Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

cruise control module

my cruise control doesn't work. i replaced the turn signal lever thinking it was in there and that wasn't it. i checked the fuse and that was fine. so i was going to look at getting a new cruise control module to try and take care of my issue. the

haynes manual and alldata both say that the cruise control module is located on the left front frame rail...but...

...on the passenger strut tower located directly behind the battery is a unit that has two throttle cables coming into it and one out of it and to the throttle body. to me it looks like a cruise control module...yet the manuals claim otherwise.

so i'm quite confused. any thoughts?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

anybody?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

the component in question is located directly in front of the passenger side strut tower to the left of the a/c receiver/dryer and directly behind the battery. it has cables connecting into it and one running out to the throttle body.

what is it? i can find nothing in haynes or on alldata about this component.

Before you toss anymore parts at it,,,,crawl under the dash and make sure the brake light switch on the brake pedal is adjusted properly.

If you have a standard shift,,,,also check the switch on the clutch pedal as well.

If either one of these switches are not adjusted properly,,,or not working at all,,,,the cruise will not engage.

When the cruise was not working on my wifes car,,,, I found the clutch pedal switch completely out of the bracket and hanging from the harness.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Before you toss anymore parts at it,,,,crawl under the dash and make sure the brake light switch on the brake pedal is adjusted properly.

If you have a standard shift,,,,also check the switch on the clutch pedal as well.

If either one of these switches are not adjusted properly,,,or not working at all,,,,the cruise will not engage.

When the cruise was not working on my wifes car,,,, I found the clutch pedal switch completely out of the bracket and hanging from the harness.
    I also have this problem. I will have to give this a look

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i don't feel bad about it...it hasn't worked since i got the car...and i had a signal lever from my monte carlo in the garage that i swapped in there so i realistically haven't spent any money on it yet.

i'll have to take a look at those switches though. it is a manual trans. i'll take a look at alldata and see what they give for specs and whatnot on it and see what i can find.

haynes basically said that if the brake lights come on that the switch is working properly.

thanks for the info!

Black
    99 Formula

If you got a M6 and like to drop the clutch, i"ll gaurantee you the switch for the clutch got shot out of it's bracket like a slingshot. It's not the switch that breaks butt the plastic clip that holds the switch. The CC module is on the frame rail under the fuse/relay box, driver side of radiator, butt don't waste your time or $ there. Clip is about $5.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzimoto View Post
    If you got a M6 and like to drop the clutch, i"ll gaurantee you the switch for the clutch got shot out of it's bracket like a slingshot. It's not the switch that breaks butt the plastic clip that holds the switch. The CC module is on the frame rail under the fuse/relay box, driver side of radiator, butt don't waste your time or $ there. Clip is about $5.
    The clutch switch on my wifes car was actually threaded into a socket and could be adjusted. Albeit the threads were plastic,,,but there was no way it would shoot out of the bracket,,,,it has to be physically threaded out like a bolt. And the harness has to be unplugged to do so.

So someone was under the dash tinkering around with this one, and plugged the switch back in leaving it dangle and never bothering to thread it back into the bracket. I don't understand some people.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    Click for full size

the component in question is located directly in front of the passenger side strut tower to the left of the a/c receiver/dryer and directly behind the battery. it has cables connecting into it and one running out to the throttle body.

what is it? i can find nothing in haynes or on alldata about this component.
    Traction control module

My car isn't equipped with ASR so I don't have one on my car.

And as the other guys suggested, check the switch on the clutch pedal.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

thanks wesman...that makes sense now why some engine bays have them and others don't.

i'll definitely have to check that switch now. based upon the condition of the tires of the car when i get it i would have to say that the last owner liked to do a lot of heavy smokey burnouts.

how does one adjust the clutch switch? you say you turn it in or out?
    Last edited by 1MileCrash; 04-14-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

good point seeing as i have the same problem of my CC not working. I'm givin this a try..

thanks wesman...that makes sense now why some engine bays have them and others don't.

i'll definitely have to check that switch now. based upon the condition of the tires of the car when i get it i would have to say that the last owner liked to do a lot of heavy smokey burnouts.

how does one adjust the clutch switch? you say you turn it in or out?
    Yes, mine adjusts by unplugging the harness and screwing it in or out. I actually cannot see where the clutch pedal could even possibly shove the switch out,,,not only is it screwed in,,,but the pedal only contacts the spring loaded trigger and never comes in contact with the whole housing.
    Once the pedal travels to it's up most position,,,it's only pushing on the little spring switch. I even have mine screwed in all the way to make sure the switch is triggered, and it still doesn't contact any of the housing at all. I don't see the switch going anywhere even if I sidestep the pedal.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

alrighty. well perhaps it'll make a lil more sense when i get under there in the next couple days and take a look at it. if nothing else i'll just tinker with it until i get it to work.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

well i went to do my spark plugs today and after 30 minutes and only getting one plug out i gave up on that one...put the plug back in and decided to go after the clutch switch.

got under the dash and found the switch. there are two of them that are similar. this is what i was able to determine.

the switch has a probe that moves in and out of the body of the switch. when the clutch is fully out (in the normal driving position) the probe should touch the prong on the clutch pedal and the probe should be fully depressed into the body of the switch. on mine the probe was all the way out with the clutch in the normal operating position.

so...pop the switch out and disconnect the plug (it's in a terrible position behind a distribution block and the plug sucks) popped it back in and turned it until the probe was fully inside the switch body (turned it unti the probe touched the clutch pedal and the pedal forced the probe into the switch body).

i'll get out on the highway again on monday and we'll see how it works. i'll make a post on the results.

Yep, if that switch wasn't even depressed when the clutch pedal is completely out,,,,then you have found the problem on the cruise,,,or at least one of the problems,,,hope that's it.

Now that you have been under there you can see what I meant when I said I don't even see how these could get out of adjustment at all unless someone was under there screwing around with it.

Black
    99 Formula

Yes, mine adjusts by unplugging the harness and screwing it in or out. I actually cannot see where the clutch pedal could even possibly shove the switch out,,,not only is it screwed in,,,but the pedal only contacts the spring loaded trigger and never comes in contact with the whole housing.
    Once the pedal travels to it's up most position,,,it's only pushing on the little spring switch. I even have mine screwed in all the way to make sure the switch is triggered, and it still doesn't contact any of the housing at all. I don't see the switch going anywhere even if I sidestep the pedal.
    Thanks for varifying my point. Its the $5 clip that breaks, not the switch. The clip does not mysteriously desentigrate, something has to cause it to break. The impact (shock) of the trigger on the switch of the pedal causes the clip to break sending switch out. Yes the switch isn't gonna go far due to being attached to harness and all the other crap behind it, butt it is caused from the impact. That's my experiance.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

well i am happy to report that for the first time owning this car (2 years now) i have cruise control.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Could you post some pics of this....I have the same prob and was going the same route you were doing (get new parts...), however if it is just a $5 clip.....

I am just not sure what to look for...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

honestly mine wasn't even a clip issue it was that somehow the probe was no longer making contact with the clutch pedal.

i can describe it and try to get some pics over the next week or two but i can't promise much...i'm swamped.

basically you take off the knee panel below the steering column and then the kick panel that is held on with the two pop tabs.

then you go to the clutch pedal. start at the bottom and work you way up it with your eyes. you will encounter two switches...one just above the other. the one that you are looking for is the top switch...it sits directly behind the connection block for the steering column wires and has one single black electrical connector (the bottom switch has two electrical connectors). if the probe on the top switch is all the way out and/or is not making contact with the flat portion of the clutch pedal, the cruise control won't activate. basically the cruise control module will think that the clutch is always engaged even when it isn't. what you want is for the probe to be pushed into the body of the switch as it touches the flat part of the pedal. this allows the cruise control module to know that the clutch is not engaged and that the cruise control can be activated.

it may sound confusing but once you get under there and take a look it's really very straight forward and easy to understand.

honestly mine wasn't even a clip issue it was that somehow the probe was no longer making contact with the clutch pedal.
    Thats good to hear. Thats the exact same situation I have found with all the ones I have messed with. Never seen anything broken but somehow that switch is always unscrewed from the bracket as if someone was under there not knowing what they were doing

Thread Information