when I tried to start it.
    Wish me luck guys..... I'm still crying.
    Attachment 11527

Delco-Remy has issued a starter with a new design specifically to combat this problem. You will no longer have 1 short and 1 long bolt. Been around for almost a year now, yet you never see anyone mention it on any of the LS1 sites...

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Delco-Remy has issued a starter with a new design specifically to combat this problem. You will no longer have 1 short and 1 long bolt. Been around for almost a year now, yet you never see anyone mention it on any of the LS1 sites...
    hey Marc.... any idea though if the bolts are re-positioned ?? I'm screwed because the threaded hole on the block is broken... Can't find a welder that'll work with the engine in the car... Trying not to get $$$ raped

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

can you take a few pictures of the damage? maybe someone has some ideas.I'm thinking if you broke off the starter you may have bend a rod or worse.I would pull all the plugs and turn the engine over by hand.should turn free and evenly no binding.depending how the block broke it may be possible to fab some kind of starter mount that you would need to drill new holes to mount.i'm thinking maybe using the new design starter with some kind or bracket to attach the outside bolt might get it.rigged for sure but at least it would get you started.looking at the pictures above i can see one posible solution would be fabing a cover plate that bolts to a new hole drilled into the starter mount,then machine the plate thickness off the new starter.the outside bolt would then thread into the plate.
    Last edited by Rivi; 04-19-2007 at 01:49 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I will post pics tomorrow.... You are reading my mind.... I think I can fab a bracket that will mount between the block and the bell housing using the two existing bolts holding the block and bell together.... 90 degree angle bracket will then be in position of broken hole of block with (i guess) a threated tap plate..... maybe..... I do like the idea of also modding the starter and maybe threading it there.... Hmmm. So far, thanks a mil for the responses and ideas...

89 porche Red
    1970 Camaro RallySport

wow , yeah i thik ur skrewed on that one, ur gona have to fab up some type of bracket like they were sayin , oh man have fun with that

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Syco View Post
    hey Marc.... any idea though if the bolts are re-positioned ?? I'm screwed because the threaded hole on the block is broken... Can't find a welder that'll work with the engine in the car... Trying not to get $$$ raped
    Unfortunately for you the stock holes are used. But, if you do repair the block update the starter!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

where in ny are you?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    where in ny are you?
    In Yonkers.... You ?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

out on long island. i have a friend who tig welds, but he is lives out further than me.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Here's the pics of the damage... I put in a claim, and we'll see how much they'll gimme for an engine... Depending on price, I'll either drop a new LS1 or a new LS6 in her depending on the amount they'll pay.

Red

That can be fixed, but not with it in the car. A good TIG welder should be able to make it as strong as new, and for a whole lot less than the cost of a new motor.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

wow i;d be looking for more damage after seeing that.took alot to break that starter off.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    wow i;d be looking for more damage after seeing that.took alot to break that starter off.
    yep, have you tried turning the car by hand to see if the motor will spin? It really is starting to add up to hydrolock.

tig it, damn that motor needs to be pulled

Thread Information