Silver / Black Top
    1998 Camaro Convertible

Crnk twice to strt, now pull O2 cods @ full throtl

The last couple years I haven't been driving my camaro much. I just moved to SC and work is only a couple miles away so I have been driving it much more. Lately, I have been having to crank the car twice to get it to start and now, just today, when I punched it, it pulled Bank 2 O2 codes. What could be the problem. In this tank of gas, a couple weeks ago, I put an injector cleaner in the gas to see if it would stop the cranking twice problem. Anybody had this problem or know what is going on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Galen Parker; 07-29-2008 at 04:08 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what were the codes that it threw? I would maybe suspect a fuel pump/filter problem for the cranking issue and if was p0174 which is a lean code that would almost confirm it. How many miles on the filter? If it sat for a while there could've just been a bunch of junk get into the filter and half way clog it.
    Instead of cranking it twice you could always just prime the pump twice. Just turn the key to run then back off twice instead of trying to crank on the car, basically what you're doing now except it won't be turning the car over.

If you have a fuel pressure gauge handy throw that on the end of the fuel rail and turn the key on and see what kind of pressure you have at the rail....should be ~58psi. Watch it and see if it starts dropping too, that would be a regulator problem. If your codes were lean codes though the first thing I would do is swap out that filter if it has many miles on it or has been in the car while it's been sitting.
    Last edited by 0rion; 07-30-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Silver / Black Top
    1998 Camaro Convertible

I don't remember the codes. I just remember it was O2 codes for Bank 2. I will check tonight though. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but maybe Autotap will tell me what it is. I have changed the filter once since I had the car. It has ~75k miles. If the weather is not bad Saturday I will change it then. That's a good idea. Thanks alot.

Red
    2000 SS Camaro

Maybe battery

After you check what Orion, suggested if all looks good how old is the battery ? It may have good volt but low amps. Injector offset vs battery voltage those valuse are added to the injector pulse width as the delay time it takes for the injector to operate.

It has a varience with battery volts and amps and can delay the opening so can cause what I say a hard start or long crank. I believe that table is used from starting to wide open throttle.

One other thing to try turn key on but dont start, depress gas pedal to the floor and release sets car to a clear flood state, then trying cranking and see if it fires up, if so may have a injector problem. Just some thing to check.

Silver / Black Top
    1998 Camaro Convertible

Update

Alright. Swapped out the fuel filter. No change. Still pulls codes.
    P0151 HO2S Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1
    P0157 HO2S Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2
    P0157 HO2S Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 2

Bad Cat? Injector problem? Any ideas?

Silver / Black Top
    1998 Camaro Convertible

ttt

Red
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Parker View Post
    ttt
    I dont think its the cat those are usually P04??? numbered codes, I will read back threw post and try to come up with some idea's when I get home for you. Also do you still have your rear 02 installed.????

Silver / Black Top
    1998 Camaro Convertible

yea, still have rear O2s. Exhaust is stock except for flowmaster muffler. I was thinking 3 possibilities:
    1. Bad Cats
    2. Clogged Fuel Injectors
    3. Spark Plugs need to be changed

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

my car also takes to cranks to start up. has done that since i got it last august at 89k miles, now has 98k miles. i dont have rear o2's or cats, and put new plugs/wires on. its not a big deal to me, but i will be putting on a fuel filter at 100k. dont know if it will help mine since you already did that on yours.

check this out, its a lot to read, but it may help.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206
    Last edited by transAMchubby; 08-04-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Red
    2000 SS Camaro

voltages

I think to trouble shoot, gonna need a scan tool but here are voltages that you should be seeing.

Ho2s bank1 10-1000 mv and varying
    Ho2s bank2 10-1000 mv and varying

Make sure you have good grounds also.

Thread Information